• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Horseshoe Chain

Going to be heading up there on Wednesday Morning, just wanted to know how the water level has been, and if there has been any crazy changes in the lake since last year. I have not been on the water here since last year, so want to check on how the lake/river is doing?

bass water levels are down a bit. be very careful doing the river thing. Bass bite is very much still normal. Catch them with a little of everything. We got some BADLY need rain so there might be some run off before the weekend could really muddy the waters. Long was starting to clear up this past weekend pretty good but who knows now.

Swabby

So the river is really down that you cant run it like years past?

I was up there a few days ago, and i can tell that the water level has dropped alot since the start of the year. Found alot of fish, just nothing really big.

I am camping on Long Lake for the first time from July 27-29 and I have never been on in before. What should I be looking for? Bass, walleye, panfish, Catfish? I would be open to anything. I am assuming that it might be a tough time to fish, any info would be great, thanks.

The July heat will be in full swing. Bass will be in the weeds and on the docks. Cats will hit anything that moves (even speed trolling). The eyes well that can be hit or miss but if you find one you will usually find a couple. Where will you be on Long? Cozy Corners, Your Haven or Browns???

Have a good time there.

Swabby

Have never fished the chain and want to but was wondering what was mostly in there for bass, smallmouth or largemouth? Was also wondering if rocks or stumps would be a problem in these lakes for boating.

Thanks for any help.

make sure you get a lake map... Yes rock and stumps can be a problem with you boat, so make sure you have a good map... There is mostly largemouth but there is some smallmouth!!! Good luck

It is a fun place to fish. There is so many places that oyu can go and get fish. Let Central said, dont forget the lake map. And if you go down the river, stay in the middle. Good Luck

Thanks for all of the info. We are staying at the El Rancho Manana, never been there before. My son plays for the Dundas Dukes baseball team and they are playing Cold Spring the 27th, so we decided to make a weekend of it. Swabby, thanks for the info. You say that the cat's will hit anything, what would you start with to get them? Thanks again for all the help, it should be a fun weekend.

Coach are you on the Horseshoe Chain or Long Lake North of Richmond. If on the Chain last weekend the cats hit crankbaits trolled at 3.2 mph, leeches, crawlers, and spinnerbaits. If it the Long North of Richmond I don't have any info for you. Sorry I didn't think of the other Long Lakes in Stearns County.

Swabby

I have been on this chain for a long time, and i just cant get over the different colors of water for ither lake. Its crazy.

After further review, the campgrounds, El Rancho Manana, showed that it is on Long Lake just outside of Richmond, so when I looked at the map, I thought it was the Long lake on the chain. I find out that there is a 160 acre lake just north of Richmond that is also called Long lake, just east of Big Fish lake. Sorry for the confusion, first time in the area. I will still be trying the chain for bass and cats. Does anyone know about Big Fish Lake? And also, thanks again for all of the info that all of you have given. Again, sorry for the mixup.

i lived on long lake for 4 years. If you are going to fish it on the weekend do it early in the morning or late at night. El rancho produces way to much boat traffic during the day. There are small sunnies and if you can find them nice crappies. Fish the weedlines for bass. som very nice bass in the lake. Troll in about 13 feet for northerns. lot of smaller northerns. THere are some very large northerns but hard to come by. In the deeper water.

If you happen upon a walleye it will be big but it was planted. very very rare

big fish has good walleyes but tough to find. You can find some nice sunnies and crappies also. Alot of northerns also

good luck you cant really miss on the chain.

• 2 weeks later...

hey bassnspear, been a long time since talking to you during hardwater season. seen you spend a lot of time on the chain. i grew up in richmond, now live in cold spring. cant tell you much about it as most my fishing expertise is either new london/ talmoon areas. to bad the old river roost isnt there,we could meet for a cola.

Whats going on man??

I have been spending some time out there. Trying to find some bigger fish. Can caught fish all day long, just cant get big fish.

We will get together soon. Thinking of having a hardwater outing this winter.

that hardwater outing sounds cool to me. if you ever get the thought of fishing out by new london give me a holler. we have a permanent campsite on old wagon campground/long lake right off hwy 23. check my bio or let me know thru this site. later.

Alright man. Stay in touch with me and we will get together during the hardwater season.

• 2 weeks later...

hows the chain been now days. I have heard the fishing is hard up there right now.

It sure has been quiet on here lately. Has anyone seen or heard from Icehawk lately? I bet he's been too busy "workin' the streets"! grin.gif