• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I am traveling to Lake Andrusia this weekend from VA. I fish for Large Moth Bass and Muskies in Virginia, and would like to know what I can expect when I arrive to Andrusia. What tackle I may want to pick up when I get there to target Walleyes and any other species. I am taking my girlfriend and would like to see her catch fish, no matter what specie. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cass and Andrusia are connected. I fish Cass, only been in Andrusia a few times. For bass, use floating raps and frog baits... muskies are muskies, bucktails, bulldawgs, awakers etc. Panfish, you can't go wrong with a hook, worm and bobber (you can get all the rock bass and perch your heart desires). Walleyes lindy rig and leech or shallow shad rap for the evening.

Good Luck, I hope you and your girfriend get into some fish. Ask in the local bait shop (froggy's) or the resort if you're staying at one. Hiring a guide for a half day will probably put you on some fish and give you a starting point.

Good Luck!

Ken

Thank you Ken for the help, I appreciate any I can get. Would you suggest that we cruise to Cass lake rather than Andrusia? We are staying at the Finn N Feather resort, but we have a boat, and it does not seem as it would be difficult to get to Cass.

Do you know if there are any size to the Largemouth Bass, or should I expect chickens? Also, I am a very beginer at Walleye fishing. For me, what would you suggest be the best technique to get a few in the boat??

There are some darn nice Bass in Cass... very under fished. Try around the potatoe islands on Cass. Also some in the cabbage around Dog's Head on Cass. If the resort has a canoe you can borrow, pull it over to Star Island and drag it in by portage to Windigo Lake. Lots of bass and pike in there... most are small, but there are a few hawgs pulled out every year. I saw a guy 4 years ago come back with 3 over 5 pounds... worse part was he ate them! Plus fishing in Windigo will give you the right to say you fished a 'lake within a lake'... the only one in North America. Would be a fun day for you and the best gal... pack a picnic, there are lots of hiking trails too on Star...

As I said, I usually troll in 5-8' of water on flats for walleyes in the evenings and after dark with a shallow shad rap. I do well enough doing this, that my 'rigging' days for walleye are pretty limited. I guess anywhere from 14-24' is where you'll find them during the day and using live bait. Sounds like the steep breaks next to shallow structure is best to key in on. This is where a guide the 1st day or so will be worth his weight in gold... lot's of water and structure out there! He can get you dialed in and get you some fish... then you can have a walleye fish fry! MMM MMM

Good Luck!

Ken

You are awesome and I appreiciate all the knowledge. I will have to take your word on the portage to the lake with in the lake, I will definatley have to do that!!

I will leave you alone now, i think I have enough info to have a great great time. Too bad he ate those bass, I do not eat the fish, just take lots of pictures, but I will have to try some Walleye if I get lucky and land a few.

call me on my cell... I will be up this weekend also... maybe I can get you on some fish. 651.341.4581

Good Luck!

Ken

GLE,

You need to give Brian Jones a call at First Choice and have him take you and your girlfriend out on one of your first days up here. I have been coming up to Cass with my entire family for 20 years and we have been using Brian since he started his guide service. He is great at not only putting some meat in your livewell but he is not stingy with the info. He taught us how to fish on Cass, showed us where the fish were hitting, tells us what depths are working that week and what type of bait. He works very well with beginners, I have brought out a few family members who were first timers and he put them all on fish. He is a young family man who is trying to build a business and he will take you on a great half day or full day. Give him a call and tell him Windy sent you. I know he will take good care of you. I have him booked for 4 trips this year on my two week stay at Cass.

Windy

Thank you Windy. I will see what I can do to get Brian to take us out one day. That would be really great to get on some fish. I really appreciate all the help I have recieved from the outdoorsman in Minnesota. You guy's are top notch!