• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

CASTILLO TO THE METS

HossFisher

LUIS CASTILLO WAS TRADED TO THE METS FOR CLASS AA CATCHER AND CLASS A OUTFIELDER! Why the heck do the twins need a catcher???

ouch, who's going to play second for us next year....is punto going to move to second and then we will acquire a better bat at third?

regardless, i hope they have a plan for next year because if liriano comes back 100%, we're going to be legit contenders.

They know mauer will be at third someday, so maybe they are planning for the future. Or maybe someday will be next year for mauer to go to third?

personally i see mauer as an outfielder before a third baseman, and i think he's got a long time catching before that happens

Hard to believe that was the best offer they could get for a guy like Castillo. But then what do any of us really know about the two prospects. Terry Ryan and his scouts are good at evaluating young talent. Hopefully these prospects have more upside than what their stats tell us.

Aaron

Yeah, I've got no problem trading Castillo. Punto or Casilla can play and do just fine. Castillo give you a good average and bunting ability, but that is about it.

But it would have been nice to get a bit more for him...

I thought Terry Ryan wanted a power hitter in the line up and neither of those guys have any power.

I understand that Castillo is not the future, but it sure appears they gave him away.

Castillo was a decent ballplayer. .300 average and a solid glove. He doesn't steal bases the way he used to. I believe he is on the downside. He is a free agent in the offseason and maybe the twins will bring him back? Probably not though. Get used to Alexi Casilla at 2B.

Quote:

I thought Terry Ryan wanted a power hitter in the line up and neither of those guys have any power.

Neither does Castillo. I don't see this resulting in any net change in the Twins lineup...either positive or negative.

I have said it before, and I'll say it again- why doesn't Gardy have any faith in Rodriguez? He has a decent glove and can hit for power. I will say that Ryan probably did it because Castillos leaving when a free agent was imminent, but they practically gave him away, the Rays mighta gave us Wigginton for him- but I don't know.

The reason the D-rays are wanting to trade Wigginton is to pick up some nice young prospects. Not to pick up an older player that has a contract up at the end of the year. They would gain nothing. Teams that want a player like castillo are teams going to the playoffs, like the mets.

The twins are not going to make the playoffs this year, that means, if your not going to resigh castillo at the end of the year, you should trade him for whatever you can get. They did a good job to get two guys.

I kinda of like the trade. yes, we lose a good leadoff hitter, but Castillo has seen better days and is prone to being nicked up. Punto and Casilla are the new 2B, and it gives us a soild catcher as REd Dog is getting old and Heintz is probably the same as Butera, but without the upside. The OF (martin) is raw, but has a talent and Ryan is good at this kind of stuff. Plus it lets the Twins get rid of Castillo $$ and allows more $$ for us to keep Hunter and Santana as allready metioned.

The Twins were in about the same postion last year. Liriano on the shelf, but this year , garza and Baker have another year under their belts and by the way Baker pitched mon night, I wouldn't count them out with Clev falling and the Tigers pitching woes. We are only 6 games out of the W.C in late July. the cards last year when everybodt counted them out after they played dismal in the end- won it all. We are too close to fold., thou I wouldn't be surprised today to hear the Twins make another move, for this season or the future. tough call--- but I think Ryan is leaning towards the future. Rincon gotta go- aka JC Romero.

Quote:

I understand that Castillo is not the future, but it sure appears they gave him away.

I second That

He wouldn't be with the team next year anyway so at least we got "something" for him.