• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey everyone - Our foursome is looking at Spider Lake the last weekend of September for a little fall muskie action. (Full moon, too).

Wondering if Spider is considered a pretty good fall muskie lake. Any feedback would be great. Looks like a neat lake with lots of points, weedbeds, etc.

Also, looks like a couple of resorts are on the lake. Any recommendation? Thanks in advance.

DB

We been staying at Spider Shores for 8 years. We go in September. John and his famimly very helpful. Cabins are nice and John is continually improving them. If you are looking for big screen TVs, a bar on site and hot tubs go some other place.

But if you want a great outdoor experience on a lake without being crowded you will enjoy Spider. We haven't fished for Muskies but have done well on Large mouth,crappie and walleye.

The other resort on the lake is also very nice.

Iceman - Thanks very much for the info. We'll give Spider Shores a call.

FYI to all, due to cancellations for the week of 8/4-8/11 they have three cabins available and are offering them at $200 off the normal weekly fee.

"Goose" grin.gif

My family has been going to Spider Lake Resort for over 15 years and I have no complaints. They treat there guests right, the cabins are clean and affordable.

We go mid June, but I will give some of the spots we have had luck with Muskies. The lake is basically split into three different "lakes" if you look at a map, you will see what I mean.

The first Lake, which is the farthest north is where both resorts are located (Spider Lake Report and Spider Shores). The only spots worth a try on this lake is the southern portion of the eastern shore. We have never hooked a Muskie here but have had several follow small bass or panfish while we were reeling them in.

The Second Lake, which is the middle lake. There are a couple of spots to try here. There is an island a few hundred yard west of the public access. This is where I would start, fish around the island and continue down the eastern shore. The next spot is the shallow bay south of the public access on the eastern shore. We have seen numerous muskies in the this bay, no takers, but we've seen some fish over 40".

Third Lake - We have had our greatest success in this lake. There are a number of small inlets and bays on the southeast shore that should be fished. Several follows, but again no takers. We have boated several muskies fishing the southwest shoreline, this is where I would focus your efforts. There is a very good dropoff along this whole shoreline, we have boated fish casting and trolling. The largest have come trolling deep diving cranks such as Depthraiders or Hellbenders. We have boated several fish over 40" along this shoreline.

Good luck, hope to see your reports when you return.

JB - Great info. Thanks. Spider Resort was booked up, but we are happy to be staying at Spider Shores. Sounds like both resorts do a nice job.

Looking forward to our trip and will report how we do. (The steep shoreline in Lake 3 does indeed look nice!)

DB

• 3 weeks later...

I have been going to Spider Lake Resort for 34 years (3 different owners) the current owners are great! My wife and I just returned this past Sunday from there. My wife caught her 1st muskie friday morning on a cowgirl. The fish was a 46 X 26, and is still swimming. I would concentrate on 2nd and 3rd lake, but we have caught fish on the weed edges in first lake. Please practice CPR.

• 2 weeks later...

46 x 26? Come on...saw the pic and there is no way it was that fat. Beautiful fish though and thanks for releasing it.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone get out this weekend for muskies?

Our group is coming up this weekend to chase them down. Will give a report when we get back.

DB

A great weekend trip to Spider. We managed to put four in the boat with a fifth lost after a boatside strike.

I landed a 39, a 41, and a 42. Buddy caught a 31. The lost fish seemed to be around 40". Fat fish, too.

Bucktails on lake 3 got us the action. Fish seemed to be relating to shorelines where there was timber or healthy cabbage with a nice drop off close by.

Got one at sunset and the other three in an hour window when we got major cloud cover. Nothing going on when it was bright and sunny. Blanked while night trolling, too.

Water temp ranged from 57-62.

While we only fished muskies, in looking at the graph, the other species look be to heavily schooled. Lots of areas where there were no fish on the graph and then you'd see piles of fish. Windy points had the best concentration.

Loved the lack of development on the lake, the colors were still good and we had a very comfortable cabin at Spider Shores.

One great weekend!

DB