• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
JohnMickish

6.0 Ford Diesel

Question

JohnMickish

I see here that whenever a pickup discusion comes up people bring up the 6.0. What exactly are the problems with this motor in it's stock configuration, and what are the fixes?

6 answers to this question

Scott K

email me and I will give you all the info you need on these engines, I just dont want to put this out for all eyes.

skkehoe@frontiernet.net

Ryan_V

why not share for those of us who are in the market for a diesel???

Powerstroke

Where to start?!? There is a laundry list of problems. One could check out the recalls for a good start. There are also places to find all the TSB's (technical service bulletin). This explains things that are of concern, but may not be emergency type problems such as programming issues.

LMITOUT

I remember reading that there were over 70 items that were changed, improved, etc. after the first year of the 6.0 and that was on the engine alone. Sure, there are a lot out there that never had a problem, but the number of them that did have issues was higher than normal and should be taken into consideration if looking to purchase one. I know of a few die hard Ford guys that wouldn't touch one with a 10' pole and would rather keep their old Fords. These engines were a big-time flop in their first years. I don't know what their failure rate was in the latter years, but stay away from the first few years of production for sure as they were nothing but trouble. We have a couple at work that have spent their share in the shop too.

These engines were so bad (how bad were they? lol) that Ford threatened to cancel contracts with International who built the engines for Ford. A lawsuit was filed and everyone went through the motions. Ford contracted International to build a smaller diesel to put into their 1/2 ton trucks, but after the 6.0L fiasco Ford told them to take a hike. Since there was many dollars already invested in the smaller Powerstroke, International sued for reimbursement and other damages.

So unless you are getting one heck of a deal, I'd suggest making sure you really want this truck. There's a reason why they're nick-named "6 Leakers" instead of 6 Liters. smirk.gif

Scott K

Quote:

why not share for those of us who are in the market for a diesel???

Why? Well I worked with them for many years, and dont know how nice it would be to give out all this info online. Dont get me wrong, most people that own them, love their truck. Its the rest of them that just hate them, its a love/hate type of thing!

LABS4ME

I have one with 109,000 flawless miles. grin.gif Never spent 1 minute in the shop for anything engine related... I still wouldn't buy another! blush.gif Find a real good 7.3l and run that till the wheels fall off. I'm disappointed in this engine for many reasons... also I know 2 others who had to have their turbos replaced, one twice! I also know of another that leaked like a sieve at 90,000 miles... and lost a couple injectors prior to that. We have owned Ford's for the company ever since 1993 (with the exception of 3 GMC trucks in the mid-90s) and have been loyal to them and buying their diesel products. The 6.0 is the least favorite we've bought. We've had a total of 14 diesel trucks over those years. We just got our first 6.4l, we'll see how that one pans out. It looks like they shoe-horned that into the engine compartment.

I also know a Ford mechanic who said in essence Ford is the reason these motors were a failure. Powerstroke designed them with all their own components, but Ford made the decision to put on many of their own which were not as compatible with the design as the Powerstroke ones. The engineers at Powerstroke recommended against it, but for dollar reasons that was shrugged off.

If you can get a REAL good deal and you can get an acurrate history of the truck, you'll be O.K., just check into it before you purchase it.

Good Luck!

Ken