• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trail Cam Photos - Lets get going!!!

certified jumbo

I kinda have a spot in my hear for non-typs(aka genetically deficient). So no culling for this guy.

Are we saying this deer shoulda been culled as a youngster? blush.gif

buck.jpg

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shack

• Mark Christianson

• TrophyEyes

• shedfreak

Mark,

I thought I told you, "under no circumstances are you to photograph my deer mount", when I let you come over to look at it! Sheeeesh... next time I'm gonna have to make sure you leave your camera phone in the truck! grin.gif hehehe

Good Luck!

Ken

p.s.

for the record, the 'experts' are all changing their song and dance on culling spikes and forks. Many articles written over the last couple years on this subject... With the research that has been completed the last few years, they have found out the 1st rack has little impact on the mature rack of a buck. A better gauge is their 3 1/2 year old rack. Barring injury, they will not grow any more points on their main frame (does not incld. kickers, stickers, drops and other trash)... just the main frame. You have the ability to judge their trophy potnetial at that stage. This is now the protocol for all the big pay to shoot ranches. The 'management bucks' that they let you shoot for cheap, are bigger than most bucks any of us will ever get in our lifetime. You are not allowed to shoot young deer (spikes through 6 pointers) any longer at many of these operations.

Not that I dont like it.... grin.gif but if were gonna go on about this we should move it to a different post! Maybe no need, it seems most agree!?!

Those look like some pretty young bucks. Maybe 3 1/2 at the most. If you let them walk this year you will have some monsters. Those two look like brothers. That 9 point might be a year older than the eight. But it looks like you have four nice bucks there.

Nice bucks. Easily considered trophies in Kandiyohi County where I hunt and wouldn't hesitate to take them. Lots and lots of does. Very few bucks as the yearlings and spikes typically get wiped out the first gun season.

thats an awesome picture antler creek!!!

i was setting up a stand and swapped the memory card there was only two pics on there. this was one.

twig08.24001.jpg

Here are a few small bucks from my feeder cam last night.....

MDGC0005.jpg

MDGC0006.jpg

MDGC0021.jpg

MDGC0033.jpg

MDGC0099.jpg

MDGC0103.jpg

Think these are all 1 1/2 yr old deer?? Maybe 2 1 /2 yr?

her are a few from the hunting shack. I am not commenting on which ones we will harvest and which we will save to save myself from getting ripped apart on here.

[image] MDGC0084.jpg

[/image]

MDGC0109.jpg

MDGC0207.jpg

MDGC0226.jpg

MDGC0316.jpg

MDGC0331.jpg

MDGC0333.jpg

I would take each and every one of those.............including the antlerless one in the back grin.gif

And it sure looks like they are out during shooting light to me....

LuciaAndTim, is that a water dish you have out? I ask because I just created a small water source - 16 1/2 gallon rubber dish I sank into the ground about 20 yards from my mineral lick - and will be interested to see from my trail cam if they are using it given that its still pretty dry around here.

Quote:

LuciaAndTim, is that a water dish you have out? I ask because I just created a small water source - 16 1/2 gallon rubber dish I sank into the ground about 20 yards from my mineral lick - and will be interested to see from my trail cam if they are using it given that its still pretty dry around here.

That is exactly what it is wink.gif All the local watering holes were drying up so I thought i'd give the local wildlife a spot they know they could wet their whistle. Out of the 120 pictures I got that night there were plenty that showed them using it, so I guess it worked. I also have pictures of other little critters drinking from the water. They are either squirrels or rabbits. My daughetr wasn't too happy with me thoough....it is the top to her sanbox crazy.gif Oh well she loves watching the deer. grin.gif

Nova:

If you are having a difficult time deciding which ones to shoot maybe you should just take the year off and let me in grin.gif

That can be a lot of stress for one man wink.gif

Good luck....as mentioned above the best part is that they are daylight shots!! Could be an easy early season for you?

Good luck!!

Cool. I just filled mine up with 3 1/2 5 gallon buckets this weekend. If we get some rain once a week, I'm good. If not, it's not far off a dirt road that I can carry a couple of buckets of water in once every few weeks.

Quote:

Nova:

If you are having a difficult time deciding which ones to shoot maybe you should just take the year off and let me in
grin.gif

That can be a lot of stress for one man
wink.gif

Good luck....as mentioned above the best part is that they are daylight shots!! Could be an easy early season for you?

Good luck!!

yeah, good luck with that, the guys are lined up around the corner since I posted the pics.:D

I just have to keep patterning them over the next 3 weeks and hopefully things go my way this time. There are plenty of day light shots of all of these, so they haven't gone nocturnal yet blush.gif Good luck to you also.

Quote:

Quote:

That is exactly what it is wink.gif All the local watering holes were drying up so I thought i'd give the local wildlife a spot they know they could wet their whistle. Out of the 120 pictures I got that night there were plenty that showed them using it, so I guess it worked. I also have pictures of other little critters drinking from the water. They are either squirrels or rabbits. My daughetr wasn't too happy with me thoough....it is the top to her sanbox crazy.gif Oh well she loves watching the deer. grin.gif

I read about doing this in Field and Stream and think it's a great idea; my hunting land is dryer than I have ever seen it.

If you put a small water source like this in an area that you hunt, would it be baiting?

I would say almost for certain that it isn't illegal because it is a natural resource....water!!!!! I just might do that for myself because there isn't any water in or around my area and I think it just might be the key.

mr

Also, this is the last I'll post of it here cause I don't want to get off topic, but if you're going to have standing water like that near your hunting area, it might help to prevent mosquitoes by getting some of those eco-friendly dunks that are basically bacteria that kills mosquito eggs. I checked several times to make sure they are safe for wildlife and they are. They say so on the package and suggest using them in watering troughs for livestock.

Shoot the axis deer on the bottom!!!! Just kidding. You have two really nice bucks in there. One has the crab claw and the other has a main beam that turns up on his right side. I just got word that I have a nice 12 roming around my stand, but haven't gotten any pics yet. Keep you all posted. I don't care if the only picture I get of him is in the back of the truck.

Hey Amish dude

Did you bag anything good last year? I remember lots of good animals on cam last year too.

If your rebuttal is asking if we got anything from our place, thats a big fat zero!!!!!!!!!! Cripes.

Trail cams are a bittersweet tool......... crazy.gif

Nate,

That is an awesome photo... Looks like a nice high/wide 10 to me.

Good Luck,