• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

July 28 & 29

Walli1

Well that trip went really good, had a hard time fishing my favorite areas because of the snags, just to hard for my gentlemen to get the hang of it, so I had to go to areas where there was less snags and more sand, still I was able the put my gentlemen on some fish. Most of the fish were coming out of 18' on lindy riggs and crawlers sand bottom, we ended up keeping 4 decent walleyes 15 1/2 - 18 1/4 had a good time, sure went though the bait! Tomorrow morning I'll have my son with so we'll fish different areas, I'd of liked to fish today! cool.gif

Wow Walli you must have this river thing really figured out. Since July came around the bite has really dropped off for me. I have been trying everything with little or nothing. I was out from 5pm to 10pm last night. I tried Lindys w/worms, spinners and bouncers w/worms and fatheads, trolling raps, jig n minnow. No eyes or sauger. I launch out of the bluffs and have very little luck in the am. Do you really need to get out as early as you to get into some action this time of year? I am guessing it is more position and presentation rather than time of day. Same scenario for me last year, May and June make me feel like Al lindner cool.gif July and August make me feel like myself again confused.gif. Oh Well I still love it on the Croix and will probably be out again tomorrow. Good luck All. I am in a Green and tan Crestliner with a 50HP Evinrude tiller. Stop by and say hi if you see me.

Most of the action has taken place after sunrise for the most part, its more of being in the right area and watching the graph, if you are not on fish, find them, don't troll blind. I graphed a couple areas this morning before we even dropped a line, if I don't see fish in the area I move on till I do and then fish them more less vertical, see you on the water! cool.gif

Dieguy, we're singin the same tune buddy! The last 3 weeks down there have been progressivly worse for me. But it can't get much worse, cause last weekend I was stiffed by the eyes and saugs, 2 days in a row. I'll be down there tomorrow am. full of hope and nightcrawlers. Walli1, from what you say maybe I need to slow down a bit when I locate fish. I'll be trying this tomorrow.

I'll be on the water early as usual, the sunrise this morning was so beautiful but I didn't have my camera with, I cherish every sunrise and there is no a better place to welcome the sun then on the croix, can't put a price on therapy like that, I'll be picking up my son in prescott around 6:30am he wants to go bottom bouncing I guess we'll have to see! SEE YOU ON THE WATER!!!!

Sounds like a good morning there Walli....See you out there, we might do some wing dam fishing down on the sippi though. Plan on being on the water before 6:00.

What a great morning to be on the river, My son and I boated 4 walleyes and 3 saugers but only one walleye made the cut, a fat 17incher,the highlight of the morning was a sturgeon,quite a fight or 4lb line, check it out!

PICT0162-1.jpg sorry its blurred, the photo was rush I wanted to get em back in the water, end up breaking two spinner riggs off on fish bottom bouncing, havn't had that happen since last year let alone two in one morning, my son had a good time and the memories we shared is what its really all about! cool.gif

I was in my usual spots this am, and tried a few other areas that I usually pass over. The change seemed to help. I had some pretty hot smallie action and managed to find a few 14-16" saugs too. I slowed my pace down a bit and also made multiple passes on small areas that looked good. All fish where caught with a crawler, on lindys, with and w/o spinners. The saugs seemed to prefer a copper spinner w/ red beads. It sure did get busy early today. I was sea-sick by 10:30am.

Walli1, how big is that sturgeon? Man those things are weird looking.

I also noticed that on Hwy 95 @ Hwy61 there was a sign saying it was going to be closed starting Aug 1st. Does anyone know how long it will be closed? Or what the best detour would be. I come from St.Paul down 61 normally. Thanks

Walli, How did the fish fry go? Your dad said you had 50lbs of walleye fillets. That takes alot of time to fry. My biggest fry was 8lbs, 2yr ago, it took 1 hour to deep fry without a big turkey frier. This year I only did a 3plus fry for my friends.

Good job out there!

As far as the detour goes, just continue south until you hit Hwy 10 to Prescott, take that left and go about a half a mile and take another left (not sure of that street), follow that as it curves to the left then right and it will lead you to St. Croix trail. A left there will lead you right to the Bluffs.

Thanks Stratos, I hope they don't take too long.

Walli, how do you get 50lbs. of walleye and still be within the poss. limits? I'm not trying to start something here, I'm just wonderin how you put that off.

Seems like my dad is telling stories about me to my cousin again! He likes to brag how good he thinks I fish!