• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

LMS 520c not reading depth in weeds

FishinFreaks

Question

Wondering if anyone here has a new LMS 520c and can get it to read depth in the weeds. Seems like the moment I get into the weeds, the depth starts flashing and doesn't work at all. Very irritating. I've put it in manual mode, worked with the sensitivity levels, and nothing works. I checked for software updates, and I've got 1.5.0 whereas Lowrance's latest software update is for 1.4.0. How crazy is that? Any one having success with theirs? Any suggestions?

It's very frustrating to spend $700 on a new unit and not have it work. mad.gif

14 answers to this question

Don't tell me about it I have a 27C and have same problem with $ 1,000 in the hole.

I should have gone Humminbird.

I have the same problem with my 522c. I have done everything I can think of short of calling Lowrance and asking them.

Lowrance should be releasing a software fix for the 27C shortly. Friend of mine has one with the same problem and that is what he was told by Reeds.

I have the same problem with my 522. I do believe it is with all there products.

Tip- If you look at the grayline, you will be able to tell where the bottom is on the side depth markers. You shouldn't have to do that, but it does help.

I still own a old Eagle 7200 that was the top of the line at one time , and it reads thru the weeds great. My son now uses it for bass fishing.

My Eagle 480 has the same issue. I just learned around the problem and figured it's a technical issue that cannot be solved.

Not that I can resolve your issue, but could you explain a bit more about the depth and weed conditions that cause this to happen?

My point being, if the weeds are somewhat dense, I guess I wouldn't really expect any finder to read bottom properly. I'm certainly no sonar expert but it would seem that at some point of density, weeds would/could act like sonar absorber that prevents any return echo from getting back to the transducer. Either that, or the return echos are so random from all the different targets that the finder just can't make heads or tails out if it.

For me it is generally fairly thick weeds, and the water is usually shallow, 5 ft or less. I suspect that your explanation is correct, and I have just learned around it.

The finder just can't seem to figure out what the returns are that it is getting. It is nice, however, to find that I am not the only one with this problem.

John

I somehow feel it's a power issue, on shallow and weedy waters sonar don't need a lot of power to read, newer Lowrances have a tremendous amount of wattage output which we don't need in 6ft of water.

I wish there was an adjustable setting.

I love my 27c...... from 15ft and deeper

I presume you guys have seen this thread from a couple days ago?

Sounds like the problems are similar to me...

marine_man

The problem starts when I get into the weeds inside 12-15 feet. I can walk to the back of my boat where my X-15 is. It's reading just fine.

I have adjusted the power higher and lower, messed with grayscale settings, etc. Tried tons of stuff. No help.

I did see that other thread, but it really offers no help to new systems.

The only thing more I can offer is that every sonar graph I've had gives funky readings when the weeds get to a certain level.

Problem is they've all been Lowrance/Eagle so I have no other basis of comparison. If someone said different of another brand, as in it works just fine in (relatively)shallow water and heavy/tall/dense weeds, I'd have to see it to believe it.

Quote:

I did see that other thread, but it really offers no help to new systems.

I disagree and think a call to Lowrance might be in order. The 520C is the 332C with a new model number, right?

What they likely did when they started developing the 520C was a do a "save as" on the 332C's software and modified it to work on the 520C. If the issue that is being exhibited on the older units in the thread I referred to you was already in the software when they did a save as you've now got the same problem, but unfortunately no rev 1.6 to revert to.

I'd make lowrance aware of the issue (good luck, I've heard they're not very easy to work with unfortunately) and see if they can get you an older version to see if it works better.

Good luck!

marine_man

Ok, I've had the same symptoms with my LCX-110, won't read in weeds or water less than 10'. I also experienced my unit losing its reading over 30mph. 100% of these problems started after I installed 1.7.0 update. I tried changing transducers, remounting them, no help. Reading everyone else's similar problems was the most help. I contacted Lowrance this morning, and got quick service, I was helped within 5 minutes. I work at a Lowrance dealer, I've found it best to contact them right away in the morning. They will help you quicker. I asked them to email me the previous version for my 110, 1.6.0. I'll load it up and see if it helps, I'm very confident it will. I'll post my results here in a few days. If you need the old 1.6.0 version, I can email it to you.

Are the updates compatible between units LCX28 to LMS 520? That would be cool.