• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Nathan's gotta go

Kyle Sandberg

From my prespective he has not been pitching good all year. Every time he comes in someone gets in scoring position or he gives up a couple runs. Move Neshek to the closer position and trade Nathan for a outfeilder that can close the gap when Torii leaves.

It's time for him to go the NL, he's not fooling AL hitters any more. His trade value is pretty good now and his salary around $6 mil is affordable.

I agree with both of you on this, time for him to go. Get rid of his salary and sign some players to long term deals. He almost turning into a Rincon where you see him coming into the game and your wondering if he's going to get anybody out.

Funny, I was saying this months ago. Move Neshek to closer and get rid of Nathan and I took a beating for it.

I've been thinking the same thing for some time now. Joe Nathan hasn't inspired confidence at all this year. I would also look at trading Louis Castillo. He's a darn fine player and great for the Twins but he's also in his final years. His legs are finally showing the effects of a long carrer and as he slow's down I think it will greatly effect his effectiveness. Right now he has good trade value and I would consider having him in a trade deal. We need a good DH and good outfield (lot's of trade potential there).

Dont forget we are also in great need of a third basemen. He has a great glove, but at this point we need hitters!

While I think that trading Nathan makes sense, I disagree with some of the reasoning. His ERA is barely above 2. So he is not giving up that many runs. I think there is a lot of value in trading Nathan, and maybe freeing up money for Johan and Hunter. I don't think we should trade him just for losing one game after pitching 2 innings. Not to pick on people, but there seems to be a lot bandwagon fans that as soon as someone has bad game they want them gone. It is a long season, and not everyone has a perfect game every night. This is probably not the twins year. I will still watch the games, and still be frustrated at times, but that is why they call it a game.

If you want to rip someone rip the rest of the team for lousy hitting the last three games. PATHETIC.

I see no reseaon to trade Nathan arguably one of the best closers in the game.

I wish he would stumble a bit so we could resign him for a bit less.

It's not his fault we have not had the lead late in games recently and he's a little rusty!

I hate the term "trade value." Everyone has trade value to a point, it just depends on what a team wants to give for someone. Its not like we can sneak the GM of a team Castillo before his knees quit working. The fact that his legs are already ailing are factored into his 'trade value.' We could trade him now for jack squat or realize he is a great player and keep him around for as long as possible. Its the same with Nathan - he has been ineffective at times this year and other teams know that. He's a heck of a lot better than a lot of teams have in that role though. Neshek is probably the next closer, but for now, he's the best seventh/eighth inning man in the league. The twins have had little use for a true closer this year. To me, their trade value pales in comparison to their on the field value. There is no trade Terry Ryan could make before the deadline that would turn this team around... this year. It is a matter of consistency - the guys we have need to start performing, and they will. We will pick it up a little the second half, probably get the wild card, and go out first round.

If you think about it, the table is being set for next year - Garza, Baker, and Slowey will have each had a good amount of experience and the two best of them will be in the rotation with one being a solid AAA backup, Liriano will be back, rounded out with Santana and Silva. We will still have one of the premier bullpens in the league. Our main guys Mauer and Morneau will continue to be strong and others will pick up slack. Any trade that might be made will have next year and hitting in mind. Honestly though, when is the last time the Twins made a BIG move outside the organization??? Don't get your hopes up.

Quote:

From my prespective he has not been pitching good all year. Every time he comes in someone gets in scoring position or he gives up a couple runs. Move Neshek to the closer position and trade Nathan for a outfeilder that can close the gap when Torii leaves.

Duuuuude, I think you need to actually watch some games & then go look at Nathan's stats. Then, sit down & think about what the bullpen would be like sans Nathan.

2.09 ERA & 1.12 WHIP - yet "every" time he's in someone's in scoring position or he coughs up a couple of runs?

.239 opponent batting average, which seems high only in relation to his spoiling us the past couple of years. 19/21 in save attempts. And if he's gone it moves everyone in the bullpen into a new slot - what if Guerrier gets hurt? Or Rincon shoots up again? Or Reyes loses his grip on the strike zone? Suddenly one of the better bullpens in the league turns into a liability.

I think you need a new "perspective"!

Nathan is still one of the premier closers of the game. But that said, you more than likely will get your wish. I think Nathan's contract is up after next season and I doubt they will resign him as he'll command a big contract and with all the others they need to resign he will more than likely move on and Neshak will move into the closer role

Quote:

Rincon needs to go also

It's one thing to want to trade someone because they still have trade value buts its just plain stupid to think Nathan should be traded because he isn't doing his job.

Nathan has an era a hair above 2.00 and has saved 19 out of 21 opportunities. Yeah, Lets bench him!

Kdawg and sledneck, What are you smoking??? Its got to be some good stuff. Hook me up!

Rincon, Crain and Reyes. Not a thing wrong with Nathan. Fellas- closing a games completely different than a relief experience- Neshek could very well fold under the pressure and get rocked when he comes in to close. He might be a stud, who knows. Nathan is probably in the top 3 closers right now, I'd take him over Rivera anyday. JJ Putz and Jonathan Papelbon are very solid, Nathans up there with them, if not better.

I'd take K Rod in Anaheim over any of them, he is the next Mariano Rivera. Neshek can't fold under the pressure, he listens to heavy metal grin.gif Anyone who jams that hard can take a little 9th inning jam!

Rincon is a mystery this year. Trade him before his numbers are so awful we won't get squat for him. There are others who can and have done better than Juan-man in that role-his role in years past being the eighth inning set-up, and his current role which I am not sure what it really is? Eat up an inning or two when we are down by 4 or more? Neshek deservedly has taken over his years past assignment..

I have no confidence in Nathan.

Don't call me a peace smoker or joker, I don't care for him. I think a player like Neshek has better potential. It always seems when I watch him pitch, someone get on base.

Think what you want but that's what I think.

Rincon gotta go. But who will take him?

KD- I don't know- but he is mentally messed up or something. Everytime I see him warming up I get a pain in my gut. Kinda like "RD" in the early '80s!..

You guys are honking nuts. Nathan is around 16th in saves, this is only because the Twins haven't put enough save opportunities on the table. His walks are a little high for the standards he set but other than that he's one of the more solid closers in either league. There are only maybe four or five other closers that are having a better year. I'm not a big fan of him pitching in a non-save situation, but I know he needs to get live work in. These appearances seem to be the ones he doesn't pitch well in. For crying out loud, he's 18 out of 20 when the game is on the line. I'm glad Terry Ryan is sunning the team and not some of the guys posting giberish in here.

There is nothing wrong with Nathan, maybe lack of use if anything. He does seem to be a little softer when the game isnt on line, but when it counts, he is amoung the best. That saying, with the chances of signing him and the others that need to get signed, I say trade him, because we have a good replacement for him. Otherwise we wont be able to sign him, and we wont get nothing for him.

I cringe when Nathan comes in for a non-save situation. But when the game is on the line, there is no one else on the team I'd rather have go out there.

Neshek is the closer of the future, but right now, its Nathan all the way.

• 2 weeks later...

Sure wish we would've gotten rid of him. Looks horrible lately! 12 saves in a row will do that.

I have to agree that Nathan has not been as lights out as he had been the previous the past couple of years, but I don't think I want see him traded and Neshek placed in the closer role. I think Neshek is very valuable in the role that the Twins have used him over the last year. You can count on him coming in late in a game and holding a lead for one inning plus. I think if Neshek is moved to the closer role and Nathan we would be VERY THIN in the pen. The only other middle man I have any faith in is Guerrier who deserves a lot of credit thus far.

There's no point in getting rid of a closer of Nathan's caliber when you're talking about a team who'll be lucky to score one or two runs in a game. We need that in the bullpen to help cover our offenses behind.