• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What can you tell me about British Labradors?

svttom01

I am looking at either getting a new lab puppy or younger dog, preferably under two or three years old. I have been reading articles on British Labs and they seem to fit what I am looking for in another hunting partner - size, disposition, hunting style (flushers with body/tail movements similar to a spaniel). Does anyone here have any experience with British Labradors as owners or someone that has hunted over them? Granted, bloodlines and lineage play a big factor in the dog itself, but I would like to know more first hand knowledge. Thanks for any opinions (positive or not) and suggestions!

There are a few British Lab owners here, I have had mine for just over 3 years. Mine has lived up to my expectations as a family pet and hunting companion. I trained mine using "British training" methods, the disposition of the dogs lends itself to a slightly different approach.

Mine has proved to be adept at pheasant, grouse, and excels with waterfowl. Mine just lives for water. One of the gentlest dogs around young kids I have witnessed. The best thing I can say is that I will buy another when the time comes.

Good luck in your search for a dog that fits your expectations.

Dan

We've been breeding and training British Labradors for a number of years here at Royalty British Kennels. We started with American Labs, but after reading about British Labs and visiting numerous kennels throughout the US, we decided that British was the way to go.

British Labs are typically smaller in stature than American Labs - a big British male is about 65 pounds, we've got females as small as 40 pounds. They are excellent hunters, much more focused on hunting for you, not for themselves. They are eager to please and much easier to train than other dogs. And they are absolutely phenomenal house dogs, not destructive, very calm and relaxed.

We tell everyone that is considering the purchase of a dog to visit all the kennels that are potential candidates and see what the facility is like, and what the dogs are like. We've got a state-of-the-art facility that is unlike anything you'll see, and we have about 40 dogs - all the way from 8 week old pups to 6 year old adult dogs, as well as parents and grandparents of a lot of our dogs. Please feel free to contact us if you'd like more information.

I also have a British Lab. 1 year old now. Great pup. Although I do not hunt at all she is a great family dog. Very easily trained, calm in the house, great around kids. She is great in the boat and she also is only 43 lbs. I dont think she is going to grown anymore. A perfect house dog. I also used the same book that dbl stated above and found it very easy to train her. Just stay with it and make sure that they know that you are the boss and they have to listen to you.

DBL you still have to bring over you dog to play with mine some time.

I have a Brit lab also and have to say every dog I own from here on out will be a Brit. Mine is a year and 4 months old and my daughter just turned 11 months old. I can tell you from that experience that these dogs are great around kids. If I knew how I would show you some photos for proof. As far as hunting they are top notch. I hunted over one of his older brothers while upland hunting and knew I had to have one. The drive on these dogs is like nothing I have ever seen. I know its in the breeding but I have heard and seen from other brit dog/owners that this is what these dogs are all about. I used him at 6 months old in s.d. and around here many times pheasant hunting and he has that drive. I have been training my dog the same as I would any lab and it's going great. Started force fetch at around 7 months and followed that with collar conditioning. These dogs are very eager to learn and pick up things very fast. Mine is 59 lbs as of his last vet visit last week. I try to work him hard and keep him thin all year. Cant wait for the hunting seasons. I have put in a lot of time this summer working on our waterfowl hunting and cant wait to see him perform since I only got him out once last fall.

I have owned three labs with this being my first Brit and to me it is night and day.

Good luck wink.gif

LovenLifeGuy

• 2 weeks later...

UKLABS,

John is that you? I'm Bill, Scott Thu's neighbor. I was up with Scott and our boy's last year. Had a great hunt and you facility is top notch. Nice to see your a member of the site. Put the picture of our hunt up here if you can to show everyone what you have to offer.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st
    • leech~~
      As I get older it's really not just about sending bullets down range.  Some of it's just the workmanship of the gun and the wow factor. The other two guns I have really wanted which I'll never have now because of their price, is a 8mm Jap Nambu and 9mm German Luger.   Just thought they always looked cool!  
    • jim curlee
      I had a guy hit me with a lightly used 1969 BAR, he wanted $1650 with an older Leupold scope. More than I think they are worth, I made an offer, he declined end of story.   You know if you look at the old brochures, a grade II BAR sold for $250 in the late 60s, $1650 would be a good return on your investment.    Why would anybody want a 50 year old gun, they are heavy, have wood stocks, and blued metal.  I guess mainly to keep their gun safes glued to the floor. lol   You can probably buy a stainless rifle that you never have to clean, with a synthetic stock you never have to refinish, is as light as a feather, and for half as much money, perfect.   I'm too old for a youth gun, although I've shrunk enough that it would probably fit. lol   No Ruger 10/44s.   Jim      

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.