• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I'll be on Shallow Lake near Warba this weekend. Does anyone have some good tips (locations and set-ups)for walleye and/or crappie. Thanks in advance.

It's been a few years, but I used to fish Shallow a lot.

I fished primarily the northern, shallower part of the lake and just trolled around and around the weedline with lindy rigs and usually leeches for walleyes. This is really just an oval with little structure. For crappies, the same general area, but more the "corners" of this same oval shaped northern part. Again at the weedlines. In the southeast corner of this northern area (nearer the bullrush point, not shore), there used to be some more prominent weeds which was the best place in the lake for crappies. Many fish the point near the dropoff in the middle of the lake, but I almost always did better in the northern shallow part. I always use small jigs for crappies.

It used to have great crappie and bass fishing. Decent walleye and northern. Not the most remote or scenic, but a very productive lake. Hope this helps.

Please, please post a report when you get back! I'll be up there in about a week and a half and could use all the help I can get!

Although I've never been there is August before, my usual routine for crappie is jigging or casting beetle spins or cubby minimite jigs about 10' over 15'-20' of water there. Not that I've slayed them, but usually got some nice crappie in the 12-13" range, unuff for dinner. I've heard some catch an occasional decent pike in shallow spearfishing through the ice, but I've not ever caught a pike there.

Any more advice for us two please?\

\

Clemmy

I reviewed the DNR lake map and the shallow part is EAST, not north. Opposite the public access. So, the "corner"

nearest the bullrushes is the southwest corner of the eastern part. The maps from the DNR web site show these "corners" pretty well. There used to be some coontail humps there which was a good place to start for all fish, especially crappies. The bullrushes can be good for bass, but this time of year, I would focus on the cabbage beds especially near the west shore. You are right about the pike. More seemed to be speared than caught. But, if you catch one they are good sized.

I didn't realize Shallow was such a popular destination.

Where are you staying?

Well, for me I grew up in the cities and eventually moved to Florida. My folks recently (3-4yrs) bought a place on Shallow as a retirement spot. While thjey're active in the local association, they unfortunately don't get out on the lake much. I try to bring their grandkids up 1-3 times per year, and I sneak out on the lake when I can. That's why I've been on the lake, but nowhere near patterned it for ANY season like a local might.

Personally, I enjoy just having the chance at a big fish. Just knowing a lake "could" produce something you'd want a replica of is worth the time on the water.

Of course, soon my kids are going to be a bit older, and my focus will change to active fish of any type for the kids.

Clemmy smirk.gif

DHill,

How'd you do this past weekend? I'm anxious to get up there!

Clemmy

Clemmy,

Fishing was great - better than I could have expected! My son (age 7) and I fished pretty hard the mornings of the 4th, 5th, and 6th. We concentrated on the north side of the lake - from the main point on the north side of the lake to the north east most corner of the lake. My goal was to target walleye - so those were the techniques and gear we used. We used yellow and orange spinners w/ minnows - some with floats and some w/o. The spinners has 3 ft leaders, at the top of the leaders I put two 1/8 oz. split shot. We trolled the weed lines that ran from the 10-15 ft depth. I found that if you got into water lower than 10 ft you would troll into the cabbage and spend more time pulling weeds off than fishing. Results: 5 walleye (15, 15, 14, 17, 19.5), 60-70 bass largest (3-4lbs), 1 crappie and 1 northern (24 in.). My sister-in-law knows someone who lives on the lake and has yet to catch a walleye this year. So either they are fishing them wrong or I got lucky. I'd like to think I was doing something right. My son got 3 of the 5 walleye including the 19.5. It was great to see him reel that fish in. We did'nt have a net for that one. Needless to say after that I went to Glenn's Army and bought one. All of the bass fought great even though I would have liked more walleye. Hope this helps - if you have any questions just let me know.