• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Change in Eating Walleye while on Red Lake Waters and other Restricted Lakes??

MOBY RICHARD*

Anyone know if the contemplated change, Allowing eating of Walleye or other Slot fish while on Red Lake waters, and other so regulated Lakes, is...has...or will be...going/gone into effect???

Per article in Pioneer Press, May 27,2007, by Chris Niskanen, a few weeks ago... that I misplaced. blush.gif

Also had interesting info on other changes, including no liscense for non-overnight ice portables, license year to go to April 30, night bowfishing on certain lakes...etc.

The article stated that the Legislature had approved these things???

I believe this is what you are looking for.

Fishing And Hunting / Longer seasons, fewer licenses and other changes in the law

BY CHRIS NISKANEN

Outdoors Editor

Article Last Updated: 05/25/2007 12:18:20 AM CDT

Minnesota legislators have approved a long list of new laws benefiting hunters and anglers, particularly ice anglers. Here's a breakdown.

Ice Fishing: Longer License Season /

Minnesota's fishing license year no longer ends the last day of February. Lawmakers extended the date to April 30, giving anglers two more months to fish before they have to buy a new license. The rule also applies to permanent fish house licenses. Anglers often complained that year-round panfish season was still open in late winter and early spring, but they had to buy a new license in order to fish.

Portable ice fishing shelters that aren't left overnight on lakes no longer require a license, saving owners the annual $11.50 fee. Portable shelter owners have complained for years about paying for the license since they're not staying overnight on lakes. However, permanent shelters, whether with wheels or skids, still need a fish-house or dark-house license if they stay on the lake overnight.

There is a new three-year fish house license for permanent shelters.

Resident adults or guardians won't need a fishing license if they take a youth (younger than 16) ice fishing during Take a Kid Ice Fishing weekend. A date hasn't been announced. The program duplicates the Take a Kid Fishing weekend, scheduled for June 8-10.

Lighted fish decoys for spearing are now legal.

Other Fishing Laws /

Anglers who catch a fish out of season or outside other legal limits have a new definition for how long they can hold it before putting it back into the water. The new definition of "immediately released" or "immediately returned to water" allows anglers enough time to identify, unhook, measure and photograph a fish. It does not allow an angler to put the fish on a stringer or in a livewell, cooler or bucket.

Nonresident fishing license fees have increased, in part to cover the estimated $768,000 that will be lost by not requiring licenses for portable ice fishing shelters. An annual individual nonresident license costs $39.50, up from $34; three-day, seven-day, family and husband/wife nonresident license fees also increased.A $2 invasive species program surcharge also was added.

An angler in a dark house or fish house can fillet fish or possess fish fillets within size limits if the angler is preparing the fillet or fish for a meal. In the past, anglers could not possess fillets on lakes with special regulations because DNR officers have difficulty determining if the filleted fish were within legal limits.

Commercial netters can take up to 3,000 lake trout from northern regions of Minnesota waters of Lake Superior and sell them. Restaurateurs and commercial netters wanted lake trout available for consumption.

Anyone catching an Asian carp (bighead, silver or grass species) is required to report it to the DNR within seven days.

The DNR must study the diet habits of fish-eating cormorants on Lake of the Woods.

Hunting Laws /

Crossbows can be used to take deer during the regular firearms deer season, but hunters must use a firearms license. Crossbows are still illegal (with exceptions) during the archery season.

Novice hunters with an "apprentice" license won't need a hunter safety certificate as long as they are with a hunter who has one. The idea is to give novice hunters some experience afield with safety-certified hunters.

The DNR is required to prepare a walk-in-hunting access plan and recommend options for implementing the program, which still isn't funded. The report is due to the Legislature by Jan. 15, 2008. Hunters have longed wished for an access program similar to those in South and North Dakota.

The draw weight for bows used to take big game has been reduced from 40 pounds to 30 pounds, which makes bowhunting easier for hunters with disabilities and youth.

Hunters no longer need to possess the actual images of the pheasant and waterfowl stamps. They only need the electronic endorsement. Trout and turkey pictorial stamps were eliminated in previous legislation.

Smokeless powders are now legal for muzzleloaders.

Night-vision equipment is no longer legal for taking wild animals.

A new venison donation program will fund the processing of deer for food shelves.

What Didn't Pass / A proposal to increase the daily pheasant limit from two to three cocks after the first 16 days of the season didn't pass. The pheasant possession limit also remains unchanged.

Chris Niskanen can be reached at 651-228-5524 or [email protected].

Thanks Boots! Anyone know when these go into effect or if they already are ??? confused.gif

Thats awesome, that shelter tag for my portable always burned me up a little. Not that 11.50 was a big deal just irked me...

I just wish that the money spent on fishing stuff went to fishing and lakes instead of bike trails. Thats what burns me up. I think they need to create more permits and licenses for other leisure activities instead of stickin it to us. Sorry to rant, just my 2 cents. Today is my 30th so I can officially be old and grumpy, kinda like that old man Jonny P. grin.gif