• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

300 WBY Mag

89Bronco

I will be hunting moose in the fall and I will be using my 300 Weatherby. The advise I'm looking for is: What brand/type/weight of bullet would you use?

I can already tell you that I've heard or read good things about Weatherby's 180 grain or 200 grain Nosler Partition. I've seen some 180's in the stores, but no 200's. There are some Federal 180 grain Barnes Triple Shock that I can get fairly cheap, but haven't read a lot about them... yet. Any opinions would be great, especially if you've had experience with elk or moose in this caliber.

I havent tried Barnes Triple shock bullets yet but I think they would be a great bullet. I shoot a 300 WSM and I have shot several moose with this gun. I have used mainly 180 gr nosler partition. A couple times I even used 165 gr for moose. Dropped a few in their tracks. I have a buddy that shoots a 300 Wby and thats all he handloads is the nosler partition in 180 gr. I have shot some winchester bullets in soft point just because they were the cheapest ones out there but lately I have been using Federal Fusion and I am happy with them. Some people may not agree with me but I think 180 gr is plenty for moose. By the way where are you hunting moose this fall? Good Luck! B-dude

While I have not shot much for 30 calibre Barnes bullets, I have shot a lot with the .338.

So far, I've killed three elk and about a dozen whitetails.

The bullets have performed in an outstanding fashion.

I shoot a .338 Win Mag, and my wife shoots a .338/06 (30/06 necked up to .338)

We both shoot 210 grain Barnes, and we have each recovered one bullet. Hers went through both shoulder blades of a whitetail buck. I put it on my powder scale, and it still weighed out at 210 gains. It had opened up to about .50 cal, and did not loose one bit of material. Mine went through the brisket of a buck, came out the ribs at the diaphram and lodged in the back knee joint. Again, this bullet still weighed out at 210 gains.

Nothing wrong Noslers either. Many in my elk party shoot them, and they swear by them as much as I swear by Barnes.

You are on the correct track by looking for a premium bullet, and either one will serve you well.

Thanks guys. I picked up two boxes of Federal Vital Shok brand with 180 grain Barnes Triple Shock bullets for 39.99 at Scheel's. The reason I was asking in my above post was because of the cheap price. Like I said before, there doesn't seem to be a ton of information on them yet, probably because they are newer than the Nosler Partitions. And I sometimes get skeptical when something is marked down quite a bit. (By the way, there is one box left! grin.gif)

B-dude, I'll be in Zone 33 along the Echo Trail. This is my first true "big-game" I guess you could say. I hunt deer and bear with a .44 mag, but since the MN hunt is Once-in-a-lifetime deal, I wanted to use something that reaches out a little farther than 50 yards.

If you don't mind me asking, where do you guys go to hunt moose (B-dude--you have several) and elk? Do you hire guides or is it do-it-yourself on public land somewhere? The latter would interest me.

Thanks again for the votes of confidence on the Barnes.

i have had good luck with hornady v-max 180gr in 300 win dropped elk in its tracks but shot placment is everything!

Lake of the woods area is where I hunted moose. I used to live in Ontario so that is why I taken a few moose in the past. I taken moose with rifle, bow, shotgun and muzzleloader but my biggest was with a muzzleloader at 10 yards which had a 61 inch spread that later scored 188 3/8 B&C points. My favorite method of moose hunting is calling them in when the rut is in full swing. Quite the rush when a big bull is coming in to a call. Hope you get to experience that rush this fall. Good luck and I am willing to give some tips on moose hunting. B-dude

B-dude, I'm willing to listen to anyone with advice. I do believe I'll be doing some calling, but it all depends on if the rut has started at that time...or so I'm told. Shoot me an e-mail sometime: finlander13 at yahoo . com.

89 Bronco,

You will love TSX's they have 100% or darn close to it weight retention and when they expand the edges sre like razors going thru butter.

we have used them on over dozen whitetails in MN and ND and Antelope in SD. We also were drawn for a Moose tag in Zone 33. A good place to read about TSX's and hear top opinions of them is 24 hour campfire (hope it is ok to post this) also check the Barnes site. Remember one thing is when shooting pure copper use a high quality copper remover as it will affect the point of impact as it builds up over time.

Hope ya get a good one.

bd

89 bronco! hey you got mail! hope all is well! Take care B-dude