• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

270 WSM loads one verses the other

Christopher Quast

I'm going to colorado this fall and I don't want to use my elcheapo Federal Fusions I normally use for deer up north... I'm looking for fellow hunters that have a model 10 savage or just a savage bolt action in general that have tried other loads in these rifles and would have some feedback for me as far as groupings at the range and also performance on mule deer and elk at longer ranges out west...

I'm also wondering which brand shot the best through your gun and what bullet type, bullet weight etc...etc...

THANKS FOR ANY HELP IN ADVANCE

Quote:

I'm going to colorado this fall and I don't want to use my elcheapo Federal Fusions I normally use for deer up north... I'm looking for fellow hunters that have a model 10 savage or just a savage bolt action in general that have tried other loads in these rifles and would have some feedback for me as far as groupings at the range and also performance on mule deer and elk at longer ranges out west...

I'm also wondering which brand shot the best through your gun and what bullet type, bullet weight etc...etc...

THANKS FOR ANY HELP IN ADVANCE

Finding someone with a 270WSM Savage who hunts out west may be difficult. I can help you with 2. I've killed an elk with a 270WSM so I may be able to help with the performance issue. Having shot many, many elk I'd strongly suggest a premium bonded bullet. My personal favorite is the trophy bonded bear claw, which is available in 270WSM from Federal. The one elk I shot with this caliber was with a 140g failsafe; 200 yards with a recovered bullet (here: recovered fail safe ). The other load you might want to consider is the new E3 from Winchester. On paper, it looks fantastic on elk. You probably can't go wrong with the partition either but the newer styles have better weight retention (in my opinion). If you're looking for a compromise for both mulies and elk, I'd stick with the 140 grain bullets. As for accuracy and real world performance, I'd guess they don't differ much from load to load or gun to gun. Long range practice is probably a more important piece to the puzzle. Elk are tough and shots can often be long.

Anyway, just my .02. Good luck this fall. I miss living near elk!

Thanks alot this is very helpful to start with, actually I've been really leaning towards the 140gr nosler accubond from Federal because I have read nothing but good things about them as far as performance goes and I was also thing about the Winchester XP3's from what I've read these sound pretty (Contact Us Please) good too what are the E3's all about I dont believe I have heard about these yet or was this a typeO???

Hey I really liked the recoved bullet did you say this was a bear claw I didn't quite understand you???

Tell me more about where the elk was hit upon shot and where you recovered the bullet and other stuff like what did the bullet hit, how big was the entry hole and did he leave a good blood trail??? How do you make a highlighted link like you did for your bullet don't know alot about how computers work??? Thanks Chris smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Barnes Triple Shock - Federal makes a combination for them. Bonded, strong and accurate. Great weight retention.

If you have a chance talk to someone at Cabela's and they will show you a video.

Quote:

Thanks alot this is very helpful to start with, actually I've been really leaning towards the 140gr nosler accubond from Federal because I have read nothing but good things about them as far as performance goes and I was also thing about the Winchester XP3's from what I've read these sound pretty (Contact Us Please) good too what are the E3's all about I dont believe I have heard about these yet or was this a typeO???

Hey I really liked the recoved bullet did you say this was a bear claw I didn't quite understand you???

Tell me more about where the elk was hit upon shot and where you recovered the bullet and other stuff like what did the bullet hit, how big was the entry hole and did he leave a good blood trail??? How do you make a highlighted link like you did for your bullet don't know alot about how computers work??? Thanks Chris
smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

The bullet was a 140g Winchester Fail Safe. The elk was an adult cow at 200 yards, shot through the heart. She actually just jumped in the air and ran a couple of tight circles and fell over dead. The bullet was in the off-side shoulder just under the skin. The entry hole was the diameter of the bullet. I probably have 6 or so expanded bullets from bear claws but they were in 25-06 and I don't have any pictures. As for posting pics, check the site I used it's pretty self-explanatory. Also, there should be a FAQ on this site explaining how to add links, etc.

Whatever bullet you choose, you won't go wrong if it's bonded. The bullets today are incredible. Like I said, long range practice will be equally as important. If you've never hunted at high elevation, just getting your breath and steading for the shot will outweigh any differences you might see on the bench.

Good luck.