• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Square Lake Trout

I started fishing this lake earlier in the year with good success. Lately fewer boats seem to be targeting trout. Anyone out there fish this lake later in the season that could give me some tips?

We used to fish there with crawlers and slip bobbers. As the hot weather comes we would set them a few feet deeper every week. Go with lots of anchor rope. I had to tie both of mine together to be where we wanted to be.

Late fall, you can find them on the surface which makes things easier. Great time to grab the flyrod - Wooly Buggers and leech patterns have worked in the past.

On a side note, this little lake gets pounded with rec boaters during the day. Unfortunately, a lot of them seem to be new to the boating thing. Last weekend, I witnessed:

1) Dad slingshotting his kids on a tube into one of the many buoys on the lake.

2) Mother/Daughter team that had just bought a new Sea Ray and couldn't get it backed into the lake causing major delays. I offered to assist but they refused.

3) Many boaters/Jet ski's ignoring or not being aware of the posted speed limits before noon.

4) One speed boat almost running over a water skier from another boat. I thought these two boats knew each other but based on the discussion I heard and the language used, that wasn't the case.

Be carefule out there and practice defensive boating!

There isn't anything worse than listening to jet skies while trying to fish. Just two weeks ago I was on eagle lake in maple grove i believe fishing for eyes at sunset. The jet skies were still at it. Only a 300 acre lake, but c'mon, go to the side where no one is trying to fish. And, to top it off, a wake boarder was closer to my boat than the one pulling him. And I'm in a shallow 14 ft with a six horse, so I have to be in somewhat calm water. "maybe that's it, the boat was small and they didn't see me." DOUBT IT

Have the phone number for county water sheriff. May then these people could get the message. If the sheriff would show up?

It's been year's since I've fished on Square, but as I said in my previous post, we used to fish with slip bobbers while anchored. On one occasion we had a water skier spray us, and on another, we had a slolom skier come between us and our bobbers and cut our lines. We were only out about 25'. At that time I only had a 4hp motor so I couldn't exactly chase them down. This was on a week day. Haven't fished there since.

Could anyone tell me what kind of trout are in Square and where it is? Are there any lake trout lakes in the metro area? I am thinking not and that most people are going to laugh at my question, but I am new to the cities, so please bear with me. Thanks for any help.

GoggleEye

I know that there's rainbows and I think brown trout in Square lake. Also, I know that Lake Elmo has lake trout in it. I haven't been on Lake Elmo in probably a decade, but I know that the MNDNR has been stocking lake trout in Elmo for a while. Also, if you're looking for a fishing partner for square lake, let me know.

[email protected]

Thanks for the help kingfisher. If I decide to check out square lake some night I will send you an email. I will try to give you at least a days notice if I can. Do you have a boat? I have a 14 ft. with a 15 hp and a canoe, so we could use either one. I don't know if this lake has any motor restrictions or not, but I would be willing to take either one. My email is [email protected] if you plan on going some night, let me know.

GoggleEye

I don't believe it does, as I was able to go with my father in his 17' Lund w/a 60 horse, so there really isn't a motor restriction. My boat is currently at my cabin, so we might have to use yours for the time being. Definitely drop me an e-mail. I would love to get out on square again. It also has some nice pike and bass in it.

I don't think there are brown trout in this lake. I have only caught rainbows. Lake is approx 10 miles north of Stillwater. Access is through the Washington County park. You need a sticker. One day stickers are $5. Yearly are $25.

I have caught them mostly on canned corn, 5 - 20 feet off the bottom in 45 - 60 fow. Seen several people do well with downriggers and cowbells ahead of a crawler harness.

Others use slip bobbers with worms or crappie minnows.

No motor restrictions, but 5 mph speed limit early and late in the day and always around the shoreline. Be sure to read restrictions at the landing.

Let me know how you do. Seems to me fishing is getting tougher later in the year. Have been told this is a dynamite lake on early ice...

Thanks for the info DonBo. I will let you know how I do if I make it up to Square. From what you say, it looks as if I may have to get up there for early ice for sure. Good luck to you.

GoggleEye

I would not fish trout there during the early season. Trout season does not open until the second week in January. If it is NOT a designated trout lake you can fish it but you can not keep trout until opener. Don't want to see anyone get in trouble.

I'm not so sure about lake trout in elmo...I think the DNR stocks it with adult rainbows and browns. They used to stock atlantic salmon in square, have they stopped doing that? I wouldn't mind hitting that lake up in the fall.

Not discrediting or anything, but I do a lot of work with the DNR, and am somewhat close with the stocking program, and know that they DO stock Lake trout into Elmo.

Atlantic Salmon in square???? A coworker was trying to convince me that they stock elmo with those as well? never heard this or had it confirmed, can this be true? I thought Superior was the only one with salmon....

Can anyone on here confirm if Square is in fact closed to trout fishing until the second season in January??? I did fish a small lake in wisconsin the other day in the early morning hours on a whim because I couldn't sleep and I'd rather be fishing anyways. Caught three nice rainbows and lost one huge one at boatside. The fish I lost appeared to be well over the 23 or 24 inch mark. I almost cried when I lost it. Caught all on slip bobber rigs in 40-50 feet of water 35 feet down. Used plain gold aberdeen hooks with canned sweet corn as bait. All fish caught between 6:30 a.m. and 7:45 and they were still biting when I had to leave for work at 7:45. Does anyone use the corn as bait method for fishing trout anywhere else around here??? It's weird, but it works. Also caught bass and bluegills on the corn too.

GoggleEye

Googleeye,

It is not closed now. You can fish lake trout through Sept 30th and stream trout through Oct 31st in lakes. Then the season is closed until Jan 12th. It is open Jan12th-March16th. Then closed again until opener in May. Hope this helps.

Hey long caster, I use corn on Square, it works. I know the WS lake you're talking about, but have never fished it. What is the access like?

I don't know if they're stocking them anymore, but Square used to have Browns. I have a certificate around here somewhere from years back from winning the Brown Trout category in the Mpls paper when they used to have the weekly contest. I believe it was 2 lb 14 oz.

Hey Donbo, I think you were talking to me and not longcaster about the WI lake where you can catch rainbows on the corn, but anyways...the access is terrible there and dangerous seeing how you have to back your boat into the landing right in the middle of the road where there is a sharp corner in the road and cars come flying around the corner all the time. I don't use the launch though because the lake is so small and all you need is a canoe or small jon boat and I put in at the county park. There are no gas engines allowed anyways, so it doesn't even make sense to bring a larger boat and use the dangerous and steep gravel landing. I am the manager of the county park too so I just head out after work and take off from the shores of the park. I went out again last night and got seven rainbows (3 is the limit if you keep any). Released all. Nicer sized fish too. Biggest was 18 inches. Caught some on corn and some on crawlers. 35 feet down again on slip bobber rigs.

Huntin4walleyes- thanks for the info. on regs for square lake. Are there any good sized trout in Square these days? Any chance for some 22 inch plus fish??

GoggleEye

Thanks for that info! I'll keep my boat at home. Biggest trout I caught in Square this year was 18". I have heard of much bigger fish though.

It seems to me you may want to keep doin what you been doin!

I checked out that ramp in Wisc., you were right. Even if there weren't a hundred people sitting on it, I would never get my boat in there.

Headed to Square instead, skunked frown.gif I did see one boat catch a couple fish, one was nice. They were using corn down 30' in 50+ fow.

anyone know how the pike fishing is doing? Has anyone been catching any pike on square lately, and if so, on what? any help would be appreciated.

Ya, I have a small 14 ft. shallow V with a 15 hp motor and I would never even try to put my boat in at that launch. It is way too steep and the gravel doesn't help. The spot is a horrible spot for a launch. Probably will head out after work tomorrow and see if the rainbows are still cooperating. Good luck all.

I see several people fishing from shore. Any idea if they are catching anything?

Anyone think stocking square with splake would be a good idea? They're more willing biters and typically get bigger than rainbows. Square seems to be clean and cold enough for them.

I think that's an idea that could be brought up. I'll talk to a few people within the DNR and see what they think.