• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Plethora of Pontoons!

Minnesota_Herb

I have to preface this post by stating I own one myself.

Is it just me, or are there an insane number of pontoons on the water these days? I literally counted 150 pontoons on Upper and Lower Clam Lake alone (Siren,WI), not to mention the dozens in the Clam River. All but three were docked at the time. It just seems like a lot for 1500 acres of water. Am I off on this?

Food for thought: A conservative estimate shows the total area of 150 pontoons to equal nearly an acre.

The wife and i switched up to a pontoon boat last year. They are just more comfortable! As I get older I find I like the comfort factor a lot. They take a bit of getting used to, but once you get the boat handling down it really is a fine fishing boat. It also easy to do repairs on wiring, and to make additions to things on the deck such as trolling motors and seat bases as you have easy access underneath.

There are many pontoons on the Mississippi near where I live. Many have the built-in lift system and gather in groups in shallow areas of the river. It's an odd sight to see the pontoons completely out of the water while parked many yards from shore.

8 hours sitting in a 16 foot lund was misery.The lund is gone and i now have a 28 foot pontoon.I dont miss the lund.

The baby boomers are right around that age. They selling their speed boats and trading them in for pontoons.

• 1 month later...

221 pontoons on Clam Lake (Siren,WI) 07/28/2007.

I was trolling around Prior Lake and also on Spring lake in Scott Co and had noticed a number of pontoons on the docks...

it seemed like every other dock held a pontoon. I never did get a good count (as i was distracted after 1/4 way around), but i was up to 50 on prior and 20 something on spring.

admit they look comfortable, but still wouldn't trade my 18'r.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

If you have a lake home or cabin a pontoon is a must have. Still got to have the fishing boat though.

I was looking at them this winter at a show. Wow! the manufacturers are putting some thought into the pontoons now. Very comfortable and fishable. with 90 hp they can move too. I can see how they are becoming more popular.

There are a couple of them on our lake that pull skiers and tubs. I know one that will run 35MPH or better

I've seen one with 175hp on it! I bet that can do over 40 easy. My 10 year old nephew claims a friend of his has a 300hp on one, but I'm not sure if that is true or not.

Buddy of mine had a 300 on his 22 foot pontoon, 72 MPH and the sound was obnoxious as he!!, lots of repair time. Another guy used to bring an 18 footer out here, had a 300 on it, scary fast, he was constantly having the tubes repaired to, kept tearing them open. Where's the water patrol when you need em'. blush.gifblush.gif

72 on a pontoon? Holy smokes!!! Better hope you don't need to turn.

2 words........booze cruise. If you own lake property and don't have to move the beast all over creation they are the way to go. I don't own either but have fished and cruised around in a pontoon and they are great. Some have bathrooms and grills too. Throw in the rods, a giant cooler full of beer and food, some towels, and you can stay out all day. If you're tired, take a nap. Hungry? Throw a steak on the grill. Full of Beer? use the toilet (ladies really like this option). The ones with the lifts built in a really cool. With a built in lift you don't have to buy one, or pull it in and out every year, and you can just pull up to a sand bar and go for a swim. I should be selling these for a living grin.gifgrin.gif

Ha! Yep, that works.

Or, if you have dogs and grandkids and a bunch of people who come to the lake, the pontoon is a Godsend! I have my old pontoon at lake, and working on making one of the fishing boats a permanent fixture there too, but the pontoon is a necessity. I bet on our little 200 acre lake, there is a pontoon on at least 95% of the docks, and then plenty of fishing boats and speed boats as second boats.

On Big Marine, we have a redneck regatta every weekend. We tie up four or five or more pontoon boats (fishing boats are encouraged to join) and soak up the sun and the beer. Look at all the pretty women in the little bikinis! Yes. Life is good!

We call it pontoon parade at my place in N Wis. I love mine but kinda slow when trying to get from point A to B when stricly fishing. With a bow mount motor and front sonar I can do everything in it except when very windy.