• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

a sad day is on the way

Dahitman44

We found out about 4 weeks ago thaqt our beloved lab, Boomer, and 11-year-old heart-breaker has a large tumor on his spleen.

I did some research and this is what I have found out.

Hemangiosarcoma

A form of cancer that originates in the endothelium, which is the lining of blood vessels and spleen. These tumors are highly malignant and can be found almost anywhere in the body. The spleen, pericardium and heart are prone to be affected.

These tumors are most common in medium-sized or large breeds of middle aged or older dogs but can occur in any breed, including cross-breeds. German shepherds are reported to be more susceptible to this form of cancer than most dog breeds. The Golden Retriever also seems to have a higher than normal incidence.

Quite often there is little warning of the presence of these tumors before severe clinical signs are seen. An estimate of the average time from discovery of the tumor until death occurs in affected dogs is six to eight weeks.

The most common initial symptoms include visible bleeding, usually in the form of nosebleeds, and signs associated with blood loss, such as weakness, tiring easily, paleness to the mucous membranes of the mouth and eyes, increased respiratory rates, and abdominal swelling. In some cases, dogs just suddenly die with no clinical signs observed at all.

If a tumor in the spleen is found when it is small, it may be possible to remove the spleen or remove tumors found near the heart in order to prolong the dog's life. However, most often these tumors have spread by the time they are identified. According to published papers, the average survival time in dogs with Hemangiosarcoma is only three to four months.

We had Boomer before our twin boys were born and was basically our first-born child. He was a big part of our family and was my personal therapist working long hours into the night just listening to my problems and licking my face.

It will be a tough day when we have to put him down -- doesw anyone have any experience with this?

Any words of wisdom or advice?

We have a 1.5 year-old named copper that I have posted about before, but he will never take the place of Boomer, and I don;t think he should. He is a great dog as well, but Boomer and I have "history" and I am sure many of you dog lovers understand.

Any thoughts or words would be a great help.

Thanks

Hit

Sorry to hear, I had to put my basset down last fall after 14 years. It was one of the toughest things to do. I opted to stay with mine while the vet put her down, was tough to do at the time, but looking back I am glad I did it. We got her ashes back and waited until this spring and buried them in the back yard under a nice stepping stone. It helped for my daughter to help to bury the ashes. Wish I could offer better advice. One thing that was nice this spring was getting a new britt pup at the end of March. He sure helped fill a void left from my old dog. Will never replace her, but he sure can make me laugh. Best wishes to you Hit, Sorry to hear you have to go thru it.

Sorry to hear of the impending loss!

Spend the next few weeks showering him with love. Take some photos of him while he is still doing well. Just full on spoil him. When he starts to decline, don't make the common mistake to prolong it. It only causes him to go through additional undo pain, when the end result will be the same a few days later.

The last couple dogs I put down, I did so outside at the vet's office. I didn't want them to have the view of a vet's examination room to be the last thing they see. We sat outside and when we were ready the vet put them down. One dog was not doing so well and we just sat on the tailgate of the truck in the warm September sun... I'd look for a nice shade tree, have him lay on your lap and talk to him as he goes on to his 'new hunting grounds'.

Enjoy the moments you have left, and always remember the moments you spent with him through your time together!

Good Luck!

Ken

Sorry to hear, here's my advice.........

Cherish every moment you can right now. Don't think about the inevitable right now, live in the here and now and make every day spent a special one for Boomer. Trust me on this, just got word on Sat AM that my Lab had acute kidney failure due to Lymes, and she left us yesterday on her own terms. My other Lab had a tumor removed this winter and she's doing well.

Sounds like you have a few months, just have fun with Boomer and treat him like a King. The unfortunate details are unavoidable, so don't stew over them and beat yourself up over it now. Include Copper in the fun times too, as he will learn to accept his new role as the head dog of the house. Sounds like he's got big shoes to fill, but it sounds like he's learning from the best in Boomer.

Give him an extra "Ear Tussle" from me...........

Chris

(Contact Us Please) Ken that was the saddest thing I've read in a while. Its tough to contemplate and deal with the inevitable, but we know its bound to happen. I totally agree that you should spoil the heck out of him and get as many pics as possible. It will be bittersweet, but you'll get some extra special moments.

Sorry to hear about Boomer. Take care Hit

Thanks for the kind thoughts. You guys are making me cry.

It will be the hardest thing I have had to do in my 37 years of life.

I am lucky to have not lost my parents so I have not experienced that loss.

He has been getting a lot of ice cream cones lately. I wanted to bring him to the farm -- his fav. place to go, but it will be too tough on him. I regret that. He breaths very hard, just from being in the back yard for a while.

If you guys knew how many hours I spent laying with him, and telling him my troubles ...

well, I am tearing up again.

Thanks again for the thoughts.

Anymore thoughts would be great.

Hit.

Hit,

I am really sorry to hear about Boomer. I know it will be extremely difficult. At least you will be able to lay with Copper and share your memories of Boomer with him. Good luck and I feel for you.

Anyone who has a dog can share and understand what you are going through. You do have the advantage of knowing when it is going to happen rather then have it happen suddenly to you. I echo everyone else in taking pictures and sharing time.You will find a way to remember him. My on going stories about Lake Iwanttobethere I write about two dogs, Lady and Sadie they both have been gone for many years but this way I still keep them alive. Some people understand that bond that you build with your dog. Mostly other dog owners who have gone through what you are. I will warn you, when the time comes it will be one of the hardest things you will ever do, but it will be the right thing. My last piece of advice is enjoy your time with him. Pamper him but let him still live as best as he can.

GF -- Thanks. He was/is a GREAT dog. The best. It will be tough.

Sorry to see that you moved out of the area. Enjoy your new spot in the cities.

Hit

You guys are helping a lot.

I am one of those guys that will cry during sad movies and feel really bad for other people when things happen to them I was able to pass on my Empathetic Gene/Curse to one of my twin boys. He is having a very tough time with it. The twins are 7 years old.

I was tearing up too. I was at work when I read Ken's post. Kinda hard to explain at work, but it really is tough circumstances. We had to put our dog down when I was 18. I wasn't able to be there when they did it but I still had a hard time with it.

Dahitman44, Man what a tough time! My Avator is my beloved best buddy Buster that I just lost in February so I can totally relate buddy. All the guys here in the dog forum are great and we all have our pals so we probably relate to this much more than most people. There isn't anything I can say that will make it better, it will hurt. I cried like a baby when Buster left me and I'm not a bit ashamed to admit that. The good ones are just like a family member.

Spend as much time with him as you can and like was mentioned take lots of pics.

Good luck Dude! frown.gif

Thanks a lot guys. You have been very helpful and supportive.

I sat with Boomer last night, like I have just about every night for the past three weeks. I just hang with him, snuggle up to him or rub under his chin.

He does look sad and that makes it harder. I also noticed that he is REALLY losing muscle tone.

Thanks again.

Just remember when the time comes for the last ride that you're doing him a favor and putting him out of his misery. Don't prolong it too long so he suffers.

My first dog died suddenly at the age of nine, I noticed that he wasn't feeling good, knew there was a problem when he wouldn't chase a dummy, was going to take him to the vet the next day and found him dead in his dog house the next day.

My second dog I had to put down at the age of 12 becasue of a mammary tumor, it was large and ugly and pussy and I could see she was in serious discomfort. I took the day off, I grilled up two pounds of burger, lots of treats all the way around, I went and dug the hole - its in a nice spot overlooking some nice pheasant ground, then we went to the vets and the vet came out and gave her the shot on the tailgate, I didn't want to carry a dead dog out.

Now I'm looking at my two-gimpy legged 11 year old lab and not looking forward to the day.

Good luck.

Hi Hit...

I'm so sorry to hear of Boomer's condition. Even having been through this before, I'm still at a loss for words... I lost my english setter Rosie quite some time ago and still well up with tears when she comes to mind. You may have seen this before, but I think it's fitting... Especially the last few lines...

A DOGS PRAYER

Treat me kindly my beloved master...for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of mine....Do not break my spirit with a stick...for though I should lick your hand between the blows...your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do...Speak to me often...for your voice is the world's sweetest music...as you know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear...When it is cold and wet...please take me inside...for I am now a domesticated animal...no longer used to bitter elements...And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth....Though you had no home....I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land...for you are my god and I am your devoted worshipper...Keep my pan filled with fresh water ...for although I should not reproach you were it dry...I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst...Feed me clean food...that I may stay well...to romp and play and do your bidding...to walk by your side...and stay ready. Willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger....And....My beloved master...should the great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight....do not turn me away from you....Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest....and I will leave you knowing with the last breath i drew...my fate was ever safest in your hands.

Also, go get a copy of the book "Blessing the Bridge" by Rita M. Reynolds. Trust me.... It helps...

I wish you, yours, and Boomer.... All the best!!! Hang in there buddy.

Moose --

Wow I have never read that. What a way to say it all and have a guy cry. Thanks that was really neat.

Hit.

I just wanted to say thanks to all that have been supportive during this tough time for my family. The tough times are now over.

Boomer, our 11.5 year old yellow lab, (AKA "Boomie") died this morning at 6:35 am in my arms.

Boomer was one of the family -- our first born, if you will. It will be very difficult to be without Boomer, but we do have 16 month old Copper.

Thanks again to all --

Hitman

Dahitman,

I am so sorry to hear that. Myself and many others on here know how you are feeling right now. frown.gif Keep the memories and enjoy. I feel for ya man frown.gif Copper will be helpful through this. Best wishes,

"hooks"

sad to here.

i know how you feel.

i still remember the day my 15 1/2 golden died.

she was 2 monthes old when i was born and lived a long great life. Some of the best times i had in my life was growing up with her.

I hope boomer and her have a good ol time chasing those darn rabbits.

Very sad to hear...I certainly feel the pain and grief you are experiencing. I had both of the labs that I grew up with pass in my arms as well. Just typing this is making me well-up with tears. Every now and then I come accross a picture of when they were pups and it makes me smile and then cry. What a sad thing when our "children" pass.

Both of them are burried in my parents woods behind the house, marked with a giant cross made out of birch. I walk there every time I am home. Did you do anything like this hitmann?

The grief will pass and Copper will help to ease some of that pain. God bless.

Sorry to here of your loss, my sincere condolences. I went through the same thing about a year ago, I know your pain. Copper will be a big help.

Sorry for your loss Hitman. We Buried our last dogs ashes in the back yard by a Lilac tree. The other night our brit put went up and laid down by the stepping stone like he knew what it was. Still miss Sam, but the new pup can always bring a smile to my face. Hopefully copper can do the same for you. smile.gif

Thanks so much you guys. I have spoken to some of you over the phone during the day today and I thank you very much -- every little bit helps.

A Neighbor friend wrote this ...

So sorry to hear about Boomer, he was a great dog, friend, therapist and everything to you. When I think of a man and his best friend that is truly you and boomer. He had a good life. Hang in there and let us know if there is anything you need.

A Guy I work with wrote this ... He is a poet and writer.

I'm sorry to hear about Boomer's death. I can't imagine a member of the

family dying in my arms. I hope everyone is able to handle this as his

life is remembered and celebrated.

In The Old House

for Ozzie a German Shepherd

In the morning

Whistling through your nose

You ran in new snow

And when you came inside

With all this startling winter

It melted in the old house where you slept

In the afternoon

You panted under the reasonably eternal sun

Swam barking in the lake

Got caught in a howling thunderstorm

And slept with us

In the cool-dry daydreams of the old house

In the evening

I kissed and held your death

Your beautiful death in the old house

At night

I try to sleep after tears

Like a predictable storm

Which takes me away

The snow tries to get into the old house

The wind tries to get into the old house

I turn on my single pillow

The only thing that enters the old house

Now

Is the whistle of the train like a holy chant

And you are gone

Hang in there,

Jim

Thanks again to all.

Hit

Tough day for you Dahitman. Hopefully Boomer and my Buster can meet up somewhere on the other side and chase Pheasants together!!!

I know he is chasing birds and eating Ice Cream cones. No question about it.

He is also opening the fridge and taking out a beer for my grandfather -- I taught him that too. Very talented pupper. wink.gif

I"m also sorry for your loss. As you know I went through and very bad situation last March with my dog Thor.

I found that looking at past pics of his life is very healing. You'll see how great his life was and how he appreciated you and your family.

Sorry to hear that its finally come to an end, but I hope the last couple weeks were filled with fun and laughs. One of the best ways to deal with grief is to reach out and share with others. The days will get easier and brighter and Copper will help make it better. Best wishes in your time of grief and good luck with the great times ahead with another great dog.

I'm sorry that you lost your buddy. It's been 6 months since I had to put mine down, and I still think of him. One thing that helped me was I took some of his ashes and put them in a waterproof match container and sealed it. My friend continues to be with me in the field. Also keep a picture in your wallet, it helps.

God speed Boomer