• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
marbleye

Lake Miltona or Ida

marbleye

Any walleye reports on these 2 lakes? I'm heading there this weekend...Thanks!

alex1

Marbleye, spent a week out on Miltona last week. Water temps were in the high 70's-low 80's, . Did manage to get a few walleyes trolling shadraps in the 13-17fow range. Nothing as far as a trophy if that's what you're looking for but nice quality eating fish, 15"-17" range. went to Ida last sunday and got nothing but bass, did see a couple of guys slipper bobbering in about 30 fow pull up a few, but there bladders were coughed up when they got them in the boat, tough to release a big fish then. frown.gif

WaveWacker

Did manage some fish on Ida from Fri.-Sun. but for the most part they were small (12-14") Got one nice one (23") that was released. All mid lake structure. Varied from shallower structure to deep. For the most part, caught on Leeches. Did manage some on crawlers but they are hard to fish next to the weeds with the sunfish around. I would imagine that retails would work but I'm not willing to "sell the farm" on bait until we get into the fall a little more.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• delcecchi
      Gotta be careful to keep the holier than thou attitude under control whatever you decide to do. After all not much difference between bass, northern (looking at you harpooners), walleye, even gills.
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      I have eaten quite a few small mouth bass from Vermilion and a few large mouth bass from other lakes. The smaller small mouth are not bad table fare! The larger fish taste like mud to me! All large mouth taste like mud to me!!😛 If you were to suggest to these fishermen that eating the smaller fish will make a much tastier meal, not to mention a much safer meal because of the contaminant level in larger fish, that may make a difference in what they decide to keep.????  But as you said, they can legally keep them of all sizes. The DNR approach of a size limit would be best! Cliff  
    • Harry Goodliffe
      a sign that ASKS people to selective harvest, releasing the bigger fish to keep those better fish genes in the population if you keep fish eat smaller fish...the old bill dance quote "limit your kill not kill your limit.... catch what you can use and release the rest to fight another day"
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      Nice walleye Reid! How big? Cliff
    • Wanderer
      I respect your conservation minded approach but trying to TELL people not to keep those fish will just get you more of the same response you already got.  I also agree <15 inch bass are better keepers.  I keep a few myself each year and rarely keep anything over 16, preferring 12’s for the table. I’ve been a bass tournament angler in the past and have also promoted staunch C&R, much like the modern muskie culture, but have grown wiser with age.  I still target bass quite a bit just because they’re fun! On a 300 acre lake I agree a small group of anglers can and will have an impact with constant return visits to harvest large fish but the only two things you can do about it is, 1) As mentioned, lobby the DNR for protected slots, and 2) When people are happy to show you their catch, congratulate them and mention you like bass too but find the smaller sized fish much better table fare.  And maybe that you also fell releasing the mature fish keeps reproduction up to sustain a quality fishery.  And be nice about it.  Once you turn people off they’ll stop hearing you. That’s about all I have for ya.  Good luck.
    • Reid Saarela
      Bite was OK for us this weekend. Marked tons of fish but they only seemed to bite in small feeding windows due to abundance of mayfly larva down there. When they decided bite, they were inhaling our leeches though.  Rocks next to mud was best for us. Highlight of the weekend was walleye pictured below. 
    • Mike89
      I like the idea!!!👍
    • reddogdth
      Just a heads up to all.  Someone has been cutting off the Catalytic convertors on vehicles at the landings on Island Lake Reservoir.  Trucks are targeted do to the clearance and ease to get under.  They hit several vehicles on Friday morning and were trying to sell the parts at a local scrap yard by 11:30am the same day.  It cost me over $500.00 to replace this weekend.  Police where notified.
    • rodbender27
      Thank you for your opinion. I respectfully disagree with just standing by, as multiple 3lbs+ bass were shown to me in a livewell this morning coming off of a 300acre lake. Again i completely realize this is a legal choice to make, and at times selective harvest is necessary for maintaining a healthy ecosystem. Where I live in Minnesota, bass are plentiful, but fish of that calliber and bigger are not growing on trees and it takes multiple years to get to maturity. As aforementioned, i am serious about the sport aspect of bass fishing and hate to think of the idea of 10+ yr old fish being taken from lakes of such small size especially. I have personally seen the possibilities catch and release offers as myself and a buddy have caught the same 4lb fish with distinct bird/pike bite marks on 3 separate occasions just this spring/summer alone.  Again i do not mean to shame these people for being proud of catching quality fish, just want to find the best way to try to shape their thinking to take a more conservationally responsible approach to fish harvest choices. I appreciate any help i can get
    • delcecchi
      They split FM and HSO.   Turned out to be a bad decision in my opinion.