• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Well I got out on the lake a bit before 5am today. Nice out at that time of the morning.

Anyhow I managed 3 walleyes between 16" and 27" and 1 laker and a Coho. The walleyes all are still hitting the glow perch Renosky and the Coho and Laker came off a orange headed gold bodied Reefrunner.

Speaking of Reefrunners they are now $3.99 at Fishermans Corner. Thats at least $2 cheaper than anyone else.

I didnt pay much attention to water temps but there were a few hoppers still around. Even with all of them on top I didnt see any fish coming up for them.

Should be that time of year where the Browns and Steelies start heading up the rivers. Right Ripstick? wink.gif

Hopefully I can get out in the AM again Viking.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• Wade Joseph

• ripstick

• ReelTimes

Dave thanks for the invite, I wish I could get out with ya guys in the am but my wife so kindly reminded me that our daughter is dancing at the dragon boat festival tomorrow. I'm free tomorrow evening and Sunday and hope to get out. I'll get in touch with you and Steve for some reports.

Steve, would it be alright if we park at you house tomorrow so we can walk over to barkers for the festival? Thanks

No problem just park in front on the opposite side or call me and we can make sure you get the "Priority VIP" parking. wink.gif

Got out sat with loonasea ansd picked up soom lakers sure was a good day to be out.

Fishing was slow on the SS, only managed 1 coho Friday, and 1 Saturday. Fished about 3 hours each day. Lots of dead grasshopper slicks.

Went out with my brother sunday morning on the south shore for the first time. We were surprised to see no other boats...So how far from superior entry is the action (usually)? We had surface temps around 61 closer in and down to 58 6 miles down the shore, but we were shut out. Any suggestions for next time?

We put in at Split Rock and temps were 55-56 ,,,most of our fish came from 45-65 feet down and all were lakers no salmon

We did see a few boats out of Knife River so that might be a good starting point

With the low water levels in the creeks and streams I dont know where the fish are going to spawn ,,,it willl be an interesting fall

Randoid

Thanks for the report. Boats been out of the water past several weeks while I completed some work on it, so can't wait to get out and do some fishin. Hope to get out quite a bit the next 5-6 days, some local, some north. Will try to post some reports as well

I decided not to head out today with this wind but going to try again tomorrow to get out. Anyone else going to be out on the big lake on Labor Day.

Im heading out in the AM....not sure if I should go to SB or fish the south shore. If I am fishing the south shore, I'll see you fellas at Loonsfoot.

heres monday LSZ143>145-030330-

/O.ROU.KDLH.MA.F.0000.000000T0000Z-000000T0000Z/

SILVER BAY HARBOR TO TWO HARBORS MN-TWO HARBORS TO DULUTH MN-

DULUTH MN TO PORT WING WI-

ghood luck on ss

349 PM CDT SUN SEP 2 2007

.TONIGHT...NW WIND AROUND 15 KT EARLY...DECREASING 5 TO 10 KT.

MOSTLY CLEAR. WAVES 2 TO 4 FT...SUBSIDING TO LESS THAN 2 FT LATE.

.MONDAY...N WIND AROUND 5 KT BECOMING NE 5 TO 10 KT IN THE

AFTERNOON. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS IN THE AFTERNOON.

WAVES 2 FT OR LESS.

.MONDAY NIGHT...E WIND 10 TO 15 KT. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND

THUNDERSTORMS. WAVES 1 TO 3 FT.

.TUESDAY...E WIND 10 TO 15 KT. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS

IN THE MORNING. WAVES 1 TO 3 FT BUILDING TO 2 TO 4 FT IN THE

AFTERNOON.

Launched out of Two Harbors yesterday and fished 3p-6p. Went 5/6. All lakers. Fished 110-130 feet. 3 of fish came on SWRs close to or on bottom. The other 2 were caught suspended at 75 and 85 on the rigger. Watermelon glow was hot, accounting for 3. Also monkey puke and a blue/silver finlander. WIth fish down so deep, almost impossible to catch-release this time of year, unless some of you have some tips on this.

N L and I got out on the south shore today. Walleyes and walleyes. Lost more than we landed.Need a 30 ft net. A few came in with a few lakers and a couple steels.

Ya if we would have caught all we hooked we would have been off the lake by 9am.

Oh well 8 for 12 or 14 aint to bad.

Gary go buy every one of those Renosky's you can find. They are one HOT stick lately.

Im glad we got off the lake when we did. Noonish.

It got windy in a hurry and by 3pm it was nasty, even in the bay.

Outdoorran it was nice to see you guys and glad you got fish.

Wade, better luck next time. Time to buy yourself some offshore boards and catch the ones you spook off away from the boat.

I am not sure boars are the answer when you alone as I was. I had 6 hook ups, landed 2 shorts, 1 keeper and lost 3 before they reached the boat. Landed one nice eater laker before I headed in. The question of the day was, how do you get the stick baits down that deep pulling them behind boards? I had cranks to get down anywhere from 8-21 ft but could not get any sticks I had in the color you suggested down without weight.

Wade a Bomber Long A back 120' will get ya down around 8'. In the areas we were fishing we didnt need it any deeper than that.

If you want to get shallow running sticks down deeper just add a snap weight or you can run some lead core. Some guys use the inline chain weights as well.

Believe me I run my offshores when Im alone and they are worth every cent you pay for them. Especially when you are running in water less than 20' deep or when the fish are up top you will spook them away from the boat and you wont catch them just long lining.

Im not a fan of a trolling mast and boards set up when alone though if thats what you were thinking. Thats a 2 man job on a nice day like yesterday and when its nasty I sure dont want to be alone running the boat and then trying to hang releases.

I have also been amazed how far down some of the deep divers will go. I have hit bottom a number of times in 15-20 feet of water, depending upon boat speed, etc.

Steve, what do you mean "offshores"? and Reeltimes, what is a SWR? (sorry if these are stupid questions).

Wade, SWR refers to secret weapon rig. Not my name...just what they call them. Not sure who named it. Refers to running leadcore on a downrigger. The leadcore will carry the lure well below the cannonball,allowing for a more stealth technique. It is common to run 2-3 colors, which probably drops the lures 10-12 feet below the ball and 110-140 feet behind the ball with a 50 foot mono leader. I don't have alot of experience with it but have to say that it has been very succesful for me when I have used it this summer. It is popular on Lake Michigan. Bill

Wade Offshores are a inline board. Probably the best and most popular inline trolling board. Very popular with the walleye crew. Buy the board with the standard flag not the tattle tale flags. I will help you make your own for about a tenth of the cost. These boards are very nice and track tru. You can run snap weights, leadcore etc. on them. Other inline boards just wont let ya do so and still track true or not dive into waves.

As explaned above the SWR is a leadcore rig. I think its 3 colors of lead. This will get your lure about 1o-15' down past its dive curve. Depending a lot on speed and line used. Leadcore is very speed sensitive. The faster you go the more it will rise and the slower the more it will drop.

Im still very new to it. Real advantage is getting smaller shallow divers and spoons down where they normally wont go.

AS far as deep diving cranks. I can get the Taildancers and deep diving reefrunners down to 25' with power pro in 10# test strength. I think its 3# diameter. At times I can get the taildancers to 28'.

I will say that most of the time for walleyes on the SS a guy dont need anything but offshore boards, snap weights and bombers or other like sticks like Renosky's or Brads. Renosky's have been hot, just ask Ripstick, but good luck finding any because I have the last few that were in the Northland. wink.gif

Ripstick and I are trying to get a bunch more but its proving to be a difficult task.

Hope this helps ya out. Inline boards have their disadvantages but seem to do a better job of helping get a good hookset on fish. Seems to me I lose more fish on a mast system than with offshores. I think its because you always have pressure on the fish. With a mast system they get slack line for a bit after they hit.

Northlander, you may be in luck with the renosky plugs. They are on clearance in my neck of the woods if you are heading this way anytime soon. You could e-mail me if you want and I could pick some up and ship them up to you if they are the right color/style you are looking for.

Tunrevir~

Ain't this place GREAT?! Ask and ye shall recieve. Thanks for the edumacation fellas. Now, where do I find those offshore boards? Gander or MG?

Northlander, you mentioned making your own boards. We are in the process of setting up a trolling boat, and starting out with some less expensive equipment would ease the sting some.

Care to expand on the process of making them, or maybe I misunderstood.

Thanks

Sparetime

Sparetime, I think NL is talking about buying the boards and then making the tattle tail system that lowers the flag when a fish hits. I've used his and they work slick, plus you save a bunch. If your thinking about going to a mast set up them boards are easy to make.

Wade, I've tried a bunch of different in line boards and I will second the off shore ones are the best with church boards a close second. You can find off shore boards just about anywhere. Even with the mast set up I still use my little boards sometimes.

Sparetime just go to Gander MT. or anyplace else that sells the tattle tale flag kits and look at what parts all come in the kit. Then go find a place that sells inline spinner shafts (Fishermans Corner) and then Menards will have the flags, springs, plastic washers etc. that you will need. So easy even a Northlander can do it. grin.gif