• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

DL the one that got away -- true story

Ok -- I do have one very painful story to tell you. First of all I am NOT one to add on to a story or the size of a fish. At least I am not doing it now. wink.gif

Anyway after doing very well Wednesday am I had a very nice hit. A big fish -- no question about it. I brought him up and before the "guide" could get the net he surfaced. My dad and I saw a monster walleye. I saw him out of the water so I know he was big -- not just "water" big.

He must have seen the net and he did one last run. and broke my line -- or at least I thought. When I reeled up I had a jig that was attached to my hook. Yes, a huge mister twister that was starting to rust. It had some line attached to it as well.

My guess is that when I set the hook I caught the other guys hook!!!!

What are the odds of that?

The fish had to be between 8-12 pounds and I am guessing about 30 inches -- like 10 pounds. Man that is tough to deal with.

What are the odds? I guess that is how they get big -- they get smarter and they have to be a little lucky.

100 percent true story.

Anyone else have any good ones like that?

I was fishing in the BWCA one summer, and we were catching little walleyes below the waterfalls. I was pulling one in when the line just stopped. I figured i hit a snag. After some pulling, it started to move. I thought a branch or something, but when it got close to shore it was a huge Pike, and no sooner did I see it, when it let go of the walleye. I got the walleye in, the skin was all shredded up.

True story

Wazz shocked.gif

I have also brought up a northern with a walleye in his mouth. Those D@&*# Notherns.

blasted snot rockets. I got a fish on Mille Lacs this weekend that was a 8" walleye and it had huge teeth marks in the side of him. I could only imaging the size of the Walleye that took a bit of him. LOL. I am sure it was a fresh water crocidile.

Dead --

You have been kinda quiet lately -- have you been milkin' too many big females (eyes) or what? wink.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifcool.gif

Thats because hes been slamming the walleyes with his fly rod by Fergus Falls.

My buddy once caught a 29" walleye where the hook pulled around one of the lower front fins and stunned him. The hook was not penetrating, nor wrapped around the fin...just pulled like a cane around it. The stunned fish floated to the surface and was pulled in. I netted it, and as soon as the hook slid off the fin...he frantically thrashed in the net.

Of course, this foul hooked fish was released....

been out of town with the job too much.

not all of us can have cushy jobs at the paper tongue.gif

Yeah -- It is a tough job but somebody has to do it!!

th_biggerwalleye.jpg

I was on vacation a couple of weeks ago and got these. It's my first 30" walleye. Ten minutes after this I got this 26" walleye. Caught on a leech, lindy in 23 fow on Lizzie. Never had big numbers of walleyes on Lizzie but they seem to run good size. Both fish were released. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to had the 30" on the wall but funds are tight. Later, my brother let me in on a little secret. You can skip a house payment to mount a fish. He said the bank is very understanding of emergencies like this. Top is the 30" and bottom is the 26".th_bigwalleye.jpg

Quote:

the bank is very understanding of emergencies like this.

grin.gif

They don't mind if you skip out on house payments either as long as the boat payment is on time. wink.gif

While fishing walleyes on Pelican lake a couple years back, I had a very nice walleye bite. I could tell it was a nice fish by the thump he gave. I feed it a bunch of line and set the hook. To my dismay I missed it so i began reeling in to chech my bait. When I got reeled in I was shocked to see the hook firmly buried into a half digested 7" perch. As near as I can figure, the walleye swallowed the hook and I caught this lunch from the day before. Imagine what the walleye thought after I jerked it out his tummy. Funny.

Brewer

Brew --

I had a similar situation a few years ago. This one was ice fishing, however. Had a decent fish, lost it and it still felt like something was them. It was a 5-inch perch that was getting pretty yucky looking.

This one always pains me to remember. Three years ago I was trolling a Super Shad Rap on lead core for pike. A fish smacked that Rap like no tommorrow and seconds later a muskie leaped out of the water dragging 45 yards of lead core with him. After a good fight the biggest fish of my life was tired and ready to be landed. I am not a muskie fisherman but do carry a cradle net in my boat to use on larger pike. When it approaced the boat I noticed that my fireline leader was crossed in her mouth. My fishing partner swooped down to cradle the fish but the leading treble got caught in the net, the muskie shook her head busted the line and swam slowly back to the depths. After we both had a few minutes to to figure out how we let that fish slip through our fingers my buddy said, that fish was well over 50" crazy.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Yes! I missed one like that! Was fishing a small lake near Star this June,,, New 8 pound test floricarbine line! Flipped a "Worm" (The Worm! Punkinseed/Chartreuse tail) right next to a dock. Let it sink for about 10 seconds, gave a tug, let it rest about 5 seconds, then tug and WHAM! It hit the worm like Albert Pujols hitting a homer at Bush Stadium! As I was realling it in, He came straight up out of the water, twisting and turning, like some slow motion Bass TV show, and I knew he had to be in the 8 to 10 pound range! After all these years, I had hooked the Big One!

I looked over at my friends boat with his Son, about 50 feet away, that were watching and said, "Boy! Ain't that pretty?!" Then about 10 seconds later,,, He broke my line!

My friends Son said, "That, Weren't Pretty!"!!!

No it wasn't! But you win some and loose some, and it sure was nice to see that Big Bass come out of the water!

I've come to realize, that I may never catch that Big one! But I catch lots of fish when others in the same boat don't!

The thing to remember is to have a good time!

Good fishing to all of You! And remember,,,,,,,

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

I'm sure you may have heard Bill Dance say "Take a man fishing and you entertain him for a day, but teach him to fish and you will introduce him to a lifetime of joy".

Take a Kid fishing, and you'll see what I mean!

Good luck fishing,,,,,,,,,,,