• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Speed trap -- Watch out

Unless you have been living under a rock, you know that there is a speed trap on 94 when it goes from 70 to 55 mph near the new Moorhead Menards.

If you don't know -- this is your warning.

Good old Moorhead PD nailed us and many others in the one-mile area where the speed changes. When we were pulled over, my wife was driving and we had just finished a 6-hour t-ball tourney in Barnesville and were on our way to Skeels to get some new arrows.

I thought it was kinda funny when she got pulled over. One of my Twin boys asked if mommy was going to jail and I thought that was pretty funny too -- It was not funny from that point on.

My wife was digging around in her purse and I told her not to because some cops can get a little nervous when people are digging for stuff. Walking up with hand on the pistol. Great.

He came to my side and asked for her driver's ID and then things went south -- way south. Yep, she forget it in the other purse. He kinda read her the riot act and then we handed him the insurance card. He told us that this one expired in three days and we should have the other one. Not sure why he was mad at that, but oh, well.

He ran our plates and was gone for a long time. Long time. Came back to the car and was unhappy to say the least. "Do you have any form of ID?" he said to the wife. No she di not. My wife was being very nice to the officer because we have a bro-in-law that is a cop and a number of friends that are. he also asked me and I did not either -- I was not driving.

Looking back we should have had it in there.

He asked if this was our car and she said yes, we have had it since January.

Well the plates were not in the system so he was a little upset at us. I don't know how that is our fault, however.

He went back to the car for a while after getting her date of birth and mine and came back after another 20 mintes or so with a ticket.I was a little surprised, because of our clean record, but what really surprised me was the amount of the ticket. The cruise was set at 75 and he wrote us for 20 mph over. No breaks on the speed, nothing. The ticket was like $250.

$250.

It would have been $100 less if he would have written us for 19 mph. Nice fella. No breaks for being nice and NEVER any breaks for not having ID, insurance that was about to expire and bad plates.

When he left he said, "Have a better day." Nice. Really nice.

We left and went to Skeel. We were both pretty mad. We found the arrows and the guy told us to go to the bike shop to have them cut. We stood in line at the bike shop for a long time and finally got to the window and the guy said we had to pay for them first. That would have been nice to know.

Went to pay for them and you guessed it -- We had some troubles. The wife tried to pay for the arrows with an unsigned card -- mine. She had not given it to me yet, so the cashier kept it and wanted ID -- We didn't have any. We could have written out a check but no ID either.

Nice.

Finally after name-dropping like 10 Skeels employees the manager let us purchase the arrows. Went back and stood in line some more and finally left the store 20 minutes later.

Those were some expensive arrows, I told my wife.

I was pretty upset that the cop fella would not give us the smallest break. When we came back through there were three more people pulled over on the highway.

Tough lesson to learn, but at least I have six arrows that cost me $350 (arrows plus tips plus ticket.)

I would love to hear what other people think of this.

I know it is their job. I understand that completely. 100 percent. I have talked to some of my law enforcement friends and they agree that he was a little black and white with us, no gray.

All of our friends have given breaks on speed -- not this guy.It is all very upsetting.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dahitman44

• eyehunter

• cliffy

• Kingfisher

This is NOT I repeat NOT a bash on law enforcement story. I do NOT want this thread going crazy. Just want some feedback from other -- especially our Law Enforcement friends on the site.

I think two of you know who you are -- love to hear both sides.

Yes, I know the law is the law, but ...

I don't think he was out of line at all actually. I've seen the MHD PD out in full force the last 2 weeks along that portion of I-94 pulling people over left and right for most likely speeding.

1. It's the end of the month and that usually means they need to fulfill their quotas.

2. 55 means 55 not 75.

3. When you drive you still need your id.

Take it as a lesson learned.

Dahitman44; Thanks for the "headsup" coming into Moorhead. Will be there Thursday. Sorry that you had to get stopped by what we used to say in Army lingo a (RA). While in the service I did a lot of patrolling on and off base as a MP. In my opinion no damage was incurred to anyone, it was a relatively new speed zone, the violator (your wife) was cordial, that should constitute either a warning or a lesser violation.

You may be in for more expense also, I think that if the speeding ticket is over 10 mph, it goes on your driving record and the insurance company may increase your premium.

Thanks again for sharing your story.

NLU --

I agree -- we were speeding. Not paying attention is more accurate.

I know this is another excuse -- but --- We were flowing with traffic. We were not passing anyone. In fact there was somebody in the passing lane just ahead of us.

They have the right to do whatever they decide, but 20 mph over? I still think they could have given us a break.

I hope our insurance does not go up very much.

King -- watch yourself, it is a tricky spot. They sit by the bridge (low spot) and as soon as you come down the hill -- boom they have you. i think the speed changes half-way down the hill or near that spot, anyway.

Hey Hitman, Pretty sure I know who you are, I will have to come introduce myself sometime soon. Starting a part time job in your town, YEP you guessed it.. With the local P.D. , Been riding with your Bro in law a few times lately. I like to give breaks myself when people are polite and you can tell that pulling them over will make them think and be more safe next time. Thats the point is keep them from doing it again in my mind,if there attitude shows they dont care and will be back flying through again then its different, I dont get that ticket money...And I dont get any bonus for more tickets either. Thats just my point of view, but each officer has there own view as well. Dont break any Arrows, they were about $60 a piece huh Now back to fishing stories.. grin.gif

I too have a few friends that POs and highway patrolmen and they tell me that they have NEVER given a full price ticket unless the person they pulled over copped an attitude (no pun intended). Having read a lot of your posts Hitman, I know there was no attitude whatsoever. What the cop that pulled you over may have thought is .... I will ONLY give them the speeding ticket and let the driving without a license slide? It may have been his way of giving you the "deal."

On the other hand you should have waited until ND to speed. It would've only cost you $25. My brother and I got pulled over on 94 (like you not paying attention). Not paying attention to the point that we thought we were in MN when we got pulled over. He and I were both thinking that the ticket was going to be about 100 bucks and were a little down in the dumps. However, when the HP came up to the window with the ticket, we soon realized that we had crossed the Red River and we were in ND. It was the only time in my life I have ever seen/given high fives after getting a ticket grin.gif

I was runnin late one day and was caught doing 70 in a 55 and I pulled over before he even met me. He spun around and pulled me over though I was already pulled over. It was my 21st birthday and my brother's wedding night and he questioned me for about 10 minutes about drinking and this was like noon. Gave me a ticket for 9 over and said if I didn't do anything wrong for the next year it wouldn't be reported to my insurance. We'll I went to get new insurance and they asked me if I had any tickets...she looked nothing there thankfully. Come to find out when the cop was a kid my brother's father-in-law almost tried to kill him by drowning him as a kid. Sometimes you wish people would finish through with things. JK!! For the most part most of the cops I have the priviledge of meeting have been nice but once in a while you get that one that has had a bad day. I found out the hard way about the speed limit signs got pulled over in DL for doing 40 in a 30 as I hit the 45 mph sign. She lectured me about how you can't speed up prior to the sign so I being a smart donkey asked does that mean I don't have to slow down right away to make up for not being able to speed up prior to the sign...she didn't think it was as funny as the sherrif that was at my other window.

Dragon --

Yeah heard you got hired -- congrats. I will have to take a pic of you anyway. Lucky fella wink.gif

It is my wife we are talking about -- yes she was very polite. I know that you guys don't get any money, but I am afraid he might have been upset that she did not have ID, that insurance was getting close and the plates did not work.

That is creepy -- how can our plates not be in the system?

Would it pay to call a supervisor and ask about it? I would guess not -- R we stuck with it?

Any --

Thanks for following my posts and the kind words.

I understand you have X amount of days to produce your ID. That is what I hear. The thing is -- we all make mistakes and forget things. I think he could of been more understanding -- especially with my kids in the back scared half to death.

There is no such thing as quotas for MN cops. It is illegal. I feel for you on the price of the ticket. The costs are getting out of hand. For me giving a ticket for 9 over gets the same point across as one for 20 over. As far a having your ID with you as a driver it is a stated law, and makes the stop go a lot smoother. I know its hard to believe, but some people lie to officers. There is no way to make everyone happy in this line of work.

I agree with the previous person....writing the ticket out for the full 20 miles over isn't necessary. A ticket for 10 or 15 over makes the same point. The guy was being a jerk. You could argue that the accuracy of the radar doesn't justify the full 20 miles over charge, but is the day long hassle worth $100?

There ar still two I am waiting for that post and read this forum.

I am NOT asking anyone to be over-the-top on this post but the MPD guy was a little harsh, in my opinion. I am not saying to look the other way, but when you consider, situation, location and record -- most LE offiecer would have reduced the ticket, in my humble opinion.

I am in NO WAY reducing the job of LE people. They work their tails off for very litttle $$ not to mention put their lives in danger every day. No question about it.

I just don't agree with this guy in this situation.

Personally, from hearing your side of the story and taking everything into consideration, if it was me I would've given you guys a break. Knocked it down to 9 mph over the limit because any ticket under 10 mph over the limit does not effect your insurance in MN. I love it when people are nice because then I can be myself and be nice back. Now if some comes with an attitude and tries to lie about something (I hate liars) the gloves are off. The way I work is someone is dink to me hey if i feel like it I'll be a dink right back but if they're nice then I'm nice and will help them out the best I can, while still doing my job.

From what you wrote I don't agree with how this was handled from teh approach on. I do agree with his approach to the vehicle at first, I get really really nervous when someone is digging in a purse or glove compartment or anything like that when I'm walking up to a vehicle and I would approach the same way he did.

I'm not making excuses for the guy either but I've had them and maybe he was having one of those really really bad days. Normally it doesn't or shouldn't effect our interactions with the public but we're human to and sometimes it just happens. Am I condoning his attitude towards someone being nice and honest no but I am saying there are many many variables that can come into play in this type of situtation.

I drive that stretch everyday I go to work. I never speed as I'm too paranoid of tickets. M-F I drive from Fergus to Moorhead and set the cruise at 69-70. I've had many "looks" and "fingers" when I slow to 55 at that spot. It always seems I'm about the only one doing 55. East of that spot is a construction zone that is 55 with "double fines". Coming home yesterday, I slowed to 55 at that spot and was immediately passed by a whole string of cars. One who couldn't get by me was on my bumper giving me hand signals. So I slowed to 50.

Anyway, as I've aged, I've come to the realization that being in a hurry for anything is just not healthy.

Wolf --

Yeah, I thought he should have given us a break as well. It is nice to hear from others in LE.

My guess is that he had a bad day and did not like the ID problem, insurance close to exp. and the plate problem.

Is there anything I can do to reduce the speed? I suppose I am stuck.

Quote:

There is no such thing as quotas for MN cops. It is illegal.

I have a good friend that is Moorhead PD (not the one who pulled you over, I asked him). They DO have a "quota"... the administration won't call it that, but the union is currently going to court with them now over the issue.

I believe one of the terms or phrases used to get a round the whole "quota" issue maybe "suggested number of contacts." or something to that effect. I don't know 100% for sure any place that has that in MN but I've heard there are places.

As far as getting a reduced speed/fine amount, anytime someone asks me that I just tell them to pay the fine and don't let it happen again I've even told that to my close relatives. You can try getting it reduced but I wouldn't hold my breath short of going to court over the whole issue. Which could also bite in the long run because, and yes I have done this, ESPECAILLY when I have given breaks to people and they decided to fight it, I really hate that, and then I amend the ticket. Say I stop someone going 48 in a 30 they have 1 headlight, a flower necklace hanging from the rearview mirror, a one hitter with residue inside of it and a small amount of marijuana. Depeding on how nice the person is if they're nice to me I'll take the one hitter, the weed and charge them with possession of a small amount of marijuana, give them a warning on the others and send them on their way. Now if this person comes back in tries to fight the small amount ticket I would amend the ticket and charge them with the full speed amount, obstruction of view (for the necklace), driving with unsafe equipment (the headlight), possession of drug paraphanelia (for the one hitter) if they weren't wearing their seat belt I'd tab that on to and yes we can do this. So now a $182 dollar ticket if the judge finds them guilty of everythig now turns into an over $600 ticket.

Reason being 9 times out of 10 when its a court day the officer is usually off and has to get called in for court and personally if I'm getting called in for court on something like that then it's going to be worth my while.

Sounds harsh I know but thats the way it works sometimes. Not always but sometimes.

If I were you I would pay the fine and not let it happen again. Hope that helps a little bit.

I guess the problem is that I feel that this officer treated us too harshly. I just think writing us for 20 over based on all of the things that happened was a little much.

Yeah he taught us a lesson, but 19 over would have done the same.

I just went to get a pizza at the gas station and two people jumped me for a story we ran in the paper. I just don't know why we do our job and catch heck, yet I can't discuss the ticket with anyone besides court. I do not want to waste anyone's time by going to court.

I am thinking about calling MPD -- I just don;t think it would do any good.

Plus Grant retired so I don't have anyonethat would listen to me and not just think I am a complainer -- but maybe that is all I am being right now.

??

BTW -- thanks to W Wolf for being so straight forward on this issue.

Hit

"Knocked it down to 9 mph over the limit because any ticket under 10 mph over the limit does not effect your insurance in MN."

This is a myth. I am an insurance agent and deal with this all the time. Insurance companines don't care if you were going 1 or 20 mph over the limit. If it shows up on your MVR, which it will, you will get sur-charged for speeding. No offense to the police officers on this site but I wish you would quit telling people this incorrect information.

Quote:

I've had many "looks" and "fingers" when I slow to 55 at that spot. It always seems I'm about the only one doing 55.

I agree with you totally as it seems I am in the same boat many days. If the police wanted to meet their "quota" they could do it pretty easily just by sitting there everyday.

Hitman- Sorry you had the run in you did. crazy.gif

I should've been more specific under 10 mph over does not go on your driving record. Thus if it is not on your record it does not affect your insurance. I have checked on people I've written speeds for under 10 mph and there is no offense on their record, unless it just changed here in the recent past like last 6 months, which may be possible. I don't write that many speeds I try going after the bigger fish.

Now I don't know about other states maybe their under 10 does go on your record I do not know.

Well Not to stick up for either side of the story, but that is the entrance of a construction zone also. The other day some jerk off almost killed us trying to squeeeze by at 75mph in the 40 on the median. they are just trying to get people to slow down before the constructionzone. I think they need to do the same in Fargo on I-29. It is out of controll. I am on the road all day all over the area, I am a lead foot, but with consturction I am always at or below the limit. those guys working there could be my friends.

True enough, Paul.

The point is a smaller ticket would have done the same.

A person gets looks and fingers anytime you drive 55 in a 55MPH zone.

Hwy 34 East is a good example, there are so many people in such a big hurry, that they don't want to drive the speed limit, plus endangering others with their speed.

I think that the ticket was harsh, BUT is this the first time?

Like it or not, those Police and Highway Patrol are out to protect us.

I know especially with Wee Fest this weekend, I hope I will see a lot of them.

It all comes down to you broke the law by speeding and by not having an ID.....you wasted the officers time trying to figure out who you were and why your vehicle didn't come up registered.....IF YOU WOULDN'T HAVE SPED YOU WOULDN"T HAVE HAD THE PROBLEMS, TICKET, OR WASTE THE OFFICERS TIME.....You got the penalty the law states....deal with it.

Quite a few years back I was in Bismarck for my sister's wedding. Came up to an intersection the next morning, did a little pause and go, and was promptly pulled over by one of Bismarck's finest. This guy was a bit of a jerk. Felt like he was ticked at the world because he had to work on a Sunday. I was hoping he might cut me some slack since it was 7:00am Sunday morning and there was no one other than him on the street. Nope. I felt like he saw Minnesota plates and knew I wouldn't come back for court. I paid my fine and felt picked on for a while but I did get over it,... until I had to re-live it here. I know I felt he could have given me a break but it was his job and I can't hold that against him.

well sorry to here that hitman ., better you then me!! no just kidding ., i don't speed so i don't have to worry about that . ,i see cops there all the time and have for years., so i always slow down,ya your right those are a bunch of spendy arrows.,thats kinda crazy how they do it that way .,pay first then get cut ., did that to me last year but the guy told me to pay first ., i think that shop should have the cutting machine right there with the bows and arrows,but then it would take away all there sales if they are doing nothing but cut arrows,.again to bad for the ticket , bet you wont do that again?? have a great day ., oh give me a call,. i herd the walleye action is heating up.,