• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What kind of Dog?

Huntin&Fishin

I was thinking of getting a dog for duck and Goose hunting. What are some good, smart dogs to pick up heavy geese in the field, and swim after ducks? I was thinking about a Chocolate, or black lab, or a cheseapeke. What do you think?

I am personally a fan of black labs. They are one of your best all around breeds for hunting. Black Chocolate or Yellow they all are good the key is picking out the right pup. My buddy used to have a chesy it was thick headed and a bit tempormental also they smell bad with the oily coat. Personally I cant think of a better dog if you want to target multiple species such as grouse pheasent ducks and geese. Labs love the water and it doesnt take much to convince them to go swimming when its freezing cold out. You definately want to take your time on geese. A wounded goose can scare a young dog. I did go pheasent hunting with a german shorthair pointer last year. WOW what a dog. It ran like a mule deer and wouldnt stop it covered an entire field with 9 hunters in it. We shot our limit of birds and my lab was only able to retrive 1.

There is a post right above this post that is a few pages long..asking the same question!!!

Title:: GETTING A DOG! What kind

ooh, thanks didn't even see that tongue.gif,

So what should I look in a pup?

I had posted about my dog in that post as well. You will want to watch how the dog behaves with the pack. Stay away from the most aggressive and the most passive something in the middle will be the most likely be the easiest to train. But that may not be true just as aggressive and passive people have different skills. Most importantly If you get a chance take each pup out away from the rest of pack. Play with them see how each responds to you. If one is more willing to come keep that in mind if it hides and is afraid of you lean away from that one. If its willing to fetch at age of 6-8 weeks that is a very good sign of trainability. Look at my posting about how i got my dog in the post mentioned above. My dog has been excellent and i have set myself a standard in puppy selection. Really there is no such thing as a bad dog (besides for genetic defeceincies and temperment), Its usally bad training techniques. Get books and videos and do some research on training techniques and dog selection.

Don't be afraid to spend a little extra time with the actual puppies and get as much first hand knowledge and research as possible. I am going through the same thing as you and have decided to go with a lab, but not sure which style and background I am looking for. Good luck with the search!

Oh and if its offered in your area a dog training class with a group of dogs is a great expeirience. Its more about training the owner then the dog but you can learn a lot about developing your own consistant training habits. You dont need to use the same words in traing as the instructer but having a consistent and proper training technique can really help. If you have a wife kids or others who will be around the dog regurlarily have them train the same way and attend the class. It also gives you a chance to train you dog in a social situation which will definately help if he hunts with any other dogs. In fact there were several dogs that were older then 2 years old and one that was 9, all these dogs and owners benefited from the class I attended. And they say you cant teach old dogs new tricks.

After you have done your research and decided it is time to buy a pup or started dog, go to Game Fair, which will be Aug. 10-12 and Aug 17-19 in Ramsey/Anoka. Many of the exhibitors will have puppies and started dogs for sale. There is also a tent where many different dog clubs are set up and will be able to answer specific questions about the different breeds of dogs. Lots of good dogs to look at and choose from there.

You read my mind. grin.gif I was planning on going their and thats why I started this post.

My opinion goes like this grin.gif...If you are going to hunt ducks/geese...get a well bred lab. If you are going to hunt upland birds...Get a well bred setter. Cant go wrong that way.

Quote:

My opinion goes like this
grin.gif
...If you are going to hunt ducks/geese...get a well bred lab. If you are going to hunt upland birds...Get a well bred setter. Cant go wrong that way.

What if your doing both? blush.gifwink.gifgrin.gif

Both, you ask:

Lab or Golden Retriever

Of course, I prefer a BLACK lab and no other. grin.gif

Quote:

Both, you ask:

Lab or Golden Retriever

Of course, I prefer a BLACK lab and no other.

Well....I had my own idea of a lab bred for a certain trait shocked.gifgrin.gif ....but, I agree with the dogs mentioned. There are a few more that could be added!

BTW....yellow is the only way to roll!!! wink.gif

JDM....the kennel/house worked out great. I have 35 Chukar in it now.....the dog doesn't mind them either! grin.gif

311 - Glad it worked out and they are getting some use. Your dog will be a chukar expert!