• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Passionate Twin fans

blue_healer_guy

I'm a regular on this site and sense alot of passion for our twins. I've ruffled some feathers with some of you along the way. It's great to see the mentality of "the little engine that could" with most of you. Here lies the problem.

Until our Carl sells this club, we will continue to have this discussion every year. Will we sign Santana, Hunter, Nathan, Castillo, Mauer, and on and on. We have a great farm system, scouts, manager etc. For the last 4 years all this teams needed and needs is 2 ball players. Can't get them cuz we are branded as this small market team with a millionaire owner. That's hogwash! If he had the passion that we have here on this site for baseball, this would be the best organization in baseball!

I get frustrated with the Punto's, Kubel's, Ford's and all of the rest of our minor leaguers because we are not that far away from being a dynasty. Except for Carl. 2 players cannot make or break you if you have a passion and desire to put a championship club on the feild when your as rich as he is.

Carl won't sell the team. He'll probably die in a few years (I don't mean to sound insensitive, but c'mon, look at the guy) and leave the team to his kids. What they will do with the team is anyone's guess. I think they'll keep the ship on the same course, and maybe increase the salary.

I think a big problem is that the organization is already rightly considered one of the best in the league. Because of this, they see no reason to change. We've made the playoffs 4 of the last 5 years doing this, so why change?

The has-been player experiments have been annoying for me. Batista, Castro, Ponson, and Ortiz the $3.1 million long reliever. I understand why they try these players out, but if they really think we're one or two players short of a championship, they need to find some real talent.

I really believe in the way the organization works, but I think we do need to try and acquire a few players. But you are right, with Carl calling the shots, it won't happen.

It seems like the owner is O.K. with just making the playoffs and not taking the extra step. It seems like they are scared to make the extra move to get that big bat or big arm. Make these moves and win a world series.

Yeah, making the playoffs is nice but it sure would be nice to add some big bats so that we aren't continually the "happy to be here" team.

Here's my crazy conspiracy theory: maybe they're afraid of winning the World Series.

It seems like whenever a team wins the WS, the next year all their key players want more money, and management is too afraid to let them go.

But if the Twins just keep making the playoffs, attendance will still be high and the team won't have to pay their players quite as much. The fans will always be hopeful that "This is our year" and keep going to games.

But its more likely that Carl is just too cheap.

THIS IS OUR YEAR! So is the next one and the next one and the one after that etc...

It seems to me the Twins are running out of time "this year". I just hope they don't give up any more 11-run innings like today. Too bad.

Oh well, at least it is still fun to root against Windy's WSox. I may not be a passionate Twins fan, but I'm definitely a passionate WSox hater (I'm still jealous of a few yrs ago you know).

Schweadys got the pic going now...... Best skit ever on SNL, 10Xs better than the cowbell skit

I have been done watching the twins since the all-star break. Until they can make a trade for a bat that will actually help I will not watch them the rest of the year. I feel sorry for all the good players on the team just looking for that one extra bat. The pitchers have got to be getting pretty sick of it.

Quote:

I have been done watching the twins since the all-star break. Until they can make a trade for a bat that will actually help I will not watch them the rest of the year. I feel sorry for all the good players on the team just looking for that one extra bat. The pitchers have got to be getting pretty sick of it.

I think it comes down to alot more than ONE bat. This team is at least 2 or more players away from being true contenders IMO.

Going into this season, the Twins basically did nothing and were hoping that career AAAA players would again turn in career years and also that they would get quality pitching from a couple also rans called Ortiz and Ponson.

Even from the start, this bunch was setup to have a season like this. They are what they are, a .500 type team. Yes, we do have a nucleus of good players that are top-line talent, but 5 players do not make a team.

In a division as tough as the Central is this year, you just can't have a lineup filled with Puntos and Bartletts and Kubels and Cirillos and Tyners and Redmonds and expect to compete.

IMO, the last two years, Terry Ryan has done very little to help this team. Yes, he is a great GM and all that, but really what happened last year was lucky. What he ran out there to start the season both last year and this, was a team that was destined to have a season exactly like we are having this year. Only last year a couple of young pups and AAAA guys played well above their heads. Betting on that to happen again this year should not have been the plan going into the season.

Wait....where is it?.....ahhhhh there it is! Come here Fork! Time to stick ya in. cool.gif

Still a fan, a realistic one. grin.gif

Ok here is the locker room rah rah speech. It takes a TEAM to win championships. The Twins are not just a few bats away from wining it. In order to win it all everyone has to be on the top of their game, Usually this means career seasons for several payers at the same time. The Twins have always won with good pitching, smart base running better then average Defense and enough runs to win. They have done this over the years with an attitude of doing the little things right and that comes from all the coaches and managers in the minor league system right to the big club. True fans enjoy the game of baseball for the sake of the game. Saying you give up on a team till they get a few bats, that type of fan will never be satisfied with his team. It's like saying I'll buy a lotto ticket when it gets to be a hundred million dollars, like ten million is not enough. How the Twins are nothing better then a .500 team. take a look around there are a lot of teams that are not even .500 I watch and take the time to listen to twins games for that game that day. They may win they may lose, but I get some enjoyment out of that game. I don't think I would want to follow a team that did nothing thing but win, there would be no suspense, just another expected win every outing. Look at the Yanks huge payroll and they are expected, no maybe demanded by their fans to win every game. The true fans are the ones who sits in the stands win or lose, Who have there score pads and are into the game for that game. Win or lose they walk away with a memory or a stat, because baseball is a game of stats. When you win it all it is great, but you have to earn it to make it mean anything. AM I a true fan, no. Casual at best. I can name players but I don't know off the top of my head what Hunter can do with two out in the 8th two on with a 2 ball two strike count against a right hander with sneaky cutter. Some fans do. But I will still enjoy the at bat. If you are walking away from the Twins you will still be missing a lot of good at bats and a lot of good games. I don't think they will go far this season but it would be a nice surprise. At least I will be around to get surprised... I'll get off my crate now..

Upcoming series against Cleveland should be interesting. On one hand, you'd expect to get swept, but on the other hand, they're due for some run scoring. Pitching match-ups look to be in our favor too. I predict the Twins take 2 of 3 from the tribe.