• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Boat Fueling Problem

Fishook

Question

I recently purchased a 2007 Alumacraft Tourn. Sport 185CS. I am very, very pleased with this unit but I am experiencing a problem which I think others might be running up against. When I fill the tank I am getting fuel to splash back up and out of the fuel intake. I have tried to trickel it in and it just does not want to fill properly. I have experienced this while the boat is on the trailer (at the gas station) and at resort dockside and it does not matter how much fuel is in the tank. Trying to fill by pouring in fuel hardly works any better. I have personally talked to two people who are experiencing the same thing. One is also a TS 185 and the other is a Dominator. Anyone else dealing with this and, if successfully, what are you doing? Thanks.

10 answers to this question

Make sure the vent isn't clogged. Lack of air realse will cause the fuel to splash.

I don't think I've seen a boat with built-in tank yet that doesn't do this if you fill it too fast. I have a 1998 Sylvan, one friend has a Lund Mr. Pike, another has a Lund Explorer SS, another has a Lund Pro-V, another has a Cresliner and they all do it.

The filler access relative to the tank is not good and so you have to listen for the fuel and slow down the fill rate before the filler handle triggers off automatically. If you wait that long you will probably have trouble.

I just figure it is inherent in most boats due to the distance between the tank and the filler.

Bob

I had the same problem on my 96 Crestliner. I purchased an 04 Crestliner this year and have not had a problem. I'm no expert, but the fuel cap and fill are two different systems. I notice that the fill I have on the newer boat is at an angle and the old boat was strait down. Some of the guys on this board who really know their stuff most likely have a logical explaination. The cap and fill on my newer boat are made by Perko.

had the same problem with my mr.pike. smaked a dock and broke the vents so i had to replace them. ever since she fills just great. it is a very annoying deal, so try the new vents.

I had a '97 Tournament Pro and had the same problem. The guys telling you about the fuel vent are correct. The vent is on the left side of the boat about 1/2 way front-to-back. Before you fill up, give it a 1/2 turn or so to open it up a little, fuel up, then twist it back. Makes a huge difference.

Just make sure you don't leave the vent open after fueling, if you do you'll run the risk of getting water in your gas, especially in big waves.

Apparently the '07's have a different vent design - there is no outside vent on this boat. Both the boat manufacturer and the boat dealer are looking at this problem and are trying to find a solution. I appreciate all the responses and hope anyone else having this problem with an '07 might be able to provide some input.

I had the same problem on my Crestliner. On mine, the vent tube is right next to the fuel tube/intake (both under the cap). I need to make sure the gas nozzle is in the fuel tube (or pointing directly in to the fuel tube) when filling at a station. When filling with a gas can I use a funnel with a flexible neck pointing in to the fuel intake.

Ooops, read your post too fast - saw the '7' and thought it was the same as my '97 grin.gif Good luck getting it solved!

I use the shaker siphon (a glass marbel in a brass fitting that is connected to a hose and you just put the brass/marbel end into the gas can and shake it up and down a few times, and it siphons the gas into the fill line. This may help this problem, since you can extend the hose down the fill line 3' or so. This is also a dream method of filling. Set the gas can on the gunnel and get the siphon going and relax and smoke a stogie (kidding on the stogie part). Grab one and try one as it may be a fix to the symptom, but in the end it's a much more relaxing way to fill the tank (assuming it's done by gas cans).

I will try the shaker siphon. I have never heard of one but it sounds great. I have an older boat and the fill pipe is on the back of the boat. I was planning on removing the built in tank and using the removable six gallon tanks because filling the built in tank was a waste of time.

Have others tried putting the gas nozzle at different angles or inserting it at different depths? I am sure you have but if not give it a try. That works on my boat.