• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bear Ball?

Boar

Has anyone used that bear ball made by bear scent prod. It's a 18lb ball of scent, various kinds, you hang from a tree an it slowly drips over time about three mounths they say. I'm compelled to try it but for 50 bucks I can put out scent with out that cost just a little more hassle. Later Boar

I was hoping someone was going to reply to this one. I have looked at this for the last few years, but $50 for one thing?...like you boar, I guess I can do more with $50.

Plus, with my luck, I'd have it hangin' there and after the first night one smart bear would figure out a way to snag the ball out of the tree.... tongue.gif

I have not tried this scent ball before. However I am going to try it this year. I am going to get a bacon and blueberry scent balls. I called that place and checked for the extra shipping. For my place here it is an extra $13.00 so you are looking at $63 for just one item and like was previously stated if you get one smart bear that might only last you one night. Previous seasons I have not had the money to get the "extras" when it comes to baiting. This year I have saved so I am going to get this item. I will let you know how it works. It also takes 5-7 days to come in when ordering.

I stoped buy Strieffs sporting goods in warroad MN an they carry other products by the same distributer but had,nt heard of the ball, then it dawned on me, I'm gonna try a some hickory scent in a drip bag used for mock scrapes for white tails, 1 1/4 oz scent should last aweek it says an drip daytime only with rise in temperature, well daytime is when ya want a bear in site so for 12 bucks for the drip bag an 12 buck for the hickory scent cuts the price in half or more. onother drip bag or two an you have multiple scents that drip in daytime. It wont put out as much scentas the ball but it's worth a try. What do you guys think? Boar

sounds like it would be worth a shot....i'm gonna buy a bunch of liquid smoke for cheap at walmart and mix it with used fryer grease for scent.

Boar- That makes sense. Drippers drip in daytime. Why not? I myself am going to try the ball. It looks awesome in the pictures so I will give it a try.

I myself would like to see them make one half the size an half the price, I dont think I would need somthing that last up to three months when all you want is to get them into the site, an let goody's in the crib keep the bear coming back, so a smaller ball at a smaller price that would last say, a month would be more practicle for me an my pocket book, therefore allowing me to save for another ball of different scent on next pay period persay. Anyway I'm still really tempted. I e-mailed bear scents in this subject I'll let ya know what his response is. Boar

I tried the scrape dripper and liquid smoke trick a couple of years ago and the dripper seemed to keep getting clogged after a week or two. oh well. As for the ball I too think the $50 could be better spent (ie: gas money for the baiting trips) but I have used other bear sent products and and now I won't bait without them. I used the bacon scent spary last year (used almost a gallon of it) and the big paw scent. Big paw dosen't smell much right out of the jar but when you put it over a sterno you better make sure your upwind of it, It gives off an extremely sweet smell. Last year my bear came in within 10 minutes of starting the sterno. Let me know how the ball works, make sure you hang it high!!!!!!!

P.S. I will try posting trail cam pics of my bait last year.

Here are just a couple of the trail cam pics:

ICAM0120.jpgICAM0021.jpg

The top pic is the bear that came right in to the Big Paw and the one I shot. The reason the camera is turned is because the bear turned it a little sideways when he came to check it out. These baits were about 1.5 miles apart. The bottom pic is of a sow and 3 cubs, we had 5 or 6 bears hitting that bait, untill the 4 wheelers got to thick. I hope you guys like them!

Awesome pics. I also think the $50 could be used for gas but I am hunting 10 miles away from home this year. grin.gifWe abouts were you hunting Antler?

Nice pics ATC, what was the shull on that bear, looks about 18-19" Looks just like mine two years ago at 19 3/8" Later boar

Biff, we were south of Mcgregor almost a 2 hour drive for me. My dad also took a nice bear with his crossbow opening night, about 2 miles from where I got mine. Unfortunatly I didn't get drawn in the lottery this year (still can't believe it confused.gif). My dad got drawn, so I guess I will be driving him and baiting for him this year. I going to try baiting a bear I've gotten trail cam pics of near St. Cloud in no quota area. He is big boar and I'm sure he's pretty smart, so it should be interesting.

Boar, The pic of the bear I shot is a little decieving, I think because his head was close to the camera. It actually dressed out at only around 150 lbs, but I decided to take it because of its unique chocalate brown color. It should make a really nice mount (if I get time to do it) grin.gif.

Antler

What trail camera would you recommend for bear hunting that cost less than $100?

Biff

I bought a moultrie 2.1 mgp model for bear hunting last fall. I am very happy with it. The trigger speed of the camera is slower than my cuddeback but even at around 3 seconds I still get great pics. I paid $99 last fall for mine but after I bought 2 memmory cards and a couple batteries you'll be looking closer to $150. I would suggest geting rechargable batteries, if possible, the moultrie rechargable are ok but I heard they build up a memmory after repeated charging that is why I use a 6 volt rechargable (like a lawn mower battery). It doesn't fit in the case but with a couple power wires and a small hole drilled in the bottom of the case it will work great. Also use a small lag bolt to screw the camera to the tree insted of the cheap bungi cords that come with it. This will keep it from "walking away" by either bear or human. I get around 1 or 2 months of battery life depending on the # of pics. Don't point the camera directly at the bait because it could spook the bears with repeated flashing of the camera or just set the dalay to longer period of time. The trail cam really helped me figure out the times that the bear were coming in. Around 80% of the time the bears would come in between 11:00 am and 3:00 pm and often within just an hour or two of baiting. There is also a very recent post in the hunting forum you might want to check out on the very same subjet.