• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lamprey?

DissectionACMOD

when i was a kid we would catch many with them on... but over the years it has been fewer and fewer.. dont think ive caught one in maybe 5 years or so

I haven't actually caught any, but I've seen fish (mostly redhorse) with them attached to them. Years ago I had seen a northern with about 3 or 4 of them things attached to it.

I had one attached to a snot rocket I caught a couple weeks back, freaked my son out, it was about 7" long, that was the only one so far this year, usually come across two or so a year!

I have caught many carp with lamprey attached to them. Sometimes there are two or three attached to the bigger ones.

Snagged a paddlefish in May that wasa covered in them, caught several northerns by Stillwater with multiple lamprey. For a while in June they were the only things I found in the walleye's stomachs. Seemed to relate to sand breaks the most. I think there are three separate species of lamprey in the St. Croix, one parasitic and the other two not.

Caught one nice walleye with about a 6" lamprey on it, and must have had one drop off another fish at the net 'cuz I saw one swimming away from the boat. Nasty lookin' little critters. Yech...

I'll see them on Sturgeon we catch in the Fall...better then an EEL IMO!!!!

I caught a cattie last year with one attached to it. It tried to make a break for it when I netted the fish, but I scooped it up with the net and crushed its head with a pliers. The catfish looked thankful. I shoulda tried it as bait. Is that legal?