• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Dahitman44

scent lock suit?

Dahitman44

My suit is like three or four years old. Can I continue to "activate the carbon" in it with the dryer or is it losing it's power?

Has anyone seen this?

Help?

Hit

harvey lee

This is the answer I found after a little research.

The lifespan of the product really depends on how you use it. We roughly say that it should last you 3-5 years; about what you would expect from other hunting camo. If you are a knee walking, belly crawling extreme hunter out there 5 months a year, the life span may be shorter. If you are in the field for 20-30 days a year and follow our instructions, 3-5 years can be expected. Some hunters are still wearing our original suit

chucker34

I've heard a good tactic is to really just douse the whole suit with doe in heat urine and then put it in the dryer for about an hour on high. Or the microwave. That will work too. grin.gif

harvey lee

Only if you are looking to be sleeping in the garage or dog house. grin.gif At least that is what would happen to me. frown.gif

Dahitman44

Yeah -- I would be sleeeping with Copper in his kennel.

Anyone else notice how long their suits last?

Any way to tell if it still works?

harvey lee

I do believe that if you shower without scented soap, leave all other scents of and use unscented deoderant, along with unscented hair soap and play the wind in your favor, you should be good to go. I have heard of people using baking soda to sprinkle on thier clothes but have not tried it.

Years ago many great archers only had the wind to use in thier favor and they seemed to shoot plenty of trophies. I personally own all the scent lok clothes and sprays and sometimes believe that if I play the wind right, get high enough in my tree stand that I will not get busted very often.

I think at times I do get caught up in all the new gadgets out there to use for deer hunting and forget that I always did harvest a deer in green clothes with the wind in my favor.

chucker34

Are you telling me I had to sleep on the couch last year cause I put half a bottle of deer pee in the fridge for a week before my wife noticed it? I honestly did that. Inside a ziplock bag of course. I have some common sense. grin.gif

I have to agree with Harvey. I just try to play the wind and keep scent to a minimum. My routine includes washing my camo with baking soda and hanging out to dry, storing in big ziplock storage bags, and showering up with scent killer shampoo/soap before I head out (if I can). I also use that nonscented deodorant. I wash my camo every few weeks but air it out after a hunt by hanging in a tree in the yard before putting back in the bag. Sounds like a lot of work but its all really subconscious. Just a routine.

I've been thinking about trying that homemade scent killer that I think Dietz posted but wondering if the hydrogen peroxide will fade my new fancy pants Predator camo. Any expereince with camo fading with this stuff Dietz or anyone?

96trigger

I activate my carbon suit about 2-3 times a year. I usually don't hunt when its really hot out so I don't smell too bad. I will try and get as many years out of it as possible. This will be year three for me and I can see after 2-3 more years with it, I'll probably need to get another one. I try not to wear it for anything but deer hunting but its also water resistant so sometimes it makes it out in the spring for turkey hunting, but I don't activate it. I always wash it in a scent free soap. I also take a shower before every hunt and use scent free body wash and deodorant. I very seldom get busted by their nose.

BTW, my doe pee is still the refrigerator from last year in the plastic bottles. I don't think my wife knows what they are.

delmuts

the peroxide you use in that mix, is the over the counter stuff, so it won't fade or damage anything!

Dahitman44

Excellent info -- thanks.