• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Here's a couple dandy gills that my wife and daughter caught last night. The one on the left is 9.75" (wife's) and the one on the right is Amanda's 9.50". We caught a bunch more and kept 10 for a meal.

071707ri1.jpg

Brian

Those are some dandys!!! Would you care to share what lake? I'm coming back up to the Deer River area Aug 3-6 and will be staying on Deer lake and would love to get the kids into some sunfish. I did respond to your inquiry about the bass we caught on Deer, sorry it wasn't right away.

hi bmc, NICE fish. dont suppose you would fess up to the lake now would you? me either. by the time you get to reading this i should be up there. just for the weekend. take care, good luck in your fishing endeavors.

Beautiful gills, especially for this time of year! I'm gonna have to guess bass or graves, but I know there's more than a few honeyhole lakes up there w/ pannies like that!

I know where u were wink.gif. Sis's cabin is right behind your daughter and to the right... That is our spot!!!! grin.gif

There are some beauties on little bowstring.

Great catch bmc, would you care to share what lake? Just like to catch some sunnies on my next trip up there, atleast could you give me 2 or three lakes to try by deer lake. Sometimes people say what lake they caught fish on and it's a shame you can't believe them because I thought this was a site to help other fisherman and share your success or lack of not to mislead others. I don't think by stating a lake it can get outfished, well atleast not by me, as I only will make the trip up north 2 times and 3 if I'm lucky enough so that's why I like a little info to help me in the right direction as I'm not that familiar with the lakes and would just like general ideas or suggestions to help so my family can enjoy fishing with some success without all trial and error as it should be an enjoyable time for all.

Very nice fish! Looks like a very nice and peaceful lake.

Cmon people! There is a reason you don't post names of small lakes with big panfish. Nobody ever wants to do the hardwork of finding fish. Just want to troll the internet or follow reports. Your always going to be a day late and a dollar short. Go out and do the leg work and find your own sweet spots. Its very rewarding when it all comes together.

Yes indeed. Panfish like that in little lakes can get cleaned out in no time.

jefdig,

This site is for helping other fisherman, but when it comes to panfish, they can get fished out rather quickly if a lake gets too much pressure. As mentioned, the lakes above all produce nice bluegills. Bass by Cohasset and Graves Lake have a 5 fish limit on gills. I wish the DNR would've done this a long time ago as these lake really got pounded before the 5 fish limit. I rented on Deer one summer and caught some nice gills out there. To get a better idea of some panfish lakes around Deer, go to the MN DNR site and use the "lake finder" feature. That should point you in the right direction. Thanks for the Deer Lake report. I was out there last night, 9pm to 1am and caught a couple small 'eyes and the usualy bucket full of rockbass. Lots of people at the landing!!

Brian

Quote:

Cmon people! There is a reason you don't post names of small lakes with big panfish. Nobody ever wants to do the hardwork of finding fish. Just want to troll the internet or follow reports. Your always going to be a day late and a dollar short. Go out and do the leg work and find your own sweet spots. Its very rewarding when it all comes together

Exactly! Now if a guy from Iowa knows that most guys in Minny should get the drift. To many lakes get pounded and then your bluegill population decreases as well as the size, which most guys are after when chasing panfish. Plus it takes many years (around 10 years) for a bluegill to reach the 9-10" range let alone over 11".

Nice fish BMC, I really wished I lived up in your neck of the woods with the many waters to fish and panfish to be had. It's not everyday you get to catch bluegills in the 9-10" range this time of year and go out and consistantly catch them that size! So hats off, and great to see your young daughter get to enjoy the outing as well.