• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bench Seats In My Boat...converting over..

I have a 12' aluminum with three bench seats. I know that there are the clamp on seats available for use in these boats. But I am wanting something more permanent and a little higher up than the clamp on seats. Not real high, but about 6-8 inches off the bench. I have seen other boats with them, but don't know if those other boats had bench seats in them like mine.

Any ideas? I have seen the posts and seats at Fleet Farm, but don't know how it would mount or install in a boat with benches.

What would a guy need to put in a pedestal seat mounted to my bench seat, that will be permanent?

Hey Alan,

Just wondering, but why do you want them permanent? Reason I ask is that I would recommend that you place a "pin base" (which is permanently screwed in, and flat to the surface) on the bench. Then get also the "pin" seat base, which drops right into the hole in the bench base. It will have alittle spring for a bit of cushion, and sit about 4" up from the bench.

If you wanted, you could put a pin pedestal between the two, and they make some very short ones as well. But you don't have to use the pedestal. The nice thing is that you could also put a couple bases on each bench and that would allow you to balance the load a bit better, or at least move the seat to the h ole that works the best. Or just take as many seats as people are going, to reduce weight, which is important in small boats.

Anyway, just a suggestion or option to think about.

By permanant, I meant not like the clamp on style, which seems to come off more often than I would like. I have one, and I can't stand it.

But I like your idea, could you supply a link to some on line that you are talking about so I can have a idea of what to look for? And is this an expensive thing to do?

Careful how high you go it could cause instability in such a small boat..

Right on the stability, which is why the pin bases withOUT the pedestal would be perfect.

I don't think I am sposed to post links, but if you do a search in some of the main retailers sites for "Swivl-Eze Pin Pedestal Set" you will find them. $39.99 gets you the whole set, but those pedestals would be too high for your boat. You could sell them to someone for like $10 each and get a few bucks back. These work great, are solid, look good, and simply will not break nor will the seats pop out even in the roughest waves or bounciest roads.

You can also get the bases seperately, but it seems the price is better if you get the set. Good luck!

Quote:

but those pedestals would be too high for your boat. You could sell them to someone for like $10 each and get a few bucks back

So, then what would I use? Could I cut them down? And do I just fasten them to the bench and be done with it? I did a search and found them. Looks like just what I need, but if the pedestals are to big, and I can't use them, what should I use?

Oh, no, sorry, I did not explain it properly. That is a "3 piece system". The pedestals come out or go in in seconds. The base has a hole that accepts a pin (3/4"). The seat had a base that has a 3/4" pin attached, that fits right into the base. It can swivel just fine, as it is just a pin in a hole. When you lift the seat up, you can insert the longer pedestal pin into the base, and the seat on top of that.

So essentially you just don't use the long pin-pedestal, and it will have your seat about 3-4" inches above the top of the bench. Because there is that little spring that acts like a mini shock absorber smile.gif If you saw one of these in person you will see right away it is perfect for what you want. And you can get extra bases, so you could for example have two bases on the same bench (they wieght like .5 pound) so you could move the seat to fit what you need, or have two kids sitting side by side while driving, then move one seat up front for fishing, etc.

Where are you located? -edit: doh, I see Hastings. I am not sure if Gander has this style, but I know some of the other stores do, and I think Fleet Farm does for you to take a look.

So, to install them in benches, you would need to drill a hole about 1.5" diameter where the pin will drop below - the base support insert is about 2" deep or so. Then drop the base pin support into the hole, and then drill 6 holes in the screw areas and screw the plate to the bench seat. If you can get hands up there, botls would be better. Then attach the seat base to the seats with the 4 screws/bolts and you are done. Then just drop the pins in and you are set.

I know we bought a shortie pin-pedestal that is about 5" long.

Ahhh, now it makes sense. Thanks for explaining.. I will take a look at Fleet Farm...

I would have to cut a hole in the bench right, to accept the piece the pin goes in right? Just want to make sure..

You have been a great help, thank you..

What type bench seats do you have now? Alum. or wood? I had wood in my Crestliner, and put in the pin base into the wood bench. With a pin mount on the seat it worked great.

On days when it was calm I had a extention post to be higher up. Only for trolling motor speeds, But watch how stable the boat is.

I have aluminum...and I think they are filled with Styrofoam...but I could be wrong...

I have bench seats in mine. Its a 14 foot narrow and what I did was I bought seats and the swival pedistal and some plywood and the non skid stuff you can put in your silver where drawer. I put the non skid stuff on the bottom of the plywood. It works really well doesn't seem to slide off and not tipsy

Quote:

By permanant, I meant not like the clamp on style, which seems to come off more often than I would like. I have one, and I can't stand it.

The clamp seats with wingnuts are a pain. The spring loaded ones, that fit securely onto the bench seat's edge/lip work nicely.

We converted our 14' Lund last year. It had the typical 3 bench seats. We had the center seat removed and put in a solid floor with a pedestal seat. The front was turned into a cast deck with another pedestal seat there as well.

This isn't our boat, but it will give you a before and after idea of what it looks like now.

before_after2.jpg

The company that did the work for us was called Custom Rigging.

Quote:

That's sweet! Can I ask how much something like that runs?

It cost us about $2000 total. Yeah we could've just bought a newer boat that was already like that from the factory, but this boat used to be my grandpa's and it holds lots of sentimental value to us. My dad basically paid for everything and plans on giving it to me as soon as I get a vehicle to pull it.

Here's some before and after pics of it.

BEFORE

100_2741.jpg

100_2742.jpg

AFTER

100_2757.jpg

100_2760.jpg

100_2761.jpg

Now all we need is a solid running motor, the one we have likes to work when it feels like it. grin.gif

That looks awesome. I am strongly considering it. But I would just have my middle bench removed, and have a floor and a pedestal seat put in place of the bench, and a swivel seat on the rear bench. Next spring, or the wife will kill me...baby on the way wink.gif