• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
GottaGo

Eating fish

GottaGo

I got a question for all you river rats: Do you eat fish you catch out of the mississippi? I grew up right across the street from the river and was always told that the water was dirty and that it was not good to eat fish from it. Do you think this is true? I've heard a lot of people talk about how good catfish are, and I wouldn't mind trying a few if they are ok to eat? Maybe I need to find a different place not the mississippi where I can catch some?

big musk411

I don't eat fish much at all, but I don't think the river is a polluted as people think. I read on the DNR website that you can eat one meal per month, unless you are a small child or a woman in child bearing years. I see others fishing out there who definatly eat more than one meal per month. I meal of smaller sized cats won't hurt you. The last catfish I ate was from the Cloquet River and it was tasty smile.gif.

EBass

Just check the regs, smaller catfish should be great, but I wouldn't eat any bigger cats. The older it is the longer its built up pcp's and merc. That goes for any fish river or lake. The only Merc I like is my outboard.

Sartell Angler

we eat walleyes we get in the winter (and sometimes during the spring/summer) and have no worries...just don't go nuts eating them all the time and you should be fine.

On a related subject, who gets a little defensive when no-knowers start spouting off about how dirty the 'sip is and how worthless it is (especially compared to a lake)? These people are oblivious to what a gem the river really is. Oh well less people in my way out there!

SA/wdw

river rat316

Just agree with them, no need to increase the pressure even more with people that have no Idea how to navigate or fish a river

GottaGo

I have to say a lot of people that claim the river is dirty fish it frequently. At least I do, but I don't mind throwing back every fish I catch; therefore, when people tell me the river is polluted, I'll believe them since it won't affect my fishing. It's also easy to believe since it is such a long river that runs thru a lot of cities and has a lot of other rivers that flow into. Anyways, back to the point, I think I probably will take home a few of the cats I catch on my next trip and give them a try. Thanks for the input guys.