• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New Lawnmower

mnvikingsfreak

Question

I'm looking into getting a new lawnmower a 3 in 1 walk behind self propelled model could I get some advice on a good lawnmower in the $200-$300 dollar range? or some lawnmowers to stay away from?

thanks!

21 answers to this question

It's hard to go wrong with a Lawnboy. Mine is a Gold Series model which I've been using for 10+ years. It's just like a Timex watch. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking! grin.gif 1DIRTBALL wink.gif

I saw my neighbor using a John Deere walk behind that was pretty nice. The thing that I liked about it was when you let go of the bar the blade stopped but the motor kept running unlike some of the others that I have owned where you let go of the bar and the engine stops. That was pretty cool. I have no idea what they cost but I am pretty sure they are not cheap.

I have a Craftsman electric start, self propelled and it has been a very good mower. Change oil, air filter and plugs and it just keeps going.

I have had some bad craftsmen mowers, but I bought another, have had good luck with this one, honda engine, nice and quiet, and doesnt viberate.

I love the Toro personal pase I have. Goes as fast as you walk or slows down with you. My Dad's had one for 12 years and is still awesome. Can't go bad with the tacumson motor.

I used to think like one of the previous posters that you can't go wrong with a Lawnboy, but boy has their quality seemed to go in the tank lately. We have one we bought about 4 years ago and its been nothing but junk since the day we bought it. Know another guy with one 2 years old that's just as bad. Before these two mowers, I would have said Lawnboy in a minute. I have a John Deere at home too that was the better half's, but I think I'm blowing up the motor right now. Mowed with it last time and it made a HORRIBLE noise like it was throwing a rod. Shut it down and couldn't find anything externally wrong so I don't know yet but it wasn't good...

I've heard great things about Honda's if you don't mind going Japanese...

how is briggs&stratton vs honda? im looking into maybe a craftsman mower and they have both types of engines

the first one i bought had a briggs, i used it for a month, it viberated my hands so bad, i brought it back and went with the honda, much better.

My 1990 Craftsman front whell drive is still going strong. Other than normal maintenance, I had to replace the drive wheels. It's been reduced to a trim mower since I got a rider (Craftsman) 8-9 years ago. Before that it would run about 2 1/2 hours each time I cut my lawn.

My mother and I have both had Craftsman with Briggs and Sratton 6.5 hp for the past 4 years and have had no problems.

I'm a Honda man now. A low end model is probably at the high end of your price range. After running a Honda lawnmower and snowblower, everything will be Honda for me. Lawnmower always starts on the first pull, snowblower may take 2-3 pulls.

Heck - since I bought a Honda mower, my fiance' does most of the mowing. That's worth the price of the mower right there! She can start it easily, and it works well for her. If I still had my old mower, I would still be doing the mowing grin.gif

I saw on some models they have an electric start does it work pretty good?

The craftsman mower I bought with the honda engine is awsome. Starts first pull everytime. No need for electric start, by the time the pull cord is halfway out its running. My 9 yr old can pull start it by him self. Mine was in the $500 range.

Quote:

I love the
Toro personal pace
I have. Goes as fast as you walk or slows down with you. My Dad's had one for 12 years and is still awesome. Can't go bad with the tacumson motor.

I still use my 1982 Lawnboy for detailing where the tractor can't go (under tree's, ect...) but, a thread like this, was started at another site I go to, and a lot of people seemed to be VERY happy with that mower.

I know you said 2to3 hun. but I say add a couple more hun. and go with the Honda.(you won't be disapointed!)c63

I saw a few reconditioned Honda's at the Shakopee HD last night for $300. They looked brand new to me.

thanks everyone I think im going to go with a craftsman mower with a honda it's a little more than I want to spend but honda's last forever

Toro personal pace is a great mower. I've had mine for 4 years and still starts on 1st pull and runs like the day I bought it. Made in Minnesota I think too. Never been a Craftsman fan, except for their hand tools, but the Honda engine in them now I'm sure is a plus.