• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Maybe looking to upgrade my Yamaha 115 for a Suzuki 175. This is a long shot with the wife but I want to look into it anyway. My boat is rated for 175 and I would like to utilize this rating so my ego does not get bruised anymore when a pontoon passes me. I love the yamaha but I don't believe they make a 4 stroke 175. Any reports on the Suzuki or any other 4 stroke 175's. Remember the ego is at stake. wink.gif

Haha.. Your ego depends on motor size?

I dont think the extra motor is going to help you catch any more fish. Save your money.

point setters,

Don't take the ego thing too serious. It was written as more of a joke than anything. Truth is I have an oppurtunity to max out engine size on my boat and sell my motor to a friend who is looking for a good used motor to replace his that is going to cost more than what the engine is worth. Although those (Contact Us Please) pontoons are getting to my fishing spots before I am or maybe there just getting out of bed earlier. Probably the later grin.gif

muskieswen,

The 175 Suzuki is a fine motor. My main concern would be cost. If I understand it correctly you'll have to change all your controls to change from a Yamaha to a Suzuki. Has that been figured into your cost estimates on the replacement?

Suzuki makes a fine four stroke, a little heavier than most, but a fine motor.

Before you repower with a 4-stroke, have a long look at the Evinrude ETec. I had to repower a couple years ago (fried power head) and was convinced my new engine would be a 4-stroke.

After a lot of shopping and comparing, the ETec turned my head. Quiet and fuel efficient like a 4-stroke. But lighter, snappier, and quite a bit less money.

HansB,

I am thinking of getting a new fishing rig next year. How has the E-Tec been working out for you? Any problems?

I have a 115 Yamaha 4 stroke now and love it, but Lund will not sell their boats with a Yamaha on them anymore. Dumb decision, but that is the way it is I guess.

Cliff

Quote:

HansB,

I am thinking of getting a new fishing rig next year. How has the E-Tec been working out for you?

I'm into my third season with the ETec. I don't spend as much time on the water as a guide, but not much less either!

So far the engine has been flawless. Easy on fuel, easy on oil, great throttle response anywhere from idle to wide open, quiet, starts as soon as you click the switch, and just does it's job as it's supposed to. I'm very happy with it and would buy another in a heartbeat.

Hans,

Thank you!

That gives me another option over a Merc. to consider.

Cliff

Yamaha makes a 150 hp 4-stroke. That would probably push your boat along quite well.

Cliff - I think if you went to Ray's or RJ's you could still get a Yamaha on a Lund. It may cost a little more than a Merc. You could consider going to an Alumacraft, I know you wouldn't have a problem getting a Yamaha on that grin.gif

Hey Guys,

I am running a 175 Verado on my 1800 Pro V this year and I love this motor. As far as performance, this thing has snort, unlike the 4 stroke Honda which I have had the past three years. The Mercury Smart-Craft is awesome. I can use the Smart-Craft trolling mode to get the 175 down to 550 RPM's and troll under 2MPH GPS on flat water. Something to consider if you do any trolling. It eliminates the need for a kicker motor which reduces cost, weight, and space on your existing boat.

Just my 2 pennies. Might even be worth half of that.

Doug

Thanks Doug!

All info. is welcome before I make the big jump!

Cliff

cliff,

I have the same motor and it has treated me good for five years now. My old boat had a 40 hp 2 stroke yammy that I had for 18 years. I sold the boat and motor to a friend and he has had it for 5 years now. I had only to replace the water pump and a gas hose in that time. That is why i went to a yammy again. I wish they made a 175 4 stroke. I may have to tell my buddy that he is on his own and I will keep my 115 hp.