• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New to Tonka

fishwithteeth

I will be fishing Minnetonka 8/5 for muskies and bass. Not looking for the "hot spot" but could use some help as far as what type of structure to look for, what time, and what type of baits. Thank you for any help!

I fish Tonka for muskies a few times a year and mostly fish weeds with DEEP water nearby. There's lots of spots like that on the lake. The only exception is a shallow weed flat I do pretty well on with nothing over 20 feet deep within 3/4 mile of it.

I go early or late to avoid the recreational traffic. I like throwing topwaters but the last two fish we've had out there have come on a slider and a bucktail.

The last time I was on Tonka was 3 weeks ago, we saw 4 different fish and had one on for a while. Black bucktail was our hot bait that day.

I don't fish bass so I can't help you too much with that, other than to say there's usually some bass guys fishing around and in my muskie spots.

It seems like crankbaits going through the baitfish schools are working nicely. I recmomened this to some guys on boats who were throwing spinerbaits with no luck and they came back to me 3 hours later with 7 pictures of nice bass >_<. lol wish i was on a boat. But try "matching the hatch" with crankbait and find schools of bait fish..

Good luck!