• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

All Star Snubs-------

zamboni

First off- I am not going to get into another urinating match over baseball, so don't start. But I am really disappointed in MLB appointing David Ortiz the starting 1st base role over Morneau and even the likes of Youkilis. I think they shouldn't have left Ortiz off the roster, but as a reserve. Not worthy of a starting 1st basemen nod. Another one, I might sound like a homer, and I know how packed the American League OF talent pool is, but I truly believe Cuddyer should have been given a reserve role. Cuddyer wasn't voted in the top 15 by the fans, apparently being a shoo-in for 100+ RBIS and having the best arm in the OF in the Majors doesn't mean much. Mauer finished 3rd in the fan ballots- but the 5th place guy in the fan balloting, Victor Martinez got the nod instead. I do think Martinez deserves to go- the Indians are probably the best overall team the Majors this season. Posada going is getting old, I understand he is on a tear hitting this season, but what about Johjima? Didn't even make the top 6 fan ballots, but hitting very well this year.

It's a popularity contest....they want to draw fans. Ortiz must have got voted a starter because of his stellar defense.

Thats what it is. If you look, there are alot of other guys out there that should be on the team that are not. Reason for it, becuase there not the jeter's, ortiz's... Its a weird voting, but at least is by the fans. Maybe they shouldn't do it a year by the fans, and see what happens.

Its all a load of crap . Like Bert being passed over year after year . They can take the HOF and the All Star game and shove em . As far as Cuddy goes - I don't know what it is but people don't seem to like him . My Bro-In Law hates him and can't even put his finger on why . And you know what , being a Homer is cool with me - Cause I'm one too . Touch em' all Zamboni !

Thanks Musky- another OF I failed to mention is Sosa. His numbers on a truly horrible team this season are stellar- but I truly believe his name getting dragged through the mud a couple years ago with the steroid talk has really hurt his reputation as a ballplayer.

I don't like how every team gets at least one all star. The winner of the game gets home field for the world series so I better have my best guys out there. Like the one year when the Royals had Mark Redman out there with something like a 5.59 era. All star games should be voted on by players and managers and not the fans. There are to many fans who fill out the ballot and don't know who half of the guys are so they promptly pick the most popular player they can find. I agree with Sosa being a snub. Orlando Cabrera should have gone instead of Michael Young.

Heres my .02. The fans should get to vote for one player in the A.L. and one in the N.L. and have the balloting start the day after this years all star game and go up until july 1st next year tally the ballots and the player from each league with highest total of votes is in selected by the fans. Then each all star team is made up 2 or 3 players at each position and 5 pitchers based on their stats from the first day after the all star game this year through july 1st next year. Also make it that its not mandatory for each team to be represented.

All star voting is a joke, its all a popularity contest. A-Rod and Jeter were literally more than a million votes ahead of second place in their respective positions. Were their performances thus far good enough to merit that kind of voting? It depends on who you talk to. Every Yankee fan, and there are a lot of them, will tell you yes. A-Rod has been having a great year and I don't know Jeter's stats so I can't say. The point is, big names like Ortiz from big markets will always win.

I couldn't care less about who goes and who doesn't. I get to watch my favorite players every night on FSN. I don't need to feel validated by having my guys going to the All Star game. I understand homer's wanting more Twins to go, thats normal, and I'm a huge homer myself. But it might as well be the homecoming contest in high school as far as I'm concerned.

I am glad Morneau is going, simply because I hope he is in the home run derby. I really want to see him crush some into the bay. grin.gif

Definitely disappointed about Morneau for sure.

Mauer has been hurt so I can see him not getting picked.

As much as I like what Cuddys doing for us I don't feel cheated by him not making it.

Quote:

Definitely disappointed about Morneau for sure.

Mauer has been hurt so I can see him not getting picked.

As much as I like what Cuddys doing for us I don't feel cheated by him not making it.

My feelings exactly. Morneau got dissed. I like Cuddy, but he doesn't quite make the top half dozen OFs. Only guy in there that really gets my undies in a bunch is Ortiz. I do understand that he should maybe he should be voted in due to his monster HR production and clutch hitting. Oh wait, that was last year. Mauer makes it easy using past stats. mad.gif

IMO, it's gonna be a boring game to listen to with all the yak-yak-yak about Bonds. Man, can't he fall short someway?