• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What to do in Duluth for 2 days?

On our way to our cabin in Ely, w w w porkchopisland (Contact Us Please) com, we will be staying over in Duluth for two nights. Our kids are 3 and 5 so we are limited. Any suggestions on what they (we) may want to do while in this wonderful city?

I guess we are staying at some water park???Social director made the reservations.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

I have a great idea. cool.gif

Stay in Duluth for a week, turn around, go home!!!!

This will keep you off MY lake!!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Sounds like you will be staying at the Edgewater East I believe. The kids should enjoy the waterpark. If you get a chance, head down to Canal park and check out the area down there. Lots of shops to peek into and you can watch huge boats come into port. There is a Maritime museum that is very interesting to tour. Over by the convention center there is the Great Lakes Aquarium which has a cool fresh water display. So have fun, but with kids at that age, I bet you will be spending most of your time watching them play at the waterpark. BC

I'd watch it Great Outdoors, Chicago is slowing taking over your town wink.gif

Quote:

I'd watch it Great Outdoors, Chicago is slowing taking over your town
wink.gif

Touche` smile.gif

Quote:

I'd watch it Great Outdoors, Chicago is slowing taking over your town
wink.gif

I don't think so.

Your lake? Last I reviewed the books I was paying some significant taxes....

Should I also leave my Chicago $$$ home or in Duluth? cool.gif

If you are thinking of Duluth, you can certainly come find our restaurants on the North Shore smile.gif

The Great Lakes Aquarium is a good bet too! Check with the hotel when you check-in, they will usually have packages for families and will lessen the cost for ya!

Quote:

Jay Cook State Park and Amnicon Falls Park Are nice.

I'm sorry, not Jay Cook State Park, I meant Pattison State Park confused.gif

A few great things to do are:

1. Canal Park

2. Pickwick Restaurant in Fitgers

3. Sample the Microbrews from area merchants

4. State Parks on the North Shore (Temperance, Tettegouche, Cascade, etc)

5. Kendall's Smoked Fish near Knife River (best smoked salmon around)

6. Brighton Beach for a picnic also has swings for kids

7. Harbor Cruise on Vista King/Queen

Have fun! cool.gifcool.gif

There is a really cool Rose garden at Leif Eriksen park a few blocks south of the Edgewater. You might also take a train ride or tour the railroad museum. There is also the zoo. You could take the family to Enger tower and get a good view from up there.

You didn't mention what days you would be in Duluth, but the Head of The Lakes Fair is in Superior starting July 24th.

For several years we were taking #1 and #2 sons to Duluth for hockey tournaments. #3 son said he never got to do anything except watch hockey and swim a little in the hotel pool. We took #3 to Duluth for a few days and did all the tourist things and had a great time.

1. Harbor boat tour

2. Imax theater

3. William Irvine tour (This is a retired greatlakes ore

freighter)

4. Train Depot museum (many old train engines, train cars

etc.the kids can climb on.

5. Tour of the Condon Mansion (little kids won't be

very intersted)

6. There is a 2 hr. or so sightseeing train ride you can

take. It goes North towards Two Harbors from Duluth

Train Depot.

7. Great Lake Aquarium

8. Skyline Drive. (Drive above Duluth on top of hill

overlooking Lake Superior).

9. Duluth Zoo (I'm sure you've seen better)

10.Sometimes, there are free concerts in the harbor park

near the lift bridge.

11.Watch a freighter go in/out of the harbor.

Don't forget to catch a lot of fish in "What's-his-names" private lake!

Welcome to Duluth and have fun while you're here. Things to do with the 3 to 5 year olds while in Duluth. Get some popcorn and go down to the Lake Walk ( it's right out your hotel's back door) and feed some sea gulls, wade in the lake. Push the kids down to Fitgers 1/2 mile down the Lake Walk and have lunch or dinner on the deck at Baja Billy's or Bennetts. Stop and the Malt Shop next door. Go to Playfront Park. It is right in front of Bayfront Park next to the Convention Center. Take a walk around Canal Park and have some ice cream at Cold Stone. Caribou Coffee is near by and serve a pretty good latte. Stop by the Duluth Pack Store and get your Christmas presents. That ought to keep the little ones busy and isn't too bad for ma and pa.

I would avoid the Aquarium as the little kids will be bored.

Quote:

You didn't mention what days you would be in Duluth, but the Head of The Lakes Fair is in Superior starting July 24th.

Ha!!! Blue Oyster Cult, corn dogs, and 80's heavy metal apparel!!! tongue.gif

Quote:

Your lake? Last I reviewed the books I was paying some significant taxes....

Should I also leave my Chicago $$$ home or in Duluth?
cool.gif

Hmmm, last time I talked to Willy, he told me he pays the taxes. Says all you do is mess up the place. smile.gif

Okay, I'll let you on MY lake, just don't take any of MY walleyes!! mad.gif

Better check with me before you come up. I've taken the liberty of renting you place out (again) and don't want you to be crowded if all 20 members of the Blueberry Arts Festival Committee haven't left before you arrive. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Quote:

Get some popcorn and go down to the Lake Walk ( it's right out your hotel's back door) and feed some sea gulls,

I do believe that is still illegal in Duluth, feeding them rats with wings, But all the other ideas are great! I would second the train ride and don't forget the zoo. That is if you can even get them out of the water park..

PLEASE DONT FEED THE SEAGUL'S! Theres enough for them to eat without tourists feeding them popcorn, french fries etc. Not to mention all the white patches we get eating the paint off our vehicles from these things. DONT FEED THE SEAGULS!!!

Feeding the seagulls IS ILLEGAL in Canal Park and will get you kicked out of most restaurants there. Please, please, please don't do that......if you want to feed the seagulls, go to your nearest dump!!!!

It is not unlawful to feed seagulls anywhere in Duluth. The City Code only covers pigeons or deer. It might not be the most prudent thing to do, but heck guys theses are little kids. See city code below.

Sec. 6-78. Feeding of pigeons or deer prohibited.

(a) Feeding of pigeons or deer. Except for operation of the Duluth zoo and its programs, feedinga wild deer on publicly-owned or occupied, or publicly-controlled, land is prohibited. Feeding ofa wild deer or allowing one or more of them to be fed on one’s privately-owned or occupied property is prohibited within the city. No person shall feed a nondomesticated pigeon, nor place feed in a place or manner that a reasonable person would expect to result in feeding a nondomesticated pigeon, in any area of the city that is not in a district zoned suburban (or its successor designation), as set out in Chapter 50, Article VII, or its successor, of Duluth City Code, except in a designated feeding area ofa city park. This Section does not apply to domesticated pigeons such as those kept for racing, entertainment performances or agricultural purposes;

(B) Enforcement. Any employee or agent of the city who is authorized to cite another for violation of Duluth City Code and any peace officer is authorized to enforce this ordinance;

© Penalty. The minimum fine for a violation of Section 6-78, or its successor, shall be $50. (Reserved by Ord. No. 9420, 8-9-1999, § 1; amended by Ord. No. 9723, 5-9-2005, § 1; Ord. No. 9769, 2-27-2006, § 1.)

Secs. 6-79 to 6-80. blush.gif

Quote:

It might not be the most prudent thing to do, but heck guys theses are little kids.

I thought the same thing till I saw a kid have to go in for many stitches after a seagull severed his finger.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

These guys gave you some very good places to see and go to. Have a nice trip.

About the gulls, it can turn into a scene from the "Birds" very quickly.

Chicago Boy. Do not feed the seagulls and risk great bodily harm. I am sorry for suggesting such a hazardous activity. Go to Hermantown and feed the deer instead. laugh.gif