• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Nick Punto

shivermeister

I have a prediction... Nick Punto is going to explode the second half of this season. I realize that so far he is one of the worst everyday offensive players in the league, but because of his defense, there is no doubt he is priceless and will get to play everyday. He proved he can do it last year. Any thoughts???

I would love him to, but am not very optimistic at all about it happening. Punto's year last year was a career year and a fluke IMO.

His career numbers are closer to what they are at right now than what he achieved last year.

Also, I don't think he is "priceless" in any way other than a great utility guy. He is definitely a great person to have on the bench, but I think that expecting him to hold down the fort at 3B all year is unreasonable.

Punto is a nice player but he'd better serve the Twins by being a utility infielder.

I will take 9 Nick Punto's anytime any place. The guy has a lot of heart and plays hard. I hope he can pick up his offensive hitting in the second half and make us all proud. Twinkies had a nice game last night. Let's hope they have a second half like they did last year.

Quote:

I will take 9 Nick Punto's anytime any place

You would also be cheering for a last place team. smirk.gif

I hope you like watching a lot defense because there would be NO offense

OK Ozzie Guillen!!!! The guy had a 300 batting average last year. Maybe I should have stated I'll take 9 Punto on a contract year. Last place now that is funny!!! Rock on Pirana!!!!!!!!!! Just remember in any sport 99% of the time the team with the best defense takes home the trophy!!! Thank You very much

like stated Punto had a career year last year offensivly....They call it a career year because it is probably the best year he will have in his career.....I like Punto great defense but not a good hitter......Twins need a good hitter at third...Maybe next year they will have a 3rd basemen and Punto can become the 2nd basemen that can't hit!!! grin.gif

I saw Punto's stats at the half for this season and last. He is actually ahead in hr and rbi this year. He is batting about 90 points less for average, go figure. I will agree with the utility position. He may not be a full time 3rd baseman but he is a full time defensive player.

Not hard to be ahead of 0 HRs last year at this point. BUT- I have said it before- the guy has an awesome glove, and he could be hitting .059, and hes gonna put that glove on and save you ALOT more runs than he produces- its a wash....

Quote:

I have a prediction... Nick Punto is going to explode the second half of this season. Any thoughts???

If by 'Explode' you mean hit around .290, maybe another homer or two, and 15-20 steals, then I agree with you.

I would not responded to this post except I see Zamboni replied, I admire your passion for the guy, but he plain out is not a major league player. Not knowing you, I hope you don't get excited about his hustle and his slides at first base. Let me get this into your head, he is not a regular 3rd baseman or a starter on 30 of 32 teams in MLB. He is a utility player or a popcorn vender at a carnival no matter if he is an average 3rd baseman. Another example of MN nice.

Did you see what I said about him- argue all you want cuz you don't like him- he had Yah oos top baseball play of last week when he caught that ball off the top dugout step falling backwards. I don't give 3 craps about him hitting, read what I wrote- it's not the runs he gives us, it's about the runs he prevents getting scored on us- he has a great glove, do you guys NOT read my posts?????

Punto should not be an everyday player. The Twins have no depth at third therefore Punto plays. Cirillo can't hit righties so he can't play. Punto can't hit either of them. Twins need to deal for a third baseman. World Series are not won with defense in baseball they are won with pitching. Punto is the Doug Mientkiewicz of yester year.

I am not sure we can say that defense takes home the trophy 99% of the time in baseball. The best ranking of any of the last 3 world series participants has been 6th. Which means none of the top 5 defensive teams have even made it to the world series. Now pitching that is another story - the last 3 world series has had at least a number 2 team era participate. One was #1 with the #17 defense in the league, so there might also be an arguement for you can have good pitching without good defense.

I was a huge fan of Punto last year, but like another poster had stated he had a career year last year. Now he is back to Punto again hitting between .210 and .250. I mean even as much as I liked him last year when I look at those offensive numbers they were really nothing for a guy that hit in the 2 whole most of the season.

I say we for sure need an upgrade at 3rd. The runs he saves could easily be tripled by a good power hitting 3rd baseman - imo!

GO TWINS!!!!!!!

the last third of our line up is horrible, we need to make some moves and get someone that can hit with a little power. Like most AL teams we need some power at DH and 3rd base. I wouldn't mind using Punto as a utility player but we need someone at the end of the line up that actually puts alittle fear in other teams.

After reading that article, it brought tears to my eyes, FROM LAUGHTER! What to you think their gonna say, tell the truth and say Punto sucks?

Well, they've been looking since Gaetti left, still had 7-8 good years left in him when they got rid of him. Must be the Twins forte' (Ortiz). BTW- its good to hear they are giving Gaetti the recognition he deserves by putting him in the teams HOF.

Punto is one of my favorite players to watch and no one can deny that he is one of the top defensive player in the league, unfortunately that doesn't make him an everyday starter, as many runs as he may save with his glove, they are all given right back up when he is at plate, especially in the past few games with lack of an ability lay down sac bunts twice, and some costly base running errors, I think he is destined to be a utility man, but a (Contact Us Please) good one, his insticts in the field are incredible, and every team needs that guy who can come into the field off the bench make a webgem to get the team fired up for their turn to bat, its an important role that hopefully he can fill when we get a decent hitter at 3B.

• 3 weeks later...

Quote:

I have a prediction... Nick Punto is going to explode the second half of this season.

ROTFLMAO... Wow, what a great baseball mind!

Quote:

I will take 9 Nick Punto's anytime any place. The guy has a lot of heart and plays hard.

HAHAHAHAA LOL. Thanks guys I needed a good laugh.

I'll admit I was wrong and take the heat. Bravo, though, on waiting 'til a month after the post to come on and knock the guy who goes out on a limb and makes a prediction. It takes a great baseball mind to reply with ROTFLMAO. Gotta love those safe cheap shots. Let's hear something from your great baseball mind.

Bass N Spear,

Make us an offer man, we can have Mr Crede wrapped up and Fed Ex'd to the Twin Cities....Overnight if you want to pay the extra $10!!!

Windy

Quote:

Bravo, though, on waiting 'til a month after the post to come on and knock the guy who goes out on a limb and makes a prediction.

I believe I was the 5th post on this thread. Looks your wrong again.

Quote:

I believe I was the 5th post on this thread. Looks your wrong again.

I had seen your post, and am/was in total agreement with it. I would not want 9 Nick Puntos either as we would be a last place team. You made no mention of my prediction.