• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

F150 Motor size

Barony

Question

Looking at upgrading from my Dakota to a F150 and have a question about motor size. I see the 2005s have either a 4.6 or a 5.4 generally, and am wondering if the 4.6 is undersized for this truck. I own a 16 ft. Lund, but other than that, don't do a lot of pulling.

Any advice is appreciated.

22 answers to this question

Buy the 5.4, more power, and not much more cost, you wont be sorry if you had more power, only if not enough!

I would beg to differ. I have a 97 F150 with the 4.6L and this thing has plenty of power to pull a 16' boat. Between the 4.6L and the 5.4L there was only a 10 hp difference that I know of. The torgue wasn't that different either, but that was on the 97's. We even pull our 27' camper behind it no problem. So if you had to, 4.6L would do the job for ya.

here is the info I have on the 2 engines,

4.6 hp = 215 at 4450rpm - torque = 290 at 3250rpm

5.4 hp = 260 at 4500rpm - torque = 350 at 2500rpm

seems like a big difference to me!

I should note these are 2000/2001 model yr

Ok I dont know how the email part got in there, I will do some checking and get the 05 specs, so we are comparing apples to apples!

I've had a 4.6, it will handle pulling your Lund with no problem but if I was faced with a decision between the 4.6 and the 5.4 and there wasn't much $$$ difference, I would go bigger.

Another vote for 5.4, bigger is better. If you have enough power you can pull in OD, saves a lot of MPG.

I have the 4.6 in a 2005 and tow a 17 crestliner and I can hardly tell it is back there. My son has a 17 foot lund Tyee and he a 4.6 in a 2004 and he has no complaints. My truck is rated to tow close to 8000 pounds and I think the 5.4 is rate to a bit over 9000 pounds. If you are towing something really big then the 5.4 would come in handy especially if there are some large steep hills.

I just got back from a Canada trip. We pulled a 20' Skeeter walleye boat with a 225 four stoke. THe 5.4 did a great job. My buddy said he had a 4.6 in his previous truck and was very happy he upgraded to the 5.4 on this rig.

Is the mileage better w/ the 4.6 or is about a horse apiece?

Get the 5.4L. I had a 4.6L F150 and I could really tell a difference when pulling my boat with my new 5.4L. The 4.6L wanted to downshift every little hill you went over. Gas mileage sucks on either one so that doesn't matter.

I'm currently driving a Dodge, so I have no where but up to go for gas mileage. wink.gif

I have a 4.6 and get upto 19 mpg on the road non-towing and about 15 to 16 towing my boat, did get 17 mpg towing the boat on one trip.

I have a 97 F-150 with the 4.6 and it was fine for my 14' boat but now that I have a 17' I wish I had the 5.4. I pulled my boat with my father in laws 5.4 and its a big difference. Mileage was actually better pulling the boat with his 5.4 than it was with my 4.6. My 4.6 really works hard going up inclines and hills. I drive in Duluth a lot and thats all there is is hills.

I will be going 5.4 next truck.

17 foot sylvan and a 2004 F150 5.4. Can't pull my boat in overdrive. Shifts down on most hills and all hills if pulling against the wind. Same with my buddies 5.3 chevy. Now when my dad uses his F250 PowerStroke you can't tell it's back there.

My F-150 is a 5.4... I did a lot of test driving around of different trucks... In some cases dealers or private seller let me take the vehicle for half a day and pull my boat with it...

And I can tell you, the difference between the 5.4 and 4.6, while not that much when you're just driving around... Is a big difference all the times when you want it.

Hills... Passing while towing... Or taking a box load of wood on a camping trip with the boat behind you... The 4.6, while it can "Get the job done" doesn't have the balls to make you happy.

If you have the 4.6 and you're coming out of Crosby on your way to Remer... And a little Old gramma is slow poking in front of you... YOU WILL be crawling to Remer at 30 MPH...

Gas mileage is difference is very small...

And if you're looking for a Bit of a Silver lining... My F-150 5.4L, Still gets better gas mileage than my Buddy's 4.7L Dakota!

ok here are the 05 ratings.

5.4L hp300 torque 365

4.6 hp248 torque 294

If you find a heck of a deal on a 4.6, go with it, otherwise go with the 5.4, either will work to pull a boat of any size, I have a 03 with the 5.4, used to own a ranger, the gas milage between an F150 and a ranger(4.0L) isnt that much different ( a couple MPG) so I would guess it's the same between a 4.6 and a 5.4. Maybee a little worse like some have said since it will have to work a little harder to get up those steep hills and such.

Buy a Chevy it should solve your problems...

Anytime you're driving in hilly country you're not going to be able to use OD, especially with cruise on. But, when on flat or moderate inclines, the 5.4 handles it very nicely in OD. In borderline situations I drive with cruise off and if it starts pulling harder, just drop out of OD until thing level out.

Another vote for the 5.4. I have an 04 and love it.