• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
tmvikings

Trailer Lights

Question

tmvikings

On my boat trailer I have the passenger side wire ran and it works great, but on the driver’s side the turn signal is very faint and will not turn on when the brake light pedal is on. I tied it another way and the brake pedal worked but the signal light was still faint and when I would turn on the passenger blinker both sides would blink. Help please—should note that I am tying in on the driver’s side.

6 answers to this question

Sandmannd

Do you have an adaptor that goes to your truck? I had the same type of problem and rewired the trailer to come up with the same problem. It has the four prong connecter that goes into an adaptor to the truck. I got a new adaptor and it worked fine. Seems they go out a lot, had to replace it this year too.

lawdog

It might be the 7-4 adapter, or it might be a ground issue, or it could be that you have something wired wrong on the pickup plug too. Very hard to diagnose these things without some more info. What's the tow vehicle and what plug/adaptor are you using? Trailer have brakes?

Scott K

sounds like a bad ground, try just overlaying a ground from your truck chasis, to the trailer frame, if it works good, clean and or fix the ground wire.

Musky_Madness

just get it over with and buy sealed LED lights...you will never have a problem. Leave them plugged in all the time in or out of the water on or off....no problems and saves all the hassles of trailer lights and takes away the questions on the trip of "are they working? I wonder if my blinker is on? Is my tail'light lit up?" Get LED...can't go wrong!

lawdog

That doesn't fix anything if the lights are wired wrong to start with...

Jeremy airjer W

What kind of vehicle do you have? (year make and model)

It sounds like you are trying to wire directly to the vehicle. This will work if the brake light and turn signal are the same bulb.

The left brake/turn signal is the yellow wire and will need to be wired to the left side of the vehicle.

The right brake/turn signal is the green wire and will need to be wired to the right side of the vehicle.

The brown wire is the tail lights and can be wired to either side of the vehicle.

The white wire is the ground wire. It is very important that this is on a good ground for both the vehicle and the trailer.

My guess is that you either have a bad socket or you may have incorrectly wired the harness, or a combination of the two.