• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Scott M

Game and Fish Fund Oversight Committee Recommendations

Scott M

• Lottery ads are deceptive. "The Minnesota public is wrongly led to believe that the DNR [Department of Natural Resources], or the environment, is getting more than 50 percent of the net proceeds from the lottery, when in fact the General Fund gets the majority of the net proceeds," Brad Cobb, chairman of the group, wrote in the committee's annual report released last week.

Because of that false impression, "we strongly believe the DNR is being hindered in its ability to raise funds for conservation efforts that are needed today," he wrote.

• Fishing license fee increases are needed to help deal with the imbalance in spending between the fisheries and wildlife divisions. Currently, fisheries spends millions of dollars generated by hunting license fees. "It's not an expenditure problem, it's a revenue problem," Cobb said. "We don't want to see programs or personnel cut."

• Given the huge economic impact of fishing, the DNR should seek more funds from the state's general fund.

• General taxpayers also should be asked to help pay the costs the DNR incurs in dealing with chronic wasting disease and bovine tuberculosis in the wild deer herd.

Just wondering what people thought about these findings. Would you support raises in fishing licenses, etc.?

Eric Wettschreck

I support more lottery money going to the DNR, and license fee increases AS LONG AS it's money spent wisely.

Wanderer

Ditto. I hate to spend more on something I can't catch a fish with but I can't (won't) catch em without it.

I hate the misreprestation. mad.gif

Gadgetman

Wome how we need to help the folks in St.Paul get the spine they need to get the lottery proceeds that are due the fish and game people. It is a travesty that the $ keeps getting funneled off to places that it was never intended to go. what will it take mad.gif

mr marbles

We should have a general fund for just hunting and fishing + enviorment /clean water!and doesnt get funneled to somewhere else!

papabear

I thought increased spending was bad. The DNR should just make due with what they have right. I mean if the schools and all have to do it why not the DNR. Or maybe we need to lower our expectations more. Im kidding of course but Im sure some are scared of increasing their fees, taxes, or licenses in the name of Big Government.

The government needs to prioritize better. The environment is important to almost everyone so why are we not putting our money where our mouth is. unless too many people think DNR is only a hunting and fishing agency.

Northlander

Maybe ALL the money the from tickets the DNR writes needs to go directly back to the DNR. As it is now they only get a small portion.

harvey lee

My understanding of the lottery proceeds was that 3% was to go to the DNR for all programs.

MSRiverdog

I can't understand why folks can't figure it out, all you have to say is "I support giving the money" and you are pizzing away any rights you have to make them responsable about where they are pizzing the money away to. They are gonna do what they want with it, they take the part that says "I support giving the money" and use it in their best interest, not yours. crazy.gifcrazy.giftongue.gif

Hey, its Minnesota, if there's a way to, Tax it, Fee it, Licence it, Permit it, et al, they will find a way. mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

Keep saying "I Support" and it will NEVER END! tongue.gif

Bobb-o

as of the most recent numbers the DNR gets 6.5 cents on every dollar earned from the Lottery.