• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lab Pregnancy? Possible Problems?

theghost_03

I have a 2.5 year old lab, she is on her 64th day and has the following signs of whelping:

She had a very restless night last night and has been restless all day today

She has been breathing heavy for the same time period

She has been discharging a clear liquid (a liquid for the birth canal) for several days

Her rectal temp is currently 100 degrees

I know that the gestation period is not set in stone for 63, obviously varying from dog to dog, but from what I thought I knew the previous indicators were a good sign that I would be expecting a litter at any moment. I spoke with another breeder and he suggested to bring her in to get a C-section done. He religiously does C-sections on his females, very rarely ever allowing for a natural birth.

I then called and spoke with my vet, he stated basically that unless she starts showing that she is sick or in obvious pain that there is a problem. I thought that the pregnancy was enough of a pain? smirk.gif He also said that he figured that she should be having them at any time in the next day or so. From what I got out of the vet, he was kind of hesitant to go ahead with a C-section, knowing that timing is of the essence. Any suggestions or similar experiences that you guys could share would be great. Thanks

Any signs of contractions? If not, don't fall asleep... you are very close to having a litter. Probably hours or less. Good luck.

I have seen the contractions actually starting this afternoon..the night looks to be a restless one.

Thanks

From my experience, I'm leaning towards c-section. More than several hours of contractions, advanced day of pregnancy, and I assume first litter and smaller birth canal. We had a litter that for some reason only had 5 pups with a (Contact Us Please) that previously had ten+ and they grew too big. She couldn't push them out. After emergency c-section, the one stuck in the birth canal had a swollen nose for 2-3 days from the pushing. Good luck and post up the outcome. yogurt and cottage cheese are good sources of calcium that can induce/help labor. Try these before e-vet.

If she hasn't already whelped, you may want to talk to your vet again. I've always been told to never let them go over 65 days. I've also never had a dog go over 63 days. Most are a day or 2 early. Many vets don't like to do C-sections at night... if you know what I mean.

Are you 100% on your whelping date? You calculate from the last breeding 63 days. It sounds like she is right there and ready to go. Try getting her up and walking around the yard for 10 minutes every hour or so. Walking can get the labor process going. Always carry a towel with you in case she whelps one in the yard. They are slippery devils when they first come out.

Have you examined her digitally yet? See if she has presented a pup and if so, is it stuck in the birth canal. If that is the case, you may need a C-section and asap. You will need a latex glove and some jelly to lubricate her so you can feel around. A lot of times doing this will really get some strong contractions going. I had a pup that died right at the pelvis once. I waited too long to get it out and the pup behind that one died too. Since then I've been 'on top' of making sure she is not presenting pups, but not delivering them.

Hope it all works out... let us know how she does.

Good Luck!

Ken

Labs, I am a 100% on the date bred, today is the 65th day. This is her first litter and I have questioned obviously the ovoluation day, it could have came a day or two after the initial breeding? Is that correct? Just an update although in regards to her, I was taking rectal temperatures yesterday and all throughout the night, this morning she dropped to 99 degrees. We did have a problem through the night although, she fainted at three a.m., called the vet and they were concerned it may be eclampsia (lack of calcium for the female). They said that as long as we didnt have any other problems through the night and she calmed down to bring her in in the morning, whether this was the right decision or not, I listened to them and I waited until this morning to bring her in. We ran several blood panels and performed x rays. The vet did check manually to see if she had dilated yet. After the x ray he basically stated that she has 9-11 pups in her that appear healthy, which in turn could have resulted in stretching the birth canal and restricting contractions. So as I sit she is at the vet while they try to induce labor, and if not successful we will be performing a C-section. Will keep you updated, Thanks

I hope all goes well. That was one other thing I should have posted. When her temp drops and stays down, generally the pups will whelp within 24 hours. Keep us informed...

Good Luck!

Ken

Have any of you had problems with C-sections? Possibly resulting with the dam having no future breeding? How common is this?

I've only had two C-sections done, but both were done on dogs on their last breeding. The last section I had done, my dog's uterus tore. She had 4 puppies in one horn and 8 in the other... there was so much pressure on the uterus, that as soon as my vet touched it with the scalpel, it tore open and all the pups came falling out. We ended up spaying her during the procedure, we didn't have a choice... but as I stated it was her last litter anyways.

I know breeders who ALWAYS C-section and they don't seem to have a problem with future breedings. I've never heard of a 'routine' C-section causing implications or having an influence on future breedings. I would imagine you'd have to run into severe complications as I did before you risk the loss of the ability to breed her.

Good Luck!

Ken

Just to update you, the c section was completed yesterday afternoon, 11 healthy pups were born. the mother has since been at the vet, there were complications during and after the surgery. she started losing blood uncontrolably. thankfully they got it under control just in time, the problem now still lies within the blood. her platelet count is very low, resulting in the bloods inability to clot properly, otherwise all other signs for improvement are there, gums are pink, aware of whats going on, eyes track well, the blood was also oozing out of the incision this morning. we came down with a couple of puppies to see her over dinner and the oozing appeared to have also stopped. she was glad to see us, i could tell it in her eyes. she was definetly not up to mothering yet, but did allow the puppies to suck off of her. it is now a wait and hope she can gain strength back. will keep you updated

thanks

Congrats on the pups!

Hope Mom continues on her journey to strength! In the end it will all be worth it.

Keep us posted...

Good Luck!

Ken

It is now midnight, and as I sit, Bailey is sitting in a U of M surgery room. I came to find out from the vet doing the C-section, that there may be problems that lie further within her. I brought her out of the clinic and put her in the back of my vehicle, which she loves riding in with all her heart. She propped her head up and gave a wag of her tail. The next thing I know she was sitting up in the back watching things as we drove past. Got her up to the U and after several hours, I came to find out, that because of the loss of blood, it became so thin that it began leaking into the uterus, which should have been taken out during the c-section. She has also been beginning to get clots in her liver as a result of the blood problems. Dr.s' there basically told me chances are less than 50%, and surgery has to happen now or chances continue to diminish. So as I sit here, I just cant envision living my life without my 2 year old, energetic, loving, cuddling yet hard charging hunter. So as the night goes on, I will continue to hope.

Thanks

Good Luck Ghost! We're all here rooting for your gal... you're in good hands at the U.

Keep us informed as to her progress.

Good Luck!

Ken

Good luck to your girl Ghost! We will be thinking and praying for her. Let us know how she is doing.

Best wishes,

"hooks"

Thanks everyone for the prayers. At 2:00 this afternoon, Bailey decided that it would be best for her and everyone else if she left us quietly. She made it through surgery last night and had her uteris removed. While she was opened, they discovered that she had a infection possibly that lead to her red blood cells and platelets not fucntioning and not clotting. She had several tumors in her liver, which had not been working since she had her C-section. Her stomach and intestines were oozing blood because of how thin it was. They gave me the option of putting her down on the table or continuing with a 25% chance. I decided against my better judgement and asked to give her one last chance to fight. She made it through the night and fought all the way up until 2:00 this after noon.

At 200 I was actually on the phone just about to ask them to keep her comfortable until I could get up there, so we could put her down and so I could be with her. But as I was speaking with the doctor, she stopped breathing and I asked them to just let her go. I decided she had been in enough pain. So I sit now wondering how life goes on without something that your so close to and literally spend every second of your day with. She had the personality of a dog like I had never seen. She just loved to be with me and she would do anything to keep me happy. She would always smile when she knew she got to go play and go for rides. But right now I have 11 healthy pups, that have Bailey written all over. They will obviously never replace her, nor should they, but the house is quiet now, and I am having a tough time wondering how long the mourning will take. But to all of you with dogs, charish every moment, you never know when the healthiest dog can take a turn for the worst. But once again thanks everyone, got a ways to go before the pups are in the clear, but every minute they are alive is good news. Hopefully I can find a new hunting partner for the fall, had a lot of memories to make with her yet.

ghost, I'm terribly sorry to hear about Bailey. Its so sad to hear your dog passed. It sounds like there was more there than a difficult birth. There's never a good time to lose a friend. Pets are pets, but I think there is a different bond with hunting/ working dogs. You teach and train and build that trust. She was your friend.

Stay strong in the days and weeks ahead. The house won't be quiet for long with 11 pups in there. Take some time with the old pictures and the memories. It will help. There is no replacement for Bailey, but maybe one of those pups will steal your heart and you can raise it like Bailey. You can teach that pup how to hunt and tell it how great its mom was.

Ghost, at this moment there are not words that can be said to ease your pain. Know well that she gave her all in her final chapter, as it sounds like she did throughout her life. As a Mom, if she was able to tell you, she would've had you save her kids before you saved her. Raise em' well, to be healty and strong! To give the world 11 pieces of Baileys heart and soul. That is the greatest tribute you could give her!

Good Luck my friend!

Godspeed to Bailey!

Ken

Ghost,

I am so sorry to hear about Bailey. The last time I lost one of my best friends was 5 years ago and every time I hear of someone losing theirs, it brings back memories of the sadness, but also brings back the memories of all the funs times and the goofy things that the dog did. Again, I am sorry, I know that it is very difficult. I hope that the pain will ease and that maybe all those little Baileys that you have will help to bring some joy back to you. Keep us informed as to how the kids are doing!

Take care and Best wishes,

"hooks"

Ghost, Sorry for your loss, Just lost mine less than a year ago. It is hard, but hopefully the 11 little Baileys can help to ease the pain. I still have a hard time thinking about my old pal.

ghost,

I can tell by the way you write about Bailey that she had a great life with someone that cared for her almost as much as she cared for you. Bailey will always be a part of your life and be a part of every dog that you have from here on out. Over the next few weeks there will be a pup in the litter that will have a whole lot of Bailey's personality in it and will make you a great buddy. Not a replacement for her, but the next step in your life as a dog owner. Its the trade-off that all of us dog owners take when we decide to own a pup. They quickly become our friends, hunting partners, and even hairy little members of our families. The problem is we all know that they will only be with us for a relatively limited time. You have to take solice in the fact that you gave Bailey a wonderful life for the short time she was here.

When I get home tonight I will give my lab Libby a little extra petting and my lab Franky a couple extra retrieves(their favorite things) for Bailey.

Everyone, thanks for the prayers, thoughts, etc. I have had a tough time dealing with losing Bailey. There is one time that I can sit and smile, and thats when I am next to her puppies. They are alot of work right now, feeding them 6-7 times a day, there really just isnt a moment that I dont sit and think about Bailey. I just wish I could have ten more minutes to play fetch, to let her chase some brids up, to just let her lay with me. I walked around the house and yard today and I saw her everywhere, tailing behind me, chasing a rabbit. I saw her laying in our porch, waiting for me to get up and say lets go for a ride. I know the time will come when I can have one of these puppies fill a new place in my heart, but I know right now that there will always be an empty spot in my heart not having her with me. Never take your best friend (s) for granted, I know I never did, but still wish for more time out of her short life. Thanks again everyone, will keep you updated on the puppies, they are all coming along great!

Ghost-

I am so very sorry for you loss. As I was reading your post, my own springer was at the same stage of pregnency that Bailey was. I mean she was sitting at 65 days gestation and was wondering the same thing you were. Anyway she ended up having 2 puppies at 67 days.

Anyway, I do not know where you are located but, Echo has 5 extra nipples available if you would like to give it a go. I know how much work newborn puppies are. I am located in Buffalo.

Springer-

Thanks for the generous offer. It is a difficult task waking up every few hours to feed 11 hungry mouths. I would take you up on the offer except I live in SW MN. So far so good although with the pups, all healthy and full of energy. I am already looking at each ones personality trying to see who has the most Bailey in her. They cant grow quick enough, I am missing someone at the end of the bed, someone to greet me when I get home. It has been a very difficult week. Autopsy is being done to determine the exact cause. Thanks Again everyone!

that is one rollercoaster of a week you had ghost. as i was reading this, i could feel the joy of welcoming the new ones and the pain in the loss of your best friend. i hope the comming weeks bring you lots of laughs and fun that ony lab pups could bring.

i lost my girl in june frown.gif

theghost, sorry to hear about your loss. I will go home tonight and give my two labs some extra attention after hearing your story!!

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to give everyone an update, all 11 puppies made it 4 weeks now, all are healthy and having a ball keeping me miserable!! smirk.gif I also just picked up my male from Goldberry Kennels in Eagle Lake (which was my intentions on breeding with Bailey), but he is a gorgeous male!!

If anyone could let me know how to post these pictures, I seem to be having a tough time, I would appreciate it. Thanks everyone Again

Ghost

Bailey Lu Von Blue 12/04-07/07

ghost first you need to upload the pics onto a pic hosting site like photobucket.

Then back on the FM site click on the image link on the posting page. It is the third column on the left.

Then open your photobucket account in another window and all of your uploaded pics should be laid out for you.

Under the pics there are 4 boxes with links in them. Pick the second one which is labeled URL link and copy it.

Then paste that into the image link popup on the FM site. Then when you click continue your picture should come up.

If you still have problems you can email me your pics and I can post them for you. My email is (Contact Us Please)yahoo ddddooottt commmmm

ghost,

That's Great news! smile.gif I have been wondering hows things were going for you. 11 of them have to be keeping you busy. crazy.gif Good luck and hope things continue looking up for you. smile.gif

"hooks"