• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Need Help from experts about WaterFoul Hunting

"another IT GUY"

This year I would like to start Water Foul hunting. I've hunted deer and small game for about 10 years. I don't have a partner yet, though I have one in mind. Any of you experts in here would like to help me out. I have a 12ft jon boat, the shotties are ready a 12 and a 20. I know I need decoys, waders and learn how to call. How do I setup, just like fishing what kind of structures am I looking for when setting up? Maybe someone could even take me out once so I could get a hands on approach? I will be hunting WI mostly but dont mind spending money hunting MN. HELP!! Please help me out, I know someone will. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!! grin.gif

Scroll down the list of forums until you get to the Hunting section, there is a hunting forum specifically for waterfowl. You'll find what you need there grin.gif

You may need all those depending on what type of area that you will be hunting in. I go all over the place so I do have my boat, waders, etc.

In Northern Minnesota where I do all my hunting I am mainly focusing on Wild Rice Patches, Points that ducks will funnel around, Islands placed in the middle of small bays, points of creeks/rivers, Sand Bars...you name it. What you are going to want to find is a food source and where they are roosting, once you have that figured out duck hunting gets really easy.

A couple dozen dekes should do. Most people like to go with Mallards, I have more Diver Dekes 'cause thats what we hunt more up here, but Mallard Decoys will draw all types of waterfowl in.

You can use the boat to retrieve decoys if you are hunting off of a point or the water is too deep. We either tuck the boat behind the point or sometimes we hunt right from the boat(we have a blind built on it). It just depends on the type of area you are hunting.

As far as calling, I wouldn't be too worried about it. Some of my best hunts I haven't even touched my call. But get one and start learning, its alot of fun. Simple quacks and chuckles are the best sounds to replicate. Getting a tape helps too when you first start learning. There are many great calls out there that are easy to blow. I got started on a double reed and to like using a double reed alot.

The others will have some insight as well. I know its general info, but there is so much info out there that could be included in this post, I just don't know where to start. Read some articles and some of the backdated posts too...there is a wealth of information out there. Also Google "duckhunting" or something like that.

I agree about the calling, or lack of it. And 2 dozen dekes is enough to start. I might go with dozen mallards and even teal, or wood ducks if you are going to hit smaller waters. We also hunt divers the most, but boats and lots of stuff get included them smile.gif

The biggest piece of advice is to get another job, cause you will get addicted smile.gif no kidding, you will love it and start wanting all the gear, hehe.

For the main point about how to set up, always try to have the wind at your back, as they land into the wind. Next best is to have it coming over one of your shoulders. Never hunt facing the wind (unless hunting Canvasback, for another time, hehe). As Tearin said, a point or island is always good bet, but you can also do well in bays or anywhere where there is a slight blockage of wind. I like having my dekes right on the edge of where the wind is making ripples next to calm water, as you want your decoys to have movement. Otherwise they look like stumps out there. And for the most part, don't put your dekes more than 25-30 yards (farthest one) from you, ideally much closer than that. That will keep your shots within good killing range.

edit: ooops, I see you already have boat, so this part is moot, but will leave it anyway....

But I will say that best thing you can prolly get is a small duck boat, an actual small duck boat like a Carstens Puddler (we have two) or an Otter. These are only 8' long and light and easy to haul and store, as I bet you can haul them in a hatch back if you have to. It will get you to about anywhere you need, and then you won't need a dog either, as they float in about 3" of water. About $600 new, or I know you can get them for about $350 like new. So kinda spendy, but well worth it as it gives you access to more places.

As for camo, you can prolly use most of your deer hunting stuff, but having duck hunting stuff is really nice and will help you blend in. I would get some waders as well. Some don't like neoprene, but I would suggest the Cabelas style that you can get for about $60, thin and comfy, using wading pants underneath for warmth and comfort. Personally I like the stocking feet style, with wading boots as it just is way more comfortable walking, like walking in running shoes rather than having big old boards strapped to your feet.

Hope that helps some, and have fun duckin'!

Finding the right spot, is the key. Just like any other hunting or fishing even for that matter. I spend just as much , if not more, time scouting compared to hunting. Scouting is key.

Two books I recommend is "successful guide to duck hunting" and Successful guide to goose hunting". I bought them from amazon slightly used for cheap. Amazon has lots of used hunting books. They have good info.

Quote:

Finding the right spot, is the key. Just like any other hunting or fishing even for that matter. I spend just as much , if not more, time scouting compared to hunting. Scouting is key.

EXACTLY!!

i think the biggest thing to learn about waterfowling is accurately identifying ducks in flight. this becomes especially important early season when the males do not have much of a colorfull plumage yet. knowing what birds are approaching you is probably the single most important thing in waterfowling.

Dear IT Guy: WaterFOWL hunting is often done in FOUL weather. Sometimes decoy lines get FOULED, as you get ready to fool the FOWL. Fooled FOWL ofen come in so fast it FOULS up your swing and you miss your shot at the waterFOWL. Some waterFOWL make fools of those of us who are FOUL shots.

No foolin'! grin.gif

The best advice for waterfowl hunting success is to do your scouting and get to where the ducks/geese want to be.

As far as calling goes... Don't worry about it too much. More ducks have been saved by the call than killed by the call. Calling is much more important in goose hunting however. Buy a quality call with an instructional dvd and start practicing.

Scouting and calling, along with decoys and all the other gear you'll need are all invaluable pieces to the puzzle of duck and goose hunting. It takes a lot of practice on a call and a lot of money on the gear (depending on how serious you take it) if you really want to get into it.

For now, if you're just getting your feet wet, don't go overkill on all the fancy new stuff that "every serious waterfowler can't live without." If you could get out with someone who knows what they're doing and see how it all goes down first hand, I feel that would be the best approach to learn about waterfowling basics. If you go out a couple times and find yourself constantly thinking about being out in the blind when you should be thinking about something else, then you can drop all your money into gear that you need and "think you need."

Go early season with 1/2 dozen oversized dekes (Mallard),2 Canada Goose dekes , 1 Double reed duck call you leave in the truck,1 goose call you can make the basic goose noises with, some time spent scouting, knowledge of the regulations and Duck Identification, Boat or waders if shallow water hunting, Gun, shells, Head lamp flashlight to keep your hands free, Camo, license/stamps. If you have access to private land Great, if not get there early to make sure you get your spot. If you like the result then start working your way up into the better equipment. Keep it simple and enjoyable. Bring good friends and have fun. It is a sport of trial and error you learn new things everytime you go out. Once it gets into your blood you will find yourself thinking of it everyday.

I would agree it would be best if you found someone already into it. The difficulty is Hunting spots are sacred ground. Duck hunters spend alot of time locating places to go that produce without alot of pressure from other hunters. This is especially true with public hunting grounds. That is why scouting and preparation are so important. Find some spots you think will produce then make a plan. If someone is already there when you arrive then move to your back-up spot. Good luck and have fun. smile.gif

FnF

Thanks for all your replies!! Very good information. We'll see how this goes! Thanks!!! grin.gif