• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

how much to tip a guide?

No, we aren't there to see a guide getting a boat ready, but prep work should be included in their salary. Just like when you cut lemons, fill the peanut bowl, or fill the cooler.

Like someone said, tips may be justified if they keep you out longer, run your kid into the restrooms (extra gas), etc... (above and beyond -- not for reaching into a cooler).

If 2 other boats had fantastic fishing and my boat had terrible fishing because of 2 rookies in charge, no way would I tip. I would also let the owner know of the situation and disappointing catch (relative to the other boats). I would also let all my friends and neighbors know to be careful with that guide service. Is this tough love for the poor rookie captain? You betcha. The rough sea will teach him to get in ship-shape or to ship out.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• harvey lee

• Nate McVey

• slotlimit

• palisade1kid

4wnaderingeyes. You should go and enjoy the trip. If you cannot or dont believe that you should, that is also fine. They are being paid a good wage to take you fishing for the time purchased.

I personally choose to tip a guide if I believe that they went above and beyond the call of duty. One does not have to do it.

Go fishing and enjoy and dont think you have to tip. It is a personal choice just like buying a car, we all dont buy chevy's.

My barber now runs her shop out of her house. Should I still tip her?

Mine gets at least $4.00 each time I get a haircut. Back in my GI days it was typical that everyone gave them a buck, but then the haircuts were not that tough and GI's do not make a ton of money either :-( Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

I guess I got this topic off subject with tipping barbers and we should try to keep it with the guides, the original question.

Sorry.

Hey Guys!

Interesting thread. I'm a guide here on Rainy Lake. Personal experience it that I'm tipped almost always. Don't expect one, but certainly always appreciate one. I've been tipped $200.00 on a day trip at the most, but typically receive around 15%. Here on Rainy your typically talking around $300-350.00 per day including bait and gas. I'll say that none of us are getting rich, but do enjoy what we are doing. I'll also add that our toughest days on the water as guides are when the fish aren't going like you we would prefer. Nobody wants the fish to bite more than the guide. I also guide during the winter months, but for the most part up in this country your business revolves in a 6 month season. I don't necessarily think it is a fair comparison between doctors/lawyers and fishing guides. There is a slight pay scale difference. I guide because it is what I like to do, and subsequently make a moderate living doing so. I have first class equipment and am on the water 6-7 days a week. Tips in my mind are rendered when you feel your guide is above average, works his butt off for you, and you had fun. Last I checked most fisherman fish because they enjoy themselves on the water. Yep we catch a lot of fish too, but when I was younger the lessons I learned from experienced guys on their home waters far far far outweighed the days catch. A days catch is just that, but a education of the lake coupled with a nice catch will pay huge dividends in the future for you. Bottom line is especially when heading up on a 7 day trip a fishing guide will most always be able to bring you up to speed on fish movements and tacticts to not only make the day enjoyable, but also the rest of your trip. Good Fishing Guys and have fun out there.

RD

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• jparrucci
      Very low, probably 2 feet lower than last year at ice out.
    • mbeyer
      what do they look like this spring?
    • SkunkedAgain
      I might have missed a guess, but here are the ones that I noted:   JerkinLips – March 27th, then April 7th Brianf. – March 28th Bobberwatcher – April…. MikeG3Boat – April 10th SkunkedAgain – early April, then April 21st   Definitely a tough year for guesses, as it seemed to be a no-brainer early ice out. Then it got cold and snowed again.
    • mbeyer
      MN DNR posted April 13 as Ice out date for Vermilion
    • Brianf.
      ^^^45 in the morning and 47 in the evening
    • CigarGuy
      👍. What was the water temp in Black Bay? Thanks....
    • Brianf.
      No, that wasn't me.  I drive a 621 Ranger. 
    • CigarGuy
      So, that was you in the camo lund? I'm bummed, I have to head back to the cities tomorrow for a few days, then back up for at least a few weeks. Got the dock in and fired up to get out chasing some crappies till opener!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Lots of ice on the main basin, but it is definitely deteriorating.  Some anglers have been fishing the open water at the mouth of the Rainy River in front of the Lighthouse Gap.  The rest of the basin is still iced over. Pike enthusiasts caught some big pike earlier last week tip up fishing in pre-spawn areas adjacent to traditional spawning areas.  8 - 14' of water using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring has been the ticket.  Ice fishing for all practical purposes is done for the year. The focus for the basin moving forward will be pike transitioning into back bays to spawn,  This is open water fishing and an opportunity available as the pike season is open year round on Lake of the Woods. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. With both the ice fishing and spring fishing on the Rainy River being so good, many are looking forward to the MN Fishing Opener on Saturday, May 11th.  It should be epic. On the Rainy River...  An absolutely incredible week of walleye and sturgeon fishing on the Rain Rainy River.     Walleye anglers, as a rule, caught good numbers of fish and lots of big fish.  This spring was one for the books.   To follow that up, the sturgeon season is currently underway and although every day can be different, many boats have caught 30 - 40 sturgeon in a day!  We have heard of fish measuring into the low 70 inch range.  Lots in the 60 - 70 inch range as well.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  Open water is continuing to expand in areas with current.  The sight of open water simply is wetting the pallet of those eager for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th.   A few locals were on the ice this week, targeting pike.  Some big slimers were iced along with some muskies as well.  If you like fishing for predators, LOW is healthy!  
    • Brianf.
      Early bird gets the worm some say...   I have it on good authority that this very special angler caught no walleyes or muskies and that any panfish caught were released unharmed.        

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.