• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Alfalfa in food plots

BLACKJACK

I've been at this deer food plot hobby for about 5-6 years now and one of the things that I've noticed is that any of the food plot mixes that have alfalfa in them seem to last longer. What I mean is that after 4-5 years the clovers tend to die out but the alfalfa will still be growing fine. The deer do seem to like the clovers better but if you keep mowing the alfalfa the deer will also eat it. I bought a 50 pound bag of alfalfa this spring and I'm going to start mixing it with some of the clover mixes, especially on the areas that are trails or firebreaks at the edges of my CRP, they get more vehicle traffic, I think the alfalfa will hold up better and still provide the deer with another food source.

Has anybody else used alfalfa in their food plots?

BlackJack, I don't plant food plots as I hunt in SEMN with lots and lots of cropland. There is nothing better than alfalfa shoots about 4 inches high. I have seen deer walk through clover fields to get to the alfala field after a fourth crop is taken up. They'll browse in the alfala fields before strapping the feed bag on in the corn fields. Once it gets too high, it gets woody and the deer don't like it as much. Keep it mowed, the deer will love it.