• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Channel Cats

Looking to go out on Lake Rebbecca in Hastings Sunday morning with the trolling motor. And hopefully get some cats. I have heard that there are plenty in there. And according to the DNR site, there are tons of them.

Anyway, what set up is used for catching cats? Is it like catching carp? Will I need a net to bring em in? Live bait, or a rig of some sort? If so, what? Any ideas???

A good starting rig is a standard slip-sinker rig. About 2-4 oz. weight (bank or no-roll if you're in current) and a leader (not wire) between 8 and 18" long (depending on current, etc.). A net might be handy, especially from a boat. Live bait, cut bait, livers, crawlers. If it swims, stinks, floats or sinks, a channel cat will eat it.

Look through some of the past posts in the cat forum. You'll find a lot of good info. Good luck.

Ben

The last few outings this year and last year I have not been able to catch any Channel Cats out of Rebecca. I tried just about every bait available and have been skunked.

Im pretty sure they are still in there though. I just hadn't had any luck landing them. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

I don't think there's too many channel cats in Rebecca. I spent half a day patrolling the lake using my died in the wool former Iowan catfishing tactics...didn't even get a nibble.

I was at the minnesota river over night last night in jordan and i picked up a couple channel cats...all i was using was an egg sinker,snap swivel, and a leader with a circle hook at the end. i got the cats on both dead sucker minnows and night crawlers!!!