• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Long Lake in New Brighton

I decided to take a buddy of mine out to Long Lake And it was interesting. There were four guys in a truck loading their jetski, with what must have been a girlfriend parked right by their truck. They took at least 5-10 minutes playing around putting the jetski on the trailer. They left some beer cans on the dock and the guy who was riding it urinated on the other side of the jetski. I could tell becuase he made sure it was a high steady stream. I just sat waiting patiently and they just kept looking at us as if to say what are you going to do? They then proceed to put on dry clothes on the other side of the truck. I tell ya what, I think I should get a trophy for not blowing up at these guys. I should have called the cops, becasue the guy who was driving the jetski was clearly intoxicated. I like to drink myself, but not while riding on something that can be so dangerous even after a few beers.

What ever happened to having consideration for other people at boat landings?

That has been one ramp that seems to draw the low life of boaters. I had my 2 son fishing with me on Long lake one morning. Saw some others(a guy and 3 gals) in a paddle boat, come up to where we were fishing. We said "Hi" the gals all got up stripped off their clothes and jumped into the water. They swam around for awhile then climbed back onto the boat and paddle away. The boys and I just looked at each other. My youngest said "What a bunch of weird do's". We have not been back.

I'm suprised there wasnt a sherrif sitting at the launch.

Thats whats nice about the weekends there, there is always a cop on shore with his boat in the water ready for (Contact Us Please) like that.

Quote:

We have not been back.

That and you probably didn't catch anything. crazy.gif

Quote:

the gals all got up stripped off their clothes and jumped into the water.

Will they be back??? smile.gif

Actually I wish there was a no-wake requirement on all metro lakes within the 696/494 loop and the DNR enforced these lakes more to cut down on the riffraff. These lakes are just too small for all of the high-speed use. If this was the case, there wouldn't have been the unfortunate incident on Owasso.

Quote:

These lakes are just too small for all of the high-speed use

Thats's for sure. Seems like everytime I've been on long lake in the past month there are a half dozen people pulling tubers plus the two super expensive wakeboard boats zigzagging around. At least a couple times the other night I was sure I was going to witness a fiery collision.

Don't know if anyone else has run into these wakeboard guys before out there - I think they both live on the lake. The red boat always seems to be courteous, keeps a good distance from fisherman and will take a break if there are alot of other boats whipping around. The black boat on the other hand seems to be out to get me, no matter where I move to fish these guys follow and they definitly don't stay 150 feet from anchored boats or no wake buoys. I think the name of the boat is "Mommy Bought It" or something like that - go figure.

Just to bad the water sheriff, can't have deputies to write these guys a few tickets.

Quote:

they definitly don't stay 150 feet from anchored boats or no wake buoys.

Come up to Champlin/Anoka Miss some weekend, weekday for that matter. The skiers and wakeboard jerks are running rampant. The only thing I've been able to get the point across with some of them has been a Mepps Giant Killer, while fishing for Smallies of course, I can throw one 125 to 150 feet no problem, some times theres a boat coming, they do see it in the air and tend to go a little further out in the river, some don't even come back. wink.gif

There were some out there tonight in the rain, with the lightening doing their surf thing. (Contact Us Please)! mad.gif

Been on the lake with the same kids! They live up Pike creek saw the boat on top of the double driveway.

Quote:

The red boat always seems to be courteous, keeps a good distance from fisherman and will take a break if there are alot of other boats whipping around.

It seems every time I'm out there they are there, but they do seem to stay out of your way or at least run a straight line and not all over the place.

Anyone see the fish jumping? I drove by the launch the other day and saw fish jumping about every 2 seconds! Not by the pier, but closer to Long Lake Road. I bet I saw 50 fish jump in just a few minutes. There was a guy floating around in an inflatable boat checking it out.

took the canoe out sunday morning....i saw a bunch of fish as well and will add suckers to the list...that lake is full of rough fish and the water is REALLY LOW....

There has been problems for years at this landing with people getting the cars and trucks broken into, so if your there, make sure to lock up and take your good stuff with you. Can't have a thing without somebody else messing it up for you..... frown.gif

I am really suprised to hear that about cars being broken into. Everytime I go there there is always people coming and going with a sheriff sitting at the launch. I have never had a problem down there.,

Hey Ebiz-

Have you had any luck on Long this year?? I have been there a few times fishing from shore. I usually sit on the left hand side when your coming down the hill and you 1st see the lake. Most times I catch Northerns there but nothing this year.

I used to love sitting on a warm fall evening (just before sun down) on the south shore. I would cast sucker's and large bobbers. I never caught a monster, but used to have good action. The last time I did this was 6-7 years ago! smile.gif

Good times!

Are there enough bass/pike in the lake to make a september evening get away worth while?

Mnwild - I was doing pretty well out there during June, July and August so far have slowed up quite a bit. Also doesn't help that I changed jobs and can't get out in the morning before work anymore. Hopefully the bite will pick up a bit coming into fall.

JB - There are a decent amount of northerns out there, bass on the other end are a lot more scarce. There are some nice ones, but if you are going to go "bass fishing" I think there are much better options in the near north metro.

I'm the guy with the black blazer & 14' green starcraft. If you see me out there say hi!

Quote:

Are there enough bass/pike in the lake to make a september evening get away worth while?

I don't think so... I've been there 4 times since last September and targeted almost everything. I've only caught 2 crappies and 1 walleye, all 7". You could probably do pretty well on carp, they are everywhere. Maybe others have had better luck? confused.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Was out tonight (Wed). No luck trolling. Alge bloom on the north end...looked like anti-freeze! Lots of carp jumping too.

Any of you out there? I saw a few people fishing out there...any luck?