• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

any crow hunters?

chuckwagon

I read an artical today In outdoor news about the crow season ... I guess I never really thought of hunting crows. It sounds fun and maybe a little challenging after reading it. Anyone out there hunt crows? Where do you go? Is It fun? Any info would be great.

I have before and they are tougher than you think. Country crows are smart and wary of distress sounds. If you are not in full camo and hidden, they will spot you. City crows are dumb..........

one tip, don't shoot the first crow that comes in, wait until there are more, they will be coming. Be patient. I use 4 shot pheasant loads, crows are tough

sit in the woods with th 22 cal. get more distance or sit over bait piles shotgun hunting them is really hard they get smart to calls if u can wound the first one they will keep coming tring to help the wounded

One of my favorite spring things to do. Can't beat a loud electronic caller. Call them in wooded areas, by the time they figure it out they are right above you. I respectfully disagree with let the 1st one go, kill the scout. If you are sitting on edges, owl decoys are a riot, the hawks bomb them. Some sandwiches, beverage of your choice or two and good friend tough to beat crow shooting.

I agree! An electronic caller and kill every one you can. Just go locate some and set up upwind and turn on the caller. It's like catching fish in a barrel.

thanks for all the info didnt know anything about it till now. i'm pretty ripped to get out there! anyone got good spots .. i live in chaska!

Hunt along major roadways; look for WMAs close to major roads. Crows love roads.

better check the dates some of the WMA's open. I know of 4 for sure that don't open until mid august around here.....

You can always knock on some doors......

Quote:

any good spots to go?

Just go drive around out in the country until you spot a couple. Have your buddy drop you off a 1/2 mile or so and sit in the ditch off the road up wind. Turn on the caller and within minutes you'll be blasting away.

What do you guys do with the crows after you shoot them? I can't imagine them tasting to good.

Use them for dekes and then leave 'em in the woods. Just think of how many diseases you kept from being spread and other bird eggs from being eaten. Dog food?! No dog deserves that!

I may have to take some time to hunt them this year. You guys say electric call works the best so I will have to pick one up. Whats the best anyone has done in a day? I assume you could take quite a few during an outing. 5? 10? 20? or more?

(note form admin, please read forum policy before posting again, Thank-You.)

1 or 2 at each spot. I have never really kept a running total.

4-5 out of one spot in about an hour was the best I've done. They catch on pretty quick and you have to keep moving to find new, uneducated birds. I just got into it a couple years ago, and it is actually really fun. You hear them calling and getting closer and it gets the heart-rate up for sure. I'm not die-hard or anything, but it's fun to do in the summer and again in the spring when it's cool and there's no bugs.

Plus it's good practice for ducks and geese and gets you in the hunting mode when there's nothing else in season.