• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Time For Some New Arrows

TUMBLEWEED

Hey all, what are some of you shooting now? Last night

I tore up another fletching, which leaves me down to

four practice and three set up with broad heads. Without

breaking the bank, what would some of you recommend I

look at. I shoot an older PSE Typhon with a factory rest.

It is pretty consistant with the PSE carbons that I

bought with the set-up. I like the all weather,

rubberized vanes that are on them. Is there anyone

here shooting something similar? I plan on stopping

in to a Cabela's or Gander this weekend perhaps.

Any help or insight is much appreciated..Thanks

I have shot carbon express cx-300's for 4 years now. Last year I went from 4 inch feathers to 2 inch blazers and I love them...

I shoot Beaman ICS camo hunter shafts. I have been very happy with these arrows. One might also think of just re fletching your other arrows to save a little money if you have enough to get through the season. If you are in the metro area, you might wait and attend the Cabin fever archery day to look at many different arrow choices and talk to some of the pro's. The time and date is on the first post on this forum.

I am way more salted with firearm knowlage and only recently

taken up the bow. I started with PSE's Nova and now have

a Typhoon.

Technology makes things difficult in what you

"really" need and what is "nice" to have. I shot aluminums

with the Nova, and then made the switch to carbons with

the Typhoon. These carbons really fly, and combined with

the all-weather vanes, seem to be the choice for any

situations afield. I don't know what the Blazers are?

I have seen a bunch of styles out on the ranges. I just

don't know the trade offs or benifits of one style over another?

I am shoot CX maxima hunters 350's. so far the best that i have shot to date.

Refletching your current arrows would be the cheapest route to take. I've shot the Beaman ICS Hunters, the Carbon Express 300s and I recently purchased some Gold Tip XT Hunters. They are all good arrows. I've even got my kids shooting some of the cheaper off brand carbons and they all have performed very well.

I'd just keep my eyes open for sales and don't be afraid to ask if they have any clearenced or discontiniued arrows.

A pro shop is a nice option if your on a tight budget, because you usually have the option to purchase only the number of arrows you need or can afford. You may be able to find a cheaper "per arrow" cost at Cabela's or Gander, but then you have to buy at least a half dozen.

What are you shooting now? You may want to consider getting the same brand and model just to be consistent.

I agree with the re-fletching route; if I bought a new arrow every time that I damaged a vane I would have to get a third job. If I damage a vane this afternoon, I will just put it in the fletching tool tonight and be as good as new tomorrow. Don’t be intimidated by the process; if you can walk and chew gum at the same time, you can fletch an arrow.

Quote:

I am shoot CX maxima hunters 350's. so far the best that i have shot to date.

I shoto the maximas as well.. been a very good arrow for me.. But I NEVER retire an d arrow till its toast... buy a fletching jig and get to work.. its fun, you make your own custom arrows and its really quite easy!

I like the Arizona EZ Fletching tool for ease of use.

I also have the blitzenburger and use it more now, but to get started the EZ(easy) is the way to go.

I shoot Gold Tip now and think they are more durable when it comes to cutting off the old vanes, but I only tried carbon express arrows before.

Blazers are the 2" vanes and work great with a whisker buscuit or when your vanes are "warping" from many shots.

I second the Arizona EZ, have used one for years. (I also just switched from Carbon Express to Gold Tip; shot the GT’s the first time yesterday… very nice).

Have any of you whisker biscuit boys tried shooting feathers? I shoot a recurve and was getting some fish tailing from the plastic vanes deflecting off of the rest. Feathers solved the problem because they lay down when they contact the rest as opposed to bounce off… I wonder if they would function the same way with the biscuit.

I'm shooting the Easton Axis ST slim profiles this year. Just started shooting them this week, but they seem real nice. Really solid penetration.

I shoot feathers with a WB and it shoots fine, you go through feathers fairly quickly but if you know someone who fletches its not a big deal.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st
    • leech~~
      As I get older it's really not just about sending bullets down range.  Some of it's just the workmanship of the gun and the wow factor. The other two guns I have really wanted which I'll never have now because of their price, is a 8mm Jap Nambu and 9mm German Luger.   Just thought they always looked cool!  
    • jim curlee
      I had a guy hit me with a lightly used 1969 BAR, he wanted $1650 with an older Leupold scope. More than I think they are worth, I made an offer, he declined end of story.   You know if you look at the old brochures, a grade II BAR sold for $250 in the late 60s, $1650 would be a good return on your investment.    Why would anybody want a 50 year old gun, they are heavy, have wood stocks, and blued metal.  I guess mainly to keep their gun safes glued to the floor. lol   You can probably buy a stainless rifle that you never have to clean, with a synthetic stock you never have to refinish, is as light as a feather, and for half as much money, perfect.   I'm too old for a youth gun, although I've shrunk enough that it would probably fit. lol   No Ruger 10/44s.   Jim      

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.