• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trying the Wacouta Bridge tonight, first time, Q's

I'm going tonight with a couple people from work, launching around the wacouta bridge area ( Is that pool 2?). I've never fished the river before. Any tackle suggestions, warnings ( snakes?)? I'd be interested in bass and walleye... Thanks!

Sorry, didnt see this till today. Wakota bridge crosses pool 2. Cranks for walleyes and bass.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow I am really late on this one but... If your still checking this post. After launching head north (Up) river to were on the right hand (east) side there is a small outlet stream coming in probably tucked in by barges but they won't park in front of it. It's actually a discharge stream from the water treatment plant. Before the RR bridge. Anyway in early Eve I catch Walleye and Pike at the edge of the dark water. When you get in close you'll know what I mean. Watched a guy land a 40" pike just the other evening. Walleyes run 16 to 19 inches. Fun. I use night crawler and lay it on the bottom like I'm fishing for carp.

For the pike I throw spinner baits and plastics of any kind. Be aware that a very large carp could grab your night crawler as could a Cat. Also just behind the RR bridge posts anything could be hiding from the current there.

If there are lots of birds on one particular bardge and you want fast crazy action set up just downstearm BIG carp and Cats wait behind these. The birds are gathered because there is grain to be had they kick alot of it in the river and the fish plant themselves downstream waiting for it.

I agree ,good post but A little too specific for me - That spot is pretty small with a two boat max probably so posting it on a well read forum like this ,I don't think, is very appropriate.I realize its not a secrete spot or anything But c' mon -I've never complained about any posts before but this one went a little to specific for Me -How about A PM next time if you want to help someone out witch is what this site is all about !!

he gave one spot on the largest river in North America and you are complainig.......who cares like stated it is all C&R!!!

I realize its catch and release Guys ,don't understand what that has to do with anything.And I also realize its a huge body of water. I'm sure you two are Veteran rats with countless spots on that stretch but I am not . I know-Go find new spots -I try every time out, I'm saying If you want to throw a specific spot out that's about as big as my Living room, How about a PM next time - Thats all Im Saying

I know how you feel 'eyesonly', I've had some good spots too made public that were money spots that never got fished. Not a good feeling but its the nature of the beast now days.

When it comes to the river(s), yeah, they are big bodies of water but the fish sure seam to stack up in key locations. When it comes to the way I fish a river (anchored), once I pull up on one of these key locations, nobody else can fish it. So take a stretch of river and put an anchored boat on all the key locations and you are running out of spots to fish fast.

Lakes can take a lot of fisherman because there is usually some kind of rotation- trolling, casting a shoreline, working a weededge, breakline, etc. Boats move into and out of areas, you can fall into line and get a chance at the good spots too. You are really SOL when you pull up to your spot on the river to see a boat anchored there. frown.gif

Thats kind of my soapbox about the river. Yes its big but is it really 'that' big.

For me: Fishing for eyes, smalleys, nortrons, etc... I say blab away. Theres tons of spots on P2 to find these if you look. As hanson said there is a tad bit more spot rotation with these species, so if someones in your spot, its a little easier to adapt a new game plan for the day, as opposed to planing on anchoring for a good 6 hours in a well proven spot you know will kick out a flathead eventually then find that spot is already anchored on. P2 amazes me as far as how, and where you can actually catch walleyes and smallys, as opposed to thinking the fish will only be relating to certain areas. I love P2, and hope it never gets cleaner, because if it did the people that will only fish waters to keep fish will all flood to there. As far as flatheads go, unless you fish them in mid fall when there traveling alot over the flats, there pretty spot specific from the dam to 494.

my .02

joe

Eyes I apologize if this was some kind of secret spot you had. But.. honestly dozens of guys I fish with stop in here from time to time it's no secret. If you really needed it to be secret slip me an email and I'll give you a couple of better spots that are widely known but they can be in your go to list in case a couple of boats are sitting in this spot.

Can anyone tell me what kind of depths can be found down in the pool 2 area? I love to troll deep water (25-60 feet) for big walleyes and I just recently moved to west st.paul and will be spending most of my time fishing the mississippi now. What are some good spots to troll in this area?? (keep in mind I am completely clueless about this area so if you guide me with the names of landmarks and areas, I am going to have no idea what you are talking about). Thanks a lot for any helpful info. you can give me. I promise I won't anchor in any of your favorite spots listed on here!!! I like to cover water!

GoggleEye

cool.gifsmile.gif

Most of pool two right now is going to be 8-10 feet threw out entire channels area (they dredge for barges). There are some deep holes here and there, but to troll them is next to impossible. Best thing is get out and locate fish. Jig, cast cranks or river rig bounce with live bait at depths fish are at and you will get fish. I would say locate and stay stationary is you best bet right now! Some people do drift and others troll up stream (planner boards or not), but I like to get on top of them and work a small area.

Good luck

Just above the 494 bridge is a large deep hole that holds fish. I know it gets to 40', deeper in spots.

Quote:

I try every time out, I'm saying If you want to throw a specific spot out that's about as big as my Living room, How about a PM next time - Thats all Im Saying

First off, the river belongs to everyone. To say not to post this or that is not your choice. There are thousands of spots on this river, and to complain about one being reveiled is just wrong. Like the posts before said, get over it. These problems could be avoided if there was PM's, but there is none. Let's not hang everyone that comes on here to offer information. confused.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Stop crying. This particular water discharge spot is obvious to see. I actually fished all the way up in there yesterday. Then I came here and seen this post about that spot. Crazy, this spot is a typical fish location. Not like it's an underwater hump or rock pile that he keyed you in on. Settle down.

• 1 month later...

Quote:

I agree ,good post but A little too specific for me - That spot is pretty small with a two boat max probably so posting it on a well read forum like this ,I don't think, is very appropriate.I realize its not a secrete spot or anything But c' mon -I've never complained about any posts before but this one went a little to specific for Me -How about A PM next time if you want to help someone out witch is what this site is all about !!

Wow, I didnt think much of that particular spot.. I thought the writer was just bluffing... However, if you are this worked up about it, it definitely MUST be a good spot... I gotta check the spot out for sure now.... Thanks for the heds up!! grin.gif

I can't WAIT!