• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

DUI and Canada

What is the process of crossing the border for a fishing trip with a DUI? I was told that I need to wait 5 years before I can submit my application and 200 dollars for "permission". Has anyone had to deal with this and/or is there a way to speed up the process? Much thanks!!!

If your DUI is under five years old forget it. If they catch you they send you packing. If it is over 5 years old you may get in by applying for a Ministers permit and paying a $200 processing fee or applying for a Permanent Certificate of Rehabilitation which is only a cool $1,000. If the offense is over 10 years old you may be admitted under the new "deemed rehabilitation clause". Do a search for TIAC Customs and Borders and you can research it for yourself. I think a lot of business owners connected with the tourist trade are raising cain about their paying customers being turned back at the border. That combined with high fuel prices and a shrinking exchange rate are keeping some people south of the border. It's still nice to know that you can buy your way out of being considered a felon though.

This has got to be one of the most frequently asked questions on this site, its right up there with "How they biting". Seems like atleast one thread every other week pops up about this same issue.

I didn't realize there are so many people with DUI convictions out there.

Quote:

I didn't realize there are so many people with DUI convictions out there.

A LOT more than you would think.

I'm not going out on a limb to say that most people have no idea what it takes to get to .08. A couple tall beers at your local sports bar and you better be careful. You don't need to consume a 12 pack to be legally intoxicated.

Police are also well trained to detect impaired drivers.

Look around you- neighbors, co-workers, friends, classmates. Businessman, teachers, bankers, salesman, lawyers, etc. These are all folks getting picked up these days. A couple after work

I stopped by Chammps last night for dinner after work and the patio was hopping good. 2 for 1s and a parking lot full of vehicles. Majority of those folks were at risk when they left. They have no idea that they are about to make a life changing decision when they decide to drive home.

I am always overly cautious I guess. I usually just get one beer if we go out to dinner or if we are going out to the bar we always have a DD.

Got to think before you drink these days. If you think you are fine to drive you need to think again with the .08 limit.

Getting a DUI is pretty much a numbers game and an easy arrest for an officer that sees you. If you stop after work and have a "few" before continuing on your way home, you will get one eventually and the .08 makes it even easier. Around here the police concentrate their attention in certain areas at certain times to make DUI arrests and I think it is the same all over. Here they have even been known to go into the parking lots and put electrical tape on tail lights to identify vehicles that may have an impaired driver. They will also get the type of paint that is used on store windows for advertizing and paint an x on your headlight while walking through the parking lot. When they pull you over they stop behind your vehicle and pull the tape off while acting like they are writing your license number down. Then when they walk up to talk to you they lean in the window so they can smell your breath. You know the rest of the story. Pretty crappy of them to do this, but they get away with it so why not. They hang around the VFW and Moose clubs like flies.

Quote:

Pretty crappy of them to do this

Its pretty crappy for people to get behind the wheel after drinking as well. If you are over the .08 limit and a cop catches you lets not blame the cop lets blame the person who consumed the alcohol.

Quote:

Quote:

Pretty crappy of them to do this

Its pretty crappy for people to get behind the wheel after drinking as well. If you are over the .08 limit and a cop catches you lets not blame the cop lets blame the person who consumed the alcohol.

I agree 100% but I don't think the tape on the tail lights and paint on the headlights is the right way to do it. I didn't think it was right when two of our cops got caught smoking pot and got suspended (with pay) for their punishment either. Maybe this type of thing is ok for them.

I agree the cops should play by the rules as well. But when people get caught they have a tendency to blame the cops or the laws and not themselves. I know if I got caught I would be mad as well but it would be my own fault in the end.

I don't call that a punishment when they get suspended with pay I call that a vacation.

The fact that the cops are marking these vehicles this way, is ilegal. So they too are breaking the law. If someone can prove they are doing this, they could get in trouble for it also.

Ok guys.. let's try and keep this focused on DUI's and Canada and not turn into a cop bashing thread...

Thanks

marine_man

Like I posted in the last DUI/Canada thread. I have been going there for 11 or 12 years. We hand them our passports. they ask where we are going, what are we doing, how much alcohol, tobacco, any food items like fruit etc., then we go inside and fill out a form to get our guns acrossed. Never once have I been asked about a DUI, to see my dogs vacination records, how many shells I have (Knock on wood). One guy that goes with us has a DWI and he has never had a problem. But he does know that he isn't allowed we are still going. So he always drives his little car. WE usually take an F350 Crew cab and 5 guys so if he has to go back 4 guys in the truck wouldn't be bad at all.

This is one day of hunting in Canada for us. We do all our own scouting, asking permission from farmers, and calling

100_4960.jpg

If a family member was killed by a drunk driver then one would not care how people recieve thier DUI's. I recieved one many years ago and now think back and believe that I was very lucky that I never hurt another person as this would be almost impossible to live with.

One might think they go through alot after recieving a DUI, but who thinks about the family members of a person that died because of a drunk driver.

Dont mean to preach, one just needs to think what can really happen to other innocent people.

HL,

I too have gotten a dwi, its been well over 10 yrs ago. I agree I look back, and wonder how lucky I was to not kill someone, or myself for that matter.

As for the original question, if you are planning on going to canada, it is their law to not let you in if you have had a dwi in the last 5 years, unless special app filled out. I believe if it was in the last 2 forget it, and more then 1 dwi, forget it. If you chance going there anyway, chances are you wont get caught, but just be prepaired with other plans if you do. So you arent sitting at the border and cant get in , and everyone else in your party can, you will wreck there plans too.

I think its safe to say 99.99999999999999999 percent of all DWI's don't involve any tape or marking of lights thats just plain ridiculous to say the least.

I was talking to a former cop and he said that most cops really don't like to hand out DUIs because of the amount of paper work and the time it takes; he said it take something like 6 hours to process a DUI. I don't think many would be out there trying to make that much work for themselves by putting some sort of markers on cars in a parking lot of a bar.

Where I live, if you fail their sobriety field tests they throw ya in the back of their car, haul ya to the emergency room, make ya donate some blood for an alcohol test and take ya to the county jail where some bored deputies take your picture and prints and do the paper work. They hate writing DUIs so much that they tape you so they can play the the casette in court. They seem to go to a whole bunch of work for something they don't like to do. When you get arrested for DUI they tow your car to imponnd it and the tape or wax paint is removed there. Seems like they love DUIs in my world.

pier,

I wasnt the one saying cops did it or didnt do it, what I was saying is if they did, it is ilegal. I wasnt saying it is wrong, just ilegal! I dont want a bunch of stumbeling drunks on the road either.

Lets face it driving drunk is against the law. If you break the law and get a ticket a person can blame only themselves.

There is a real easy way to avoid a DUI, don' drive when you are/have been drinking. Call a friend, call your wife, call a cab, have a designated driver, they all work.

JUST A LITTLE INFO,,,,, IN MINNESOTA THERE ARE APPROXIMATELY 470,000 PEOPLE WITH AT LEAST 1 DUI CONVICTION ON THEIR DRIVING RECORD. LAST YEAR IN MINNESOTA ALONE, THERE WERE OVER 40,000 DUI ARRESTS. JUST A BIT OF INFO FOR EVERYONE.

Quote:

What is the process of crossing the border for a fishing trip with a DUI? I was told that I need to wait 5 years before I can submit my application and 200 dollars for "permission". Has anyone had to deal with this and/or is there a way to speed up the process? Much thanks!!!

I think the post got a bit side tracked...