• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pit Blind for Deer?

chucker34

One of my associates mentioned this the other day as an effective method for hunting - bow or gun. The premise being you dig a nice foxhole in the right terrain, perhaps into the side of a hill. Camo all around it well. Sit down and hunt. I did a search on the web and found many people are doing this. In fact, some outfitters are sinking blinds into pits so the windows are level with the ground. their theory that the deer are less spooked by such a low profile and because they can look right over them.

I like to try new hunting tactics and think my small doghouse blind might work very well like this. Dig the depression and sink that sucker into the side of a ridge or small hill and only a couple of feet would be sticking up. Pile some brush over it and just leave enough room to climb in and have a window exposed and they'd likely never know you were there. May have to try this.

Anyone ever use a pit blind for deer?

yes, and it is very effective. it's a lot better than any kind of blind above ground. mine is on a fenceline in the side of a hill. ag field in front of me and 10 year old pine trees behind me.